What have you seen lately?

Last week I was in the lobby area of my office talking to daughter and SIL (not married - wrong daughter). I look out. "Ubba, ubba ubba. . . " They turn. One of the resident Peregrine's is doing a saunter across our windows. Wow.

About 30 seconds later, the local redtail lands in hte tree opposite our windows and gets that hunched-over brooding look. Like "this is my territory."

Dude - you eat mice. He eats pigeons. STFU. You can both hunt here.

Funnier is you see NEITHER when an osprey comes up from the bay and takes a turn onto N Main St to get to its nest on the Telephone building. None of them mess with the osprey. (Plus it isn't anywhere near their hunting zone.)

Ok. I've seen enough deer crap in the woods to know what is what. Sometimes its pellets, sometimes in resembles a wad of Tootsie Rolls . First thought was maybe that it swelled up from moisture ? It didnt have mold on it, while some other piles ( that might be older ) did. There are lots of acorns , a couple tree rubs, and some deep tracks close by, so def a buck . However, I dont recall ever seeing pellets this large .

Attachments

• IMG20230129072537.jpg
    IMG20230129072537.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG20230129072521.jpg
    IMG20230129072521.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Saw a Peregrine falcon landed on a local church as we walked by at lunchtime. A couple seconds later, he was getting flybys from a handful of crows? ravens? corvids. Eventually, he had enough and took off.

Wife happened to be up at 2am a few nights ago. Maybe to go tinkle. I forget. Anyhow, the outside back lights snap on. Lone deer is grazing in the edge of the woods. Front leg either hit or shot. He (assume it's a he) won't make the summer for sure. Won't be able to evade the coyotes. . . who happened to be out in force Sunday night. Screaming like crazy.

Wife happened to be up at 2am a few nights ago. Maybe to go tinkle. I forget. Anyhow, the outside back lights snap on. Lone deer is grazing in the edge of the woods. Front leg either hit or shot. He (assume it's a he) won't make the summer for sure. Won't be able to evade the coyotes. . . who happened to be out in force Sunday night. Screaming like crazy.

You might be surprise. They are tough critters and three legged deer usually do just fine.

So, I saw some rather deep deer tracks close to that pile of pellets . So, no moose , but a big heavy buck.

As for three legged creatures . I saw a three legged coyote running around in front of the Phillips building in the Fall River Ind park a few months back.

Just before lunch today we spotted the Red Tail sitting on the light pole. Seconds later, SIL asks, "Is that the mate in the tree?"

Nope. Just the Peregrine. Closest we've seen him/her stationary. Serious lack of detail. Sorry. Know it's a RT lower-right (just at the horizon) and PF high left in the tree.

Red Tail looks like freaking batman. LOL
IMG_1330.JPG

A rafter of turkeys coming down the mountain, heading towards the neighbor's bird feeders. The snow & sleet is not slowing them down one bit.

Back
Top Bottom