• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

That's one big-ass seagull. ;)

There's a guy in Lakeville that knows where the Cape Cod snowy owls are. All winter he's posted a pic a day on FB. He won't reveal where as to protect them. (Remember - mASS is the place where they used to run tour buses from Boston to the hills above the nude beaches on the CCNS 40 years ago.) But it's pretty cool to see. He's got pix of them hunting and just sitting on the beach and napping and such.

So about 5pm yesterday I'm on my 3-season porch just futzing on my iPad. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the neighborhood black cat saunter across the back yard. I look up. Definitely not hte local black cat.

IT WAS A FREAKIN FISHER!!!!! Broad daylight. Just wandering thru the yard. That was a first for me.

Never stopped so no pix.

So about 5pm yesterday I'm on my 3-season porch just futzing on my iPad. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the neighborhood black cat saunter across the back yard. I look up. Definitely not hte local black cat.

IT WAS A FREAKIN FISHER!!!!! Broad daylight. Just wandering thru the yard. That was a first for me.

Never stopped so no pix.
My wife has also seen a fisher in our backyard during daylight hours recently late morning. We thought it was odd as well.

My wife says it's raccoon mating season so maybe similar for fisher, beaver, otter, etc.,. I had a few Novembers in a row where I'd see coyotes beside busy roads just standing there. Unnatural behavior at any other time of year. The horny gets you stupid no matter what type of animal you are. LOL

Lost our fisher today. Found him freshly dead under the shed. Not sure if old age or disaster or what. Glad we found it today. Or it’d be a rotted mess in a week or two. AF7D64E4-6E6B-47FC-A9F6-1D1E2E9BA15B.jpeg

We've had a couple of swans staying in the marsh for a few weeks now. I went out to throw them some stale bread a few days ago but one of the locals, an Eastern Gull did what they do.

Saw an immature eagle at the cemetary near Tamarack park in lakeville and a mature eagle flying over Johns bait and tackle in NB last weekend.

Then today in the forest, about 15' from the road , i see something that always makes me smile. Yep, a folded bill. View attachment 461815View attachment 461816

There's at least 2 pair in Lakeville/Middleboro. One mature adult, one mostly-mature-adult (not quite white'd-out). My daughter's stable is on the Nemasket and she sees both pair often.

As far as the $20, I'd have thought it was one of those fold-up "tracks" that are fake and say, "Sorry you don't get a tip today, but if you believe in Jesus you have everlasting life" bullshit things. LOL

I can see someone putting that down. But I CAN'T see someone thinking, "let's make 10,000 of these and sell them in Christian book stores to cheap-ass Christian restaurant patrons."

And yes I've SEEN them sold at Christian book stores. Such a d-wordy move.

LOL. Not a mark on him. We WERE maybe using the pellet gun in that general area earlier in the day. But the tree that was a backstop backstopped quite well. It would have been a dumbass lucky shot to ricochet a lead pellet off of the tree and into the fisher in JUST the right spot to drop him silently without a move from him.

I did consider it. But dismissed it. I would hate to think I did that.

Possible that he over-indulged on some poisoned mice in the shed. (We bait the shed. It's a staging area for their assault on the house. If we don't get them there, they'll be in the walls and attic by Christmas.)

But that's a good # of mice and we tend not to get TOO many around the shed this time of year. November??? Definitely. March?? Probably not.

Still sad to see him go.

Never stopped so no pix.
Just caught this one last night on my blink.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1373725466008285185

From the mean streets of Wooster.
My guess is Mr. Timberdoodle was migrating, probably at night and struck a window. First time I’ve seen a downtown woodcock....Nice size bird.

Attachments

• 977DADF2-1DE9-4749-B4FD-C1292DDB99D5.jpeg
    977DADF2-1DE9-4749-B4FD-C1292DDB99D5.jpeg
    873.9 KB · Views: 18
  • E383A315-39D6-4504-9239-24687A8D1E67.jpeg
    E383A315-39D6-4504-9239-24687A8D1E67.jpeg
    958 KB · Views: 18
  • DA482CD3-9F54-4448-8000-6EF45DA720B1.jpeg
    DA482CD3-9F54-4448-8000-6EF45DA720B1.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 18
That's one big-ass seagull. ;)

There's a guy in Lakeville that knows where the Cape Cod snowy owls are. All winter he's posted a pic a day on FB. He won't reveal where as to protect them. (Remember - mASS is the place where they used to run tour buses from Boston to the hills above the nude beaches on the CCNS 40 years ago.) But it's pretty cool to see. He's got pix of them hunting and just sitting on the beach and napping and such.
Probably SNK or Chapin, they like sitting on the dunes over the flat areas. I saw 6 in one day on the neck during one of the colder winters in the last 10 years.

Probably SNK or Chapin, they like sitting on the dunes over the flat areas. I saw 6 in one day on the neck during one of the colder winters in the last 10 years.

I just need some locations for my wife to check them out. MAybe I'll take her on a field trip next Winter.

Here is one on my lake-house shed/garage 2 winters ago. On a day my wife wasn't there. That broke her heart.

owl.jpg

Didn't get a pic, but leaving my parents house headlights lit up what was either an escaped ferret or a weasel in their driveway. All white body except for a brown patch on the chest. I'm inclined to think escaped ferret, since it didn't care about a car 20' from it. Indoor/Outdoor ferret?? Will they learn to come home? It screwed around in the driveway for a minute, then wandered across the road. Paid no attention to my direction to get over to the barn and take care of some of the mice.

Back
Top Bottom