What is a chance for MA resident with LTC to get CT out of state LTC?

I think that a lot of people have done so. I have the paperwork, just have got gotten my butt in gear to do it. You just call the CT State Police Licensing unit and they will mail the forms to you.

What is a chance for MA resident with LTC to get CT out of state LTC?
Is it worth starting the game or no chance?

Not sure if serious, the CT license is almost shall issue if you're not otherwise statutorily disqualified....

ETA: FWIW I do think you have to have some kind of CT compliant safety cert, etc, but that's pretty much part of the process, it's not like RI AG permit where they are going to deny you out of hand.

-Mike

If you meet all the qualifications you will very easily get your CT Non-Res Permit. The state website does a good job outlining the steps. As mentioned just call and ask them to send you the application packet. They do require that you take a class that includes live fire (exact NRA course names are on the website). The folks that work in the Special Licensing Unit have always been very helpful when I’ve spoke to them.

Good luck!

This site has useful, up to date info and direct links to to various applicable sites for each state: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/connecticut.pdf. when I first did it in 1998 I had no problems and renewal was also easy.

Here's a tip if you think you might be applying for more than 1 or 2 licenses. If you have the time and a NRA pistol Instructor class is available to you, consider taking it and getting the NRA certification. Over the years, I have/had 5 state licenses, and the Instructor cert was accepted by all states for their requirement of proof of training, plus you get to be able to help out at your club if they hold courses. :)

Oh I didnt know. I thought CT is communist state
It certainly is but as others have said, if you are not a prohibited person and can fill out the form correctly, you’ll get it. It’s easier for a non resident than a resident to get their CT permit.

Very easy, I took a glass at MFS, went through the laws, they’re different to MA. Did live fire certification, we even filled out the forms in class. CT LTC turned up in the mail no problem.

Harry

Very easy, I took a glass at MFS, went through the laws, they’re different to MA. Did live fire certification, we even filled out the forms in class. CT LTC turned up in the mail no problem.

Harry

I'm taking this CT class tomorrow. They do it all with forms, picture, live fire qual and even the envelop to mail it.

Harry

Did the same at MFS in Holliston a while back. Having taking the course and filling out the forms was just straightforward. My only suggestion, and this isn't a slam of MFS in the least, is to get two sets of good fingerprints taken. While at the course, due to some aging issues, I did not get a good "roll" of all my fingers on the form. CT sent it back and I had to have the fingerprints taken again with the prints rolled. If that makes sense.

Within a very reasonable time frame, CT out of state LTC issued.

Jay

It seems others have answered your question for you. But yes. The chance is 99%.
And CT doesn't do restrictions.

What I tell people is to stop worrying. Its an administrative process. Nothing more. Its not like MA.
You put money, credentials, and some paperwork in. And a few months later out comes a CT Pistol Permit.

Lets not forget that prior to PA13-3, CT wasn't really THAT bad. If you had a pistol permit and enough money to buy pre-ban, you could pretty much get anything you wanted. There are few restrictions on what you can carry. (no handgun list) OC is legal.

See my now obsolete pinned post at the top of the CT law section.

Don

Harry

THIS...I took the MFS class ( all forms, photos, prints, etc. included and worth the time and small cost) and then submitted application in Nov. Got mine last week...About 90 days and that included having to resubmit prints (they said they were smudged). As other posts state, is pretty much Shall Issue unless you have some skeleton or something.

Does anyone know how recent the training course has to be? I've taken a bunch of courses over the years but I'm not sure the recent ones count. I know ME requires the course to be within the last 5 years.

I don't know if the CSP is doing this yet, but a friend of mine who is involved in 2A rights down there told me that some towns are now routinely denying LTCs and letting the applicant go through the appeals process. Even though most appeals are granted, as of a year or so ago, the wait time for a hearing was over two years.

Gary - that is not common at all.

Cockpitbob - there is nothing in statute or reg that says the course needs to be within a certain number of years.

Some towns break stones on this issue but I've never heard of the state hassling someone over this. That is the benefit of doing a non-res permit. You don't have to deal with some king complex dick chief and his licensing officer.

Please print out this webpage from the DESPP. Sgt. Kraus used to work in the SLFU. He was a great guy. Unfortunately he is no longer there.

One other thing. The piece of crap no live fire course you might have taken for $65 to get your MA LTC won't cut it in CT. The only broadly available class they take is NRA Basic Pistol.

Don

BFPE: NRA Training Ceritificates

Don

Harry

Re laws in CT that someone from out of state who is carrying would be affected by. Here's a short list.

1) Pre-ban mags don't do you any good. Mags you can possess are limited to 10 rounds unless you declared them in 2013. And even then, you are dupposed to down load them to 10 rounds. Regardless of when they were made. I advise anyone who has a declared their mag to feel free to load to full capacity.

The way the law is written, if you have a lawfully possessed standard capacity mag and load it over 10 rounds, the first offense is a non-criminal infraction. However, if you can't lawfully possess that mag, its a felony.

2) Solid castle doctrine - no duty to retreat in your home.
3) I know of not a single person who was acting lawfully and had to use a firearm for self defense who was even arrested. No joke. Not even one.
4) No transport regs other than that long guns can not be loaded.
5) Any handgun that is not considered an AW is legal.
6) *******VERY VERY IMPORTANT******* - A standard handgun with a threaded bbl is considered an AW in CT.
7) You can carry pretty much anywhere you want. Fed law notwithstanding the only places prohibited by statute are primary and secondary schools (COLLEGES ARE NOT PROHIBITED) and anywhere the legislature is meeting.
8) owners can prohibit entry - but it is their responsibility to let you know. Bottom line, when in doubt, carry. If asked to disarm or leave, comply.
9) signage is not binding. Think of it as a no shirt no shoes no service kind of thing.

I can provide citations for any of these if anyone wants them.

Does anyone know how recent the training course has to be? I've taken a bunch of courses over the years but I'm not sure the recent ones count. I know ME requires the course to be within the last 5 years.

Bob, you took NRA PPIH with me a year ago. Give their Licensing division a call and ask if that is acceptable. The minimum is 88 rds in that class and NRA rates it as 8 hrs (mine runs 10 hrs), so I would expect them to accept it.

Bob, please let us know what they say about PPIH. I'm interested to know.

Also, this is what the DESPP says about the course requirements. They don't mention PPIH. But since PPIH is really "more" than Basic Pistol, it should work since the guidance says "no less than" basic pistol.

You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

Unless it is the specific course NRA Basic Pistol. I am 95% sure it does not.

However, I'd call them and simply tell them what you need. I am sure they know for sure since this is probably a very common question. I'm also sure that they offer something that meets CT requirement.

After speaking with someone from DESPP for the license application packet, they only accept the mass firearms safety class that is labelled LTC-020 or LTC-002. I am fairly certain from snooping around the MFS website that their basic firearms safety class is LTC-020. Figured I would pass that along if anyone else was uncertain.

ETA: and while the CT course at MFS looks useful to understand state law and complete the application packet, it is not a requirement.

Back
Top Bottom