What have you seen lately?

Is that your land Bob? I reallly got get some feeding system out on my plot soon.

That’s behind my dads house. It’s a narrow strip connecting too wood lots. He enjoys the pics.

The feeder is 4” pvc and will hold 20-25 pounds of corn. They much interested in that now. The mineral lick and apples I drop are what’s holding their interest.

I buy a 50# red mineral rock at the feed store and cut it into 6ths with a sawzall. Once down the middle and the each side gets cut in thirds. You end up with 6 blocks 1/2 the cost of a trophy rock and they will be gone before the season opens up.

It doesn’t work quite as well as the Trophy rock but the price is right.

Next time I hit Tractor Supply I’m going to pick up some B&J BB2 to mix in with the corn.

Bob

I need a reference for that so I can lol. I’m not sure what John Kerry has to do with field mice. Consider me ignorant.

It's a take-off on something he said during his (thankfully) failed presidential bid in 2004 (?). He was in the midwest somewhere and it a clumsy attempt to make it seem like he was firearms friendly asked "Can I get me a hunting license here?".

John "Effing" Kerry.

[cheers]

Kerry Thinks Midwesterners Are Idiots, “Can I Get Me a Hunting License Here?”​

Oct 22, 2004

They’re writing the pre-obits, but there’s a piece. I have it here. Some guy… Where’s he from? This guy is not even American. This is so typical. Hang on here. It’s from Chile. Chile. Ariel Dorfman has written a piece that John Kerry is just too smart to be president of the United States. It’s because you people, all of us, the American people, are a bunch of dolts. We’re a bunch of dunces. We are too stupid to understand him. We are so stupid we fall for this Protestant/Catholic/Christian evangelism. Oh, it’s just perfect. So sit tight. But this is Kerry, going in for a hunting license yesterday in Ohio. He’s going into a sporting goods store. This is what he said.
KERRY: Can I little me a hunting license here?

APP-20201-042221-Kerry-Hunting-2.jpg

RUSH: Did you hear that? “Can I get me a huntin’ license heyah?” Can I get me a hunting license here? Now, ladies and gentlemen, we all know that John Kerry doesn’t speak that way. We know it. But that’s what he thinks the people in Ohio will judge him as a real guy, if he walks in there and says: “Hey, can I get me a hunting license here?” But he blew it because it’s not, “Can I get me a hunting license?” If he really wanted to carry this off, he should have said, “Hey, can I get me a huntin’ license in here, dude?” or some such thing as that. So, I mean, if there’s any doubt, folks. The whole thing was a put on photo op. The Democrats today are even admitting that’s what it was. But Kerry has to go in and say, “Can I get me a hunting license here?”

Anyone seen the bear in Taunton/Norton/Lakeville/whatever.

I'd like to know how it crossed the Taunton River. Like, where??? Did it just swim across or take a human-bridge. LOL. People in Lakeville seem to be losing their minds over it.

Turkey hunting with my son yesterday behind our house.
I managed to call in a healthy dark colored coyote to about 15 yards. He locked up, stared at us for a bit and then took off.
That was exciting and real great for the turkey hunt.....:rolleyes:

The hummingbird wars have started around the house. 2 feeders, 4 birds. It's fun watching the insane little bastards dogfight, but I'm not sure when they find time to actually eat. One bird regards both feeders as personal property, two more are disputing that with him, and the fourth is sneaking in to feed while the other 3 are trying to out fly each other. When they spot that, the other 3 chase him off.

Anyone seen the bear in Taunton/Norton/Lakeville/whatever.

I'd like to know how it crossed the Taunton River. Like, where??? Did it just swim across or take a human-bridge. LOL. People in Lakeville seem to be losing their minds over it.
Bears are damn good swimmers. Not fast, but they won't down. It was just last year one was spotted crossing the Fox Island Thoroughfare over to Vinalhaven from North Haven, ME. To get to North Haven, he had to swim about 12 miles in open ocean.

Went camping at Bradbury mountain this weekend with friends. While a few of us were hanigng out chatting, a fisher walked by the end of our camp and just stared at us for a bit. Didn't stay around long enough for a photo though, so I guess it didn't really happen.

Last edited:
Saw the biggest Black Bear in existence run across the Rt 16 in Center Ossipee, NH on Saturday morning. I could see the back of the bear over the hood of the car in front of me. that friggin thing was monstrous. Wish I had a dashcam.

On this morning's ride at Naugy:

And, of course:

Red eft on the bottom. They’re pretty bright and predators learn fast not to mess with them for their skin is extremely toxic. They might hang out above land for 5-7 years like this then go aquatic as adult for another 5 or so years.

Red eft on the bottom. They’re pretty bright and predators learn fast not to mess with them for their skin is extremely toxic. They might hang out above land for 5-7 years like this then go aquatic as adult for another 5 or so years.
Yep.

Funny red eft story re: Naugy:

The day of the big storm (tornados, etc.) - May 15, 2018 - I rode that morning over there. Air you could wear. That we were going to have some kind of severe weather that afternoon wasn't surprising. Anyway, in the past I've seen them around a particular log on the southern end of the property. That day, I was coming down the (apropos) red trail, when I got to a typically wet patch under the power lines. And I spotted one. I had never seen one there before. Then - oh, look! - there's another. Then another, and another and another and...

There were HUNDREDS, and they were marching down the red trail, a few feet apart. I've never seen anything like it before. I had to stop and walk the bike - carrying it some of the time - all the way down to the second reservoir in fear of squishing them.

That afternoon we got clobbered.

Last edited:
On this morning's ride at Naugy:

And, of course:

It's that time of year. When a snapper's thoughts turn to luuuuuv. (Actually they were bonding a bit ago. Now it's egg-dropping time. Depending on when I get the boat in the water, we see a good amount of turtle-humping going on.)

It's that time of year. When a snapper's thoughts turn to luuuuuv. (Actually they were bonding a bit ago. Now it's egg-dropping time. Depending on when I get the boat in the water, we see a good amount of turtle-humping going on.)
There was a flattened one rt .68. Too bad. Gotta watch out for the crossings.

Last edited:
Not that I saw it, but still pretty cool.

Info About Bear Sightings Reported by Cohasset Police​

While we haven't had any bear sightings in Hingham yet, you may be aware Cohasset Police have reported that a bear was seen there today and it may head to Hingham or into Wompatuck State Park. It is likely to be same bear who was nicknamed "Boo-Boo" by several area police departments. Please note that if the bear is sighted in Hingham, you do not need to call to report bear sightings now to the Hingham Police unless it is a hazardous situation for you or for the bear. The Massachusetts Environmental Police are monitoring the situation and will only take steps to relocate the bear if it is in danger. Published reports have said this has not been the case so far.

I've spent a lot of time in Wompatuck and have heard rumors of a bear but never actually saw one. Now it's a mission.

There was a flattened one rt .68. Too bad. Gotta watch out for the crossings.

That sucks. They can look acary and are downright prehistoric, but they really don’t bother people.

There is a huge one in Clear Pond in Lakeville. Hangs out near the swimming platform. Basically just swims away when people come near. But people do freak out at times. Lol

Walk in the woods on private land near West Branch Ware River headwaters.

Mature green false hellebore (Indian Poke)
2BC65C5A-BAB5-438D-87A8-7E68DD4596BA.jpeg
Indian Cucumber
5D9E0563-390B-4EC4-BFDB-478A20805117.jpeg
Baby Pricker82FD82A9-F43C-4B11-B6B5-F55641B383E6.jpeg
Red Eft
81CA2A79-382E-4DCF-906C-8869245F1101.jpeg

Have you tried Indian cucumber?
Not yet but will harvest some for sure. Sarsaparilla is at belly busting levels on my plot. Indian cuke too. Any guidance on seasonality and best culinary practice? I’ve been experimenting with teas. Spice Bush and Chaga. Simply awesome tasting with health benefits that I cannot fathom.

Not yet but will harvest some for sure. Sarsaparilla is at belly busting levels on my plot. Indian cuke too. Any guidance on seasonality and best culinary practice? I’ve been experimenting with teas. Spice Bush and Chaga. Simply awesome tasting with health benefits that I cannot fathom.
Absolutely love chaga. 1/2 coffee 1/2 chaga is a go to for me. Great anti turmeric.

Indian cucumber like most root crops, is best harvested in the fall. You eat the root. It tastes like cucumber. It’s delicious but small.

True sarsaparilla? Smilax glauca? Or false sarsaparilla, Araila nudacaulis?

As with any wild harvest, take only ten percent, especially when harvesting root crops. 😃

Absolutely love chaga. 1/2 coffee 1/2 chaga is a go to for me. Great anti turmeric.

Indian cucumber like most root crops, is best harvested in the fall. You eat the root. It tastes like cucumber. It’s delicious but small.

True sarsaparilla? Smilax glauca? Or false sarsaparilla, Araila nudacaulis?

As with any wild harvest, take only ten percent, especially when harvesting root crops. 😃
Haha, Aralia nudicaulis. False. Or we can call it wild liqourice to make it sound better?

With personal consumption I might be at .008% of all floral specie 😁

Three Leaf Gold Thread is abundant too and is a nice chewable from time to time with the berberin.

Back
Top Bottom