• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

A few weeks ago we were at Disney waiting for the shuttle bus to take us back to the hotel and this crow starts absolutely destroying a smaller bird right in front of us in the parking lot. Holding it down with its feet and just tearing it apart with its beak. Eventually the bird died or gave up and the crow flew off with it.

Today I'm siting in the house working and in the backyard I see a crow murdering a chipmunk. The chipmunk was too slow and the crow too big, so it kept grabbing it, pecking it and smashing it to death. Eventually the chipmunk died or gave up and the crow flew off carrying it by the tail.

I had never seen a crow hunt and kill like that and now I've seen it twice in a month, in two different states. Is this the start of some new crow uprising or have they always been killers?
I’ve raised raven chick to adulthood when I was a kid myself.
All I can tell you, that they’re incredibly clever and I’d say - intelligent creatures.
I’ve never seen one actively hunt, but wouldn’t be surprised at all If witnessed taking place.
It was levels above the intelligence levels of dalmatian and a cat combined, that I had at that time.

I’ve raised raven chick to adulthood when I was a kid myself.
All I can tell you, that they’re incredibly clever and I’d say - intelligent creatures.
I’ve never seen one actively hunt, but wouldn’t be surprised at all If witnessed taking place.
It was levels above the intelligence levels of dalmatian and a cat combined, that I had at that time.
My mom told me once that when she was a kid that her older brother had a pet crow that could say a few words (besides caw-caw ;)). Is it possible that crows can talk?

She's cute! The Raven is pretty handsome too. I was hoping she'd have him say "Nevermore" but alas, it was not to be.

My brother used to have a pair of mockingbirds that lived in his area and those would mimic all kinds of sounds...one of them actually mimicked the sound of his chainsaw running

I suppose it’s kind of cheating, I was in Montana last week.

Attachments

• A219A98B-8523-4BA7-9093-D1CAC33C1B4E.jpeg
    A219A98B-8523-4BA7-9093-D1CAC33C1B4E.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 53ECE2C0-AB43-4EFC-A94F-76AC905AAA53.jpeg
    53ECE2C0-AB43-4EFC-A94F-76AC905AAA53.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 8DE6EAA7-D9DC-4C5E-A7E8-4EB5968C1C3D.jpeg
    8DE6EAA7-D9DC-4C5E-A7E8-4EB5968C1C3D.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 11
  • C25CAF74-586F-459F-8762-F332E9B3FCE4.jpeg
    C25CAF74-586F-459F-8762-F332E9B3FCE4.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 10
They're as common as seagulls these days
A big reason why there's not as much pickerel around anymore

I saw 3 driving down 138 yesterday AM. One on a nest, one in a tree. One flying.

Not sure that they are doing THAT much damage to fisheries here. The # of BE's in Alaska is astoundingly higher than the # of Osprey in SNE.

Back
Top Bottom