• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is a good radio to start with?

I'm on a tight budget and have not taken the test yet, but I want to start saving. Anyone have a personal favorite they'd like to suggest?

I would recommend a Yeasu FT-847 or FT-857D
Basically the same radio, you get it all in one package.
HF all the way to 440 and multimode on all bands.
If you get the 857D get the auto-tuner with it. Life is great when you push a button to tune the antenna. You can also get one for the 847 but thats an accessory.
Keep it all under $1000 though for your first radio. Once you find out what bands you like working, the sky is the limit on expenses. It is just like guns. Start with a p22 and you quick want a colt 1911.

Well, as a new Ham myself....I knew that I was going to be talking mostly 2m. I found a used Yaseu FT-1802 for 75 dollars....but then you need to get coax, an antenna, and a power supply...you can do like I did...and get an HT. (Handheld Transever) I got one way before I got my ticket. It was a great way to listen to how they talk on the air and the like.

I would recommend a Yeasu FT-847 or FT-857D
Basically the same radio, you get it all in one package.
HF all the way to 440 and multimode on all bands.
If you get the 857D get the auto-tuner with it. Life is great when you push a button to tune the antenna. You can also get one for the 847 but thats an accessory.
Keep it all under $1000 though for your first radio. Once you find out what bands you like working, the sky is the limit on expenses. It is just like guns. Start with a p22 and you quick want a colt 1911.
Holy smokes. That is a lot of radio for a first radio. I am a big believer in do it right the first time, or spend more the first time to get the best you can but these two radios are more than I would recommend for a first radio.

Are you looking for something to use at home, in the car, walking around, a combination of any choices? What kinds of things are you looking to do? Do you live in a major metro area or some place remote?

You cannot go wrong with a solid HT for your first radio, I would recommend the Yeasu FT-60R. Best $180-190 you will spend to start out.

Here's my canned answer that I copy and paste. These go from basic to more complex and all are usable by someone with a technician license:

matt said:
Here's some recommended models of radios:

Basic 2meter rig:
1) Icom IC-2200H - 65Watt, $170 New - upgradable to D-Star* - this is what I have in the truck right now.
2) Kenwood TM-271A - 60W, $140 new
3) Yaesu FT-1900R - 55Watt, $135 new
4) Yaesu FT-2800M - 65Watt, $120 new (have this at the house. No longer available.)
5) Yaesu FT-2900R - 75Watt, $150 new - replaces FT-2800M

2meter/70cm rigs - next step up, adds another popular band with many repeaters
These radios will let you switch back and forth between these two popular amateur radio bands. All have removable front panels that allow you to mount the radio under a seat and just put the 'head' up on the dash. Makes for a nice clean installation if you don't have the interior space like my truck has.

1) Icom IC-208H - 55Watt, $309 new
2) Icom ID-880H-05 - 50Watt, D-Star Capable, $500 new
4) Yaesu FTM-10R and FTM-10SR - 50 and 10 Watt respectively, waterproof, - $300-$310
4) Kenwood TM-V71A - 50Watt, Dual Receive (see below) $360

Next Step Up: 2meter/70cm rigs that do "Cross Band Repeat"
-- If you have an "HT" that transmits on 70cm and one of these in your house/car you can talk to repeaters "through" these radios. Provides range/flexibility. Obviously adds complexity. These radios also have essentially 2 independent receivers in them that allow you to listen to 2 channels simultaneously - a nice feature even if you don't use the cross band repeat function.

1) Yaesu FT-8800R - 2meter and 70cm $360 new
2) Yaesu FT-8900R - 2meter and 70cm + 6 meter and 10meter (two other bands your tech license will let you use) $394 new
3) Yaesu FTM-350R - 2meter and 70cm $600 new
3) Kenwood TM-D710A - 2meter and 70cm - $540 - cream of the crop in this set. Allows remote programing via your HT - if you are interested, call me and we can discuss details.

General Comments:
- I tend to like the controls on the Icoms (personal preference).
- Kenwood provides FREE software for programming memories and things like that. Other vendors charge $50+ for this. not a huge deal, but programming and managing a bunch of frequencies is a pain from the control.
- Expect to spend another ~$50-$150 on an antenna system

Places to buy radios: (you can buy radios without a license)
"HRO" or Ham Radio Outlet (has a store in Salem, NH)
http://www.universal-radio.com/index.html
https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/home.asp

I went through tons of HT's and mobile 2m/440 rigs before I got my 847 when it came out. I would have saved a fortune if I had just bought the radio that did the job.

I left off an Icom 706, you can pick those up for $400/$500 used. Same price as a good HT.

been licensed since 1994
KB2SSA

Holy smokes. That is a lot of radio for a first radio. I am a big believer in do it right the first time, or spend more the first time to get the best you can but these two radios are more than I would recommend for a first radio.

Are you looking for something to use at home, in the car, walking around, a combination of any choices? What kinds of things are you looking to do? Do you live in a major metro area or some place remote?

You cannot go wrong with a solid HT for your first radio, I would recommend the Yeasu FT-60R. Best $180-190 you will spend to start out.

I live in an apartment in the suburbs and want to use the radio at home. I have been doing homebrew electronics for a while and would eventually like to build gear. My purposes for getting involved in ham radio are to learn more about electronics, and to have a method of communication in case of an emergency.

Thanks for the responses!

Sorry, the FT-847 is discontinued. That's why I recommended it. You can pick it up for under $900 now used.

The other model is an FT-897D, Runs $800 new. But used around $600 as there was the first generation that was without the D. Basically does not have a few internal options, but those can all be added cheaply.

Here's my canned answer that I copy and paste. These go from basic to more complex and all are usable by someone with a technician license:

"Basic 2meter rig:
1) Icom IC-2200H - 65Watt, $170 New - upgradable to D-Star* - this is what I have in the truck right now.
4) Yaesu FT-2800M - 65Watt, $120 new (have this at the house. No longer available.)
5) Yaesu FT-2900R - 75Watt, $150 new - replaces FT-2800M"

Thanks very much. This is the price range I'm looking at.

If you are running the radio at home, plan on some extra money for a 20amp, 13.8Volt power supply (look on the used market) and don't forget to budget $50-$150 for antenna/cables/etc.

Look for used gear on qrz.com forums, eham.com and qth.com

Those radios I listed will get you access to the local repeater systems. you won't be talking around the world, but local chit-chat will be all yours!

Last edited:
If you are running the radio at home, plan on some extra money for a 20amp, 13.8Volt power supply (look on the used market) and don't forget to budget $50-$150 for antenna/cables/etc.

Those radios I listed will get you access to the local repeater systems. you won't be talking around the world, but local chit-chat will be all yours!

I picked up a metered 20A Astron Power Supply from HRO used for 48 dollars shipped to my house from CA. I have the FT-1802 which was replaced by the FT-1900 that you have listed. I love this radio...

I suggest anything in your price range. Picking a certain radio manufacturer is like picking Ford, GM or Mopar. Each mfr has their own little way of operation so maybe you can try some of our radios before you buy one. Reputable sellers at fests have them powered up so you can try them.
Plan on $75-100 for a mobile rig, $30-50 for a 10 amp power supply, $20-30 for good coax, and $10-50 for an antenna unless you build one. You can also find Astron's for cheap when they are broke and they typically are simple to fix if you want to try that.
You can also make your own antenna that works very well called a J-Pole. You can go as simple as using 300Ω or 450Ω feedline, or you can make one of copper pipe. Using the feedline is good for indoors or portable applications, and the copper one is good for mounting outside. There are stacked colinear and dual band versions out there too. This is a good info page http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/ll_coolj.html and this is a list of j-pole resources http://www.j-poleantennas.com/
Check Youtube for some tutorials and info. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeKSkARCCnc&feature=PlayList&p=7C9526D7C62BA73D&index=0&playnext=1 The first is the comparison of a j-pole vs a rubber duck, even though that isn't a great comparison since duckies are close to dummy loads, and the 2nd one is on assembly of a copper one.

BTW the most important part of your setup is the antenna system. This is anything connected to the UHF jack on the radio. Will RG-8 work? Yeah, buy if you can swing some LMR-400 or Belden 9913 that might make a difference if you are trying to work stations out at the end of your string.

Jason

For HF, I recommend the ICOM 718. It is pretty inexpensive ( $600 new, can be found on eBay for $500 or less sometimes) , has 100 watts, and is very good for digital modes like PSK31 (it has easy to use controls and external connector for control from computer). It can also easily be modified to transmit on any freq from 10m to 160m, which could be useful in an extreme SHTF kind of situation
when you might need to communicate with a commercial or government HF station.

What kind of antenna will be appropriate for these:

5) Yaesu FT-2900R - 75Watt, $150 new - replaces FT-2800M"

I live in an apartment building, but it is basically like a really big house that is split into apartments.

I hope to head to HRO next week, so I really appreciate any input. Thanks!

OK, I'm specifically looking into the Yaesu FT-1900R. What antenna and power supply would people recommend with this? I am considering using it in my car as well as at home. I would plug it into the lighter in my car, but is there some other option I could use in my car? I plug my GPS in there, and I use it all the time because I have absolutely no sense of direction.

Edited to ask my last barrage of noob questions (for today, anyway):

So on the ARRL website, on the frequency allocations page, under 2m, it says:

All Amateurs except Novices:
144.0-144.1 MHz: CW Only
144.1-148.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

Does this mean that I as a tech can only operate in those modes on those frequencies? What is MCW?

The FT1900-R specs say:
Frequency Range Receive: 136-174 MHz, 144-146 MHz.
Frequency Range Transmit: 144-148 MHz

So would I be able to talk using this radio?

Last edited:
OK, I'm specifically looking into the Yaesu FT-1900R. What antenna and power supply would people recommend with this? I am considering using it in my car as well as at home. I would plug it into the lighter in my car, but is there some other option I could use in my car? I plug my GPS in there, and I use it all the time because I have absolutely no sense of direction.

Edited to ask my last barrage of noob questions (for today, anyway):

So on the ARRL website, on the frequency allocations page, under 2m, it says:

All Amateurs except Novices:
144.0-144.1 MHz: CW Only
144.1-148.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

Does this mean that I as a tech can only operate in those modes on those frequencies? What is MCW?

The FT1900-R specs say:
Frequency Range Receive: 136-174 MHz, 144-146 MHz.
Frequency Range Transmit: 144-148 MHz

So would I be able to talk using this radio?

Yes, you can talk with that radio. MCW stands for "Modified CW" or "Modified Continuous Wave".

Yes, you can talk with that radio. MCW stands for "Modified CW" or "Modified Continuous Wave".

Thanks very much. Now I just need to figure out which antennas and power supplies would work. Still awaiting my call sign! Think I will go check again for the 876578658th time.

Oh, and as for the antenna, I should mention that I live on a 2nd floor apartment :(. No roof access. Can I mount it on the window sill some how? If not, I may just operate mobile in my car.

Thanks again!

Got it! Woo hoo!

Yea, whoo hoo!! What did you get?

Oh, and as for the antenna, I should mention that I live on a 2nd floor apartment :(. No roof access. Can I mount it on the window sill some how? If not, I may just operate mobile in my car.

Thanks again!

Someone here might be able to better tell you....but I read somewhere where someone used that home security foil and lined his window and used it as a loop antenna.

Back
Top Bottom