What have you seen lately?

A lot of South County is WMA including many farms. The only way some farms stayed alive is to sell to a conservation that owns the land but allows them to farm. They can pass the farm on to a relative but cannot sell it.

I considered grabbing my Ithaca from the truck and taking it myself but my client's wife is very anti everything.
During goose season she comes running barefoot to the barn I am working on in a panic about a guy with a GUN! in the field across the street. (the farmer's field)
I say "and?" She dives into the usual liberal paranoia stuff which she usually tones down around me. I explained that it's goose season and how these farmers have been hunting this land for generations and its part of the local culture. She mentions the cruelty of hunting. I point out the leather seats in her x3. There isn't another option on the x3 she explains. "That makes it worse" I say.
20 minutes later the hunter /farmer, whom I know, comes over with his goose for me to snap a pic on his phone. I gladly obliged giving a big thumbs - up to the main house.
The wife has been coming around to being understanding of the area she now lives in. It's not NYC and that's a good thing I explained to her. Hunting and farming is part of what makes our area special.

The pointer bumped a pheasant yesterday, which then took refuge in a tree. The pointer then latched onto one of the tree's lower branches, and attempted to shake the bird loose. This was not the first time this has happened but it was just as amusing to watch.

Hey - a goose is a 3-dimensional mover and the bear is 2-dimensional. I'd have less fear confronting a bear if I could fly away. LOL

When I was little, I had a dog like that. He'd look both ways and cross. He got hit twice and had to get put down. He looked, he just must have had bad depth perception or something.

Out scouting this Saturday morning. Came across this. I guess I’m getting good at finding those little indicators.

Attachments

• 16896F9A-E3C4-4AC2-BF39-1C9B91464983.jpeg
    16896F9A-E3C4-4AC2-BF39-1C9B91464983.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 40CC1B9F-614D-4CDD-978E-83BCC8A8E103.jpeg
    40CC1B9F-614D-4CDD-978E-83BCC8A8E103.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 32
Thought it odd that there were 3 different species of ducks hanging out together. You know... birds of a feather flock together?

Well I was taking a pic of them and then they scattered or dove and then the other bird got his pic taken.
birdsjpg.jpg
e1.jpg Immature Bald Eagle
e2.jpg
e3.jpg
e5.jpg

With the recent snowfall covering the ground, over the past three days I've only seen the tracks of deer and bear during my hikes. No coyote. I expect they'll soon be getting bold with hunger.

Back
Top Bottom