• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

I had a doe and two fawns here in the yard so regularly I was about to name them backstrap, sausage, and burger. Then a couple weeks ago down the road I saw a dead doe. Afraid it could have been 'mine'. Someone then put a Tim Lang for senate sign up by the dead doe, lol.

Haven't seen anything until today. Looks like the fawns are still healthy and doing their thing. Super skittish which IMO is good.

IMG_1482.jpg

10 yards from my tree stand this morning, a grey squirrel was foraging. A Cooper's hawk dove down to the forest floor and attempted a snatch & grab of the squirrel. The squirrel wriggled and evaded capture. The defeated hawk perched 8 yards away from me before moving on. The squirrel shook it off and resumed foraging. He looked a bit thin, and I'm not seeing acorns this season.

10 yards from my tree stand this morning, a grey squirrel was foraging. A Cooper's hawk dove down to the forest floor and attempted a snatch & grab of the squirrel. The squirrel wriggled and evaded capture. The defeated hawk perched 8 yards away from me before moving on. The squirrel shook it off and resumed foraging. He looked a bit thin, and I'm not seeing acorns this season.
My yard is getting a record crop of acorns. PM me if you want to make an appointment to get some. Backing out of my driveway sounds like popping bubble wrap.

Sat AM. 8:15. She just wandered through the back yard eating the shoots on some deleafed woodland growth. Had to have been out there for a half hour or more. Traffic going by. No other deer. Just her. Very odd.

IMG_9390.jpg

Also had a double-rainbow this AM at the office. One left by the time I got my phone out. And faded even more by the time I got the office lights off.

IMG_9391.jpg

Saw a whole flock of turkeys this morning, about 20. Already punched my tag for them so no dice for me. I then saw the geese I was looking for and killed one in that field and another from that small group fleeing a pond.

Right after this I got a message from a friend about a roadkill doe in the area but was not successful in finding her, I think someone else got there first.

Attachments

• IMG_20221102_215706.jpg
    IMG_20221102_215706.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 18
I used to see a lot of turkeys in my yard or around the neighborhood but nothing in a month or so. I bet it has something to do with the large cat I told you guys about a couple months ago. Also there is a rumor I’ve herd a couple times now that there is another bear in the woods around here. I’m in Plymouth

Dragged the popup blind out this afternoon for its second use in 15 years. I had it backed up against some thick laurel. After a few hours sitting on the tripod stool, I considered packing it in early while there was some daylight to work with. But since it was my only day to get out this week, I decided to stay put for the duration.

As the clock wound down, I heard a strange sound coming from just behind the blind. Like something rubbing against tree bark. I opened a flap to peek out of but only saw the laurel.

Shooting time is almost up. I get a headlamp ready and unload the shotgun and prepare to pack up the blind. But then I hear some rustling in the brush. A lot of it. Maybe a wounded deer? A moose? I check the time and I've got a few more minutes of shooting time left, so I quietly load a shell into the chamber and a slide in a couple of extras.

From the laurel a bear wanders out. No more than 15 yards away. He's broadside to me and presents a perfect opportunity. But I decide to lower the shotgun and let him continue on.

As I turn to go about packing up, I hear some noise again. He's headed towards me now. Still holding the shotgun, I sternly suggest to the bear that he leave. He stops in his tracks and rears up on his hind legs. I again suggest that he leave, but now in a more agreeable manner. He tilts his head while standing there staring at me. He's maybe 20 yards away. I persuade him to back down by reciting a prayer I learned on The Bear Whisperer.

Bears look a lot bigger when they're standing. And a LOT bigger when they're eyeballing you.

Bearly.jpg

Last edited:
I sat this morning for the opener - a big nothing
Driving home for an early lunch I had a kamikaze hen turkey bolt across the road, I lightly hit the brakes but she was going to make it even if I didn't. She had the biggest beard I've ever seen on a hen, like 10"s.
Only appropriate for Mass...
Why did the transgender turkey cross the road?

Back
Top Bottom