• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is "long range" for self defense?

Agree. You'd have to be returning fire.

I didn't know that. You'd have to be pretty sure you understood who was the aggressor, though.

the classic scenario for this is a woman on her back screaming rape while a man is on top of her. There is no question who is the aggressor in this case.

Two guy duking it out, call 911 unless one is on the ground and the other is taking serious advantage of that.

the classic scenario for this is a woman on her back screaming rape while a man is on top of her. There is no question who is the aggressor in this case.

Sure, it's guaranteed to be the guy as the aggressor...

Caught in the act with her lover, Tracy Denise Roberson -- thinking quickly, if not clearly -- cried rape, authorities say. Her husband pulled a gun and killed the other man with a shot to the head.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4675987.html

FORT WORTH – A woman whose false claim of rape led to her lover's death was sentenced to five years in prison Monday evening.

Tracy Roberson dropped her head as State District Judge Louis Sturns read the verdict. Afterward, her family members screamed in anguish outside of the courtroom.

Mrs. Roberson, 37, was convicted Friday of manslaughter in the 2006 shooting death of Devin LaSalle. Prosecutors said it was Mrs. Roberson's husband, Darrell, who fired the fatal shot but only because his wife falsely claimed she was being raped.
http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8110

you can use lethal force if you witness a kidnapping in NH. it's pretty awesome. everytime you see some white trash crack tat soccer mom who's 80lbs overweight with a thong sticking out over the top of her sweat pants forcing a screaming kid into a minivan, you reach into the back seat for your AR with a collapsible stock, flash hider, and bayonet lug, slap a 30 rd mag of unknown orgin in, chamber a round... blam! headshot!

when the cops show up you say you thought it was a kidnapping. they ask for your little flimsy $10 shall issue piece of crinkle paper that doesn't have your fingerprints, photo ID, or anything other than your name and address on it, and they reach for their hole puncher.

when you get to five holes, you get a free Green Mountain coffee at Mr. Mike's.

the hazzlenut is to die for.

Hahahahaha, nice

I'd like all those who claim a handgun or a shotgun is better for in home defense to tell me why.

No matter how hard I think about it, I can't come up with any reason why?

Ammo capacity? rifle
Capability of precision fire? rifle
Lethality? tie between shotgun and rifle
Speed of follow up shots? rifle
Barrier overpenetration risk? rifle (see the box o'truth if you believe o/w)

I'd like all those who claim a handgun or a shotgun is better for in home defense to tell me why.

Ammo capacity? rifle

Handgun are easier to use one handed and in tight areas. Like everything, its a compromise

handgun or long gun depends on your scenario.
If you will "defend in place" i.e. you hear bad guy, you grab your gun, get behind cover and dial 911. - There's nothing better than a long gun.

If you need to venture out into a handgun is easier to manage.
Will you need to carry a kid, that means you are down to 1 hand for the firearm
going around corners without presenting a gun grab opportunity is much harder.

Hope this helps.

Ammo capacity? rifle

The sole advantage of a shotgun is the reduced lethality after say, penetrating an exterior wall, crossing a yard, and penetrating a neighbors exterior wall.

If you don't miss, that takes care of that...

Handgun are easier to use one handed and in tight areas. Like everything, its a compromise

Handguns are also easier to use one-handed. Your other hand can be used to hold the phone so you can talk the police dispatcher, or hold a flashlight if you don't like weapon mounted lights. Handguns are also easier to secure.

As Supermoto said, everything is a compromise.

That's about the only advantage to a handgun.

Unlike carrying on the street, one is not constrained by concerns about concealability and one KNOWS that a fight is highly likely.

That for me means: get a rifle.

Your other hand can be used to hold the phone so you can talk the police dispatcher
I'm not diverting my attention during an incredibly critical and stressful situation by talking to some douchebag who will tell me not to fight and to put my gun down. My wife can talk to them, or the phone gets left on somewhere after the initial call.

I'm not sitting in my room while someone rifles through my house.

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit reading on page 2, so if someone else mentions this, my apologies:

Before depending on a longarm inside a residence, take it (completely safe weapon) and try and put yourself in a situation where you may have to move through your house with the carbine. See how many times the barrel breaks the plane of a doorway. Just something to keep in mind I learned the hard way searching houses without any real tactical training. I normally leave the rifle/SG in the truck when I go inside if I have someone to watch the truck. I hate leaving the firepower, but it takes training (formal or just working on it) to move through a house with anything longer than a pistol safely.

Maybe I should listen to myself and practice a little with the M4orgery.

Before depending on a longarm inside a residence, take it (completely safe weapon) and try and put yourself in a situation where you may have to move through your house with the carbine. See how many times the barrel breaks the plane of a doorway.

There is no need for special training. Just take dry run after dry run through your house paying attention to the details. With just a little common sense, you can maneuver an AR carbine through a house without your barrel leading you.

Ammo capacity? rifle

I think a blast from a shotgun will put the perp in more pain before he dies.
I hope.

Ammo capacity? rifle

I think I'd probably give ease of use edge to the shotgun and probably reliability as well.

I think I'd probably give ease of use edge to the shotgun and probably reliability as well.

How so? How is a shotgun easier to use than a rifle? They both have safeties and they both have a little lever that you need to press to send the bolt home after reloading. Even pumps have a little button that has to be pushed and held down to open the action if the hammer is cocked. Not to mention pumps can be short stroked.

Please don't tell me a shotgun doesn't need to be aimed........

My AR has never, ever malfunctioned except when used with shit mags.

How so? How is a shotgun easier to use than a rifle? They both have safeties and they both have a little lever that you need to press to send the bolt home after reloading. Even pumps have a little button that has to be pushed and held down to open the action if the hammer is cocked. Not to mention pumps can be short stroked.

Please don't tell me a shotgun doesn't need to be aimed........

My AR has never, ever malfunctioned except when used with shit mags.

My ARs are super reliable was well. I just still feel a pump action shotgun is a little simpler to use, espically for someone that's not "an expert." But, I think you make a good case for the rifle for HD. I think some of the SBR ARs out there are pretty close to perfect for use in the home. But, I also would not feel outgunned at all with my winchester 1300.

I know for some people, there are concerns that using an "assault" weapon to kill someone in their house appears "worse" that using a shotgun. I'm not sure if I buy that, but, under pressure if you tear through a 30 round mag it might be tough from a PR point of view....

under pressure if you tear through a 30 round mag it might be tough from a PR point of view....

Dude, seriously?

I can see ripping five or six before your brain processes the fact that the assault's been stopped.

But thirty? It takes a freaking long time, relatively speaking to dump a whole mag into someone unless you got FA or are bumping the gun.

Dude, seriously?

I can see ripping five or six before your brain processes the fact that the assault's been stopped.

But thirty? It takes a freaking long time, relatively speaking to dump a whole mag into someone unless you got FA or are bumping the gun.

Maybe not 30, but I could see 10 or 15 easy....

Back
Top Bottom