What is the best EOTECH (or other brand Red Dot) to buy?

Hi,

I am thinking about maybe buying an EOTECH (or a Red Dot).
There are so many to choose from.

What are the best choices - and why?

Look up the difference between a holographic sight and a red dot then go from there for if you have a preference.

Nice, i need red dots sights too(for my sks, 20 gauge shotguns and my ruger mark3 ) .which red dot scope can handle shotgun recoil ,anyones know?i will have to machine my own scope mounts to save some money lol

Such an broad question. There are so options out there. Do you want to spend $100 or $1,000?

Do you ever plan to add a magnifier? If so, check out LVPO’s as an alternative.

I have an Eotech 512 on my Tavor. Building a new AR and thinking about moving that over, or picking up a Holosun HE503CU-GR Elite
I like the option of multiple reticles- dot only or ring around the dot, and its green!
So maybe Merry Christmas to me, the Holosun just might find it's way under the tree!

I am leaning towards the EOTech 518.

In pictures its QD mount appears like it uses no more rail space than the smaller EXPS models.
Uses AA batteries.

I like the first Holosun I bought. I'll be looking at more for builds that are going to be completed in the coming couple of months.

Hi,

I am thinking about maybe buying an EOTECH (or a Red Dot).
There are so many to choose from.

What are the best choices - and why?

On what platform will this be used (handgun, rifle, shotgun)? Tons of questions to be asked: Budget? MOA size preference? RDS vs Holographic? etc. There are numerous great options out there, along with some duds, so narrow down what exactly you want and go from there.

A wise man (Super Dave Harrington) once said "the solution to your Eotech problems comes in an Aimpoint box". Listen to the wise man. Depending on application, one of the Comp models (the PRO is a Comp M2 clone) is always a good choice. I love my PRO and my M4s. If I ever need another red dot, I'll go Comp M5 tho.

JPK,

In 2016 I purchased a stripped AR lower - I called in Hillary Insurance.
Had the state police approval and waiting period, etc..
Have since finished it as an AR Pistol Lower.
Recently purchased a 10.5" barrel upper with fixed front sight base and removable carry handle (because I want my fixed sights very very strong).
(In Maryland 10.5" is the shortest AR barrel that can be SBR'ed - in case I want to do that in the future)

So, it will be a short distance firearm - pistol use probably under 25 yards.
If someday I SBR it, then use under 100 yards.

If I get an EOTECH or red dot, I'd remove the carry handle and buy a Magpul folding backup rear sight.
I don't have to get an expensive electronic sight... just thinking about it.

I have been in the mood to buy all gun accessories on my wish list - just in case the next President bans many things via executive order.
He might even put a huge tax on ammunition.

Replacing recoil springs and buffers (probably not necessary).
I need to buy spare extractor springs.
Somethings I can't buy - like bullets and powder for reloading - everyone is sold out of the exact reloading supplies I want.

I used to be friendly with a class 3 dealer who can walk me through all the steps and do the NFA paperwork for me, and make sure everything was done right.
But, I think his mind has snapped during this pandemic - he does not act normal - extremely uncommunicative like every word cost him a hundred dollars.
I suspect depression.
Maybe he will get better.
SBR might be in my future, or it might not.

I like the idea of using ordinary batteries one can buy in a hardware store - Lowes sells AA and CR123.
I want fast target acquisition - faster than using fixed sights.
All the choices are expensive - but better to be expensive and proven durable and reliable.
There are so many complaints of EOTECH forgeries, I'd have to buy it directly from EOTECH at suggested retail price.

And I may not buy an EOTECH/RDS - It is not a must have item.
But I have thought about it on and off for several years.

H

I have and been through a lot of red dots. My personal favorite is eotech. I feel like a typical led red dot is like looking through a toilet paper tube, even with both eyes open. The mro dot looks smeared and has a slight magnification. I had two holosun’s (purchased at different times) and had failed (dot dancing around after every shot).

I love eotech’s donut reticle and wide window. Crisp of the dot and have the choice with AA or CR123 battery models. The only drawback is the battery life, but it tells you when it’s starting to get low. The reticle doesn’t smear with nods, unlike typical led red dots.

Now I am leaning more towards the EOTECH EXPS2, because there were complaints about problems with the AA battery system.

Two Dots? though I'd probably never be using the second dot.

Like many have already stated. Figure out your needs and budget and then check out some reviews.

I have run many dots over the years. From Primary Arms $89 micro dots to Aimpoints and Eotechs.

I do love a good micro dot (Aimpoint T2/H2, Vortex Crossfire, Romeo 5, Holosun 403/503) on a 1.93 mount. I still run a micro on a scarlarworks 1.93 mount but now mainly run EOtechs. My astigmatism makes a dot slightly flare, EOtechs for me are crystal clear and I really have come to like the EOtech reticle. It allows me to use the 65 moa circle and hashmarks with ease in regards to hold over.

Best of luck in your choice. Merry Christmas.

I am am eotech fan for several reasons including how nicely the reticle magnifies under a 3x. Smokes any red dot. However the eotech is limited to an AR type platform due to its higher positioning from rail. so for all other applications I use a holosun or equivalent w side battery tray. I’ve got 2 aimpoint PROs which are incredible for the price and are excellent for HD due to almost endless battery life but my personal preference is for an eotech XPS2 or 3 if you’re planning on running night vision.

An Aimpoint T2 is my preference. Mostly due to battery life. You can leave it on forever(5 years ish) so when you pick it up, it's on. Can't do that with an Eotech. I have a T2 with 3xc-magnifier on Scalarworks 1.57 mounts. Not a cheap setup, but hard to beat red dot wise.

Here is what I purchased: EOTech EXPS2 (2 dot reticle) purchased directly from EOTech, and Bushnell TRS-26 not purchased directly from Bushnell.

My opinion:

I consider the EOTech better due to:
1. great QD mount - even has clicks for adjusting its adjustment screw
2. better/quicker reticle - Dunkin Donut of Death. The 65 MOA circle feels faster.
3. Somehow easier to see around the EXPS2 for nearby surroundings. Probably due to larger glass area.
4. Lower 1/3 co-witness.
5. Mil-Spec, but Overpriced

The Bushnell TRS-26:
1. 50,000 hour battery life
2. Somehow harder to see around the TRS-26 using peripheral vision.
It feels like the sight's body is thicker somehow.
Hard to describe this. Maybe I will get used to it?
3. Absolute co-witness. Red dot is just above front sight (irons and RD have not been sighted in yet).
From what I've read online people can not find the right riser for 1/3 co-witness.
I don't have a preference yet between absolute and 1/3 co-witness.
4. Reasonably priced.

Both do the job of allowing aiming during low light conditions where one can not reliably see the iron sights.
For me, this was the motivation to get EO or RD.

If one doesn't mind spending much more money, I think the EOTech is better (just keep extra batteries on-hand)

P.S. I mounted both as far forward as I could on the upper receiver.
TRS-26 was almost flush with the forward end of the upper receiver.
In the case of the EOTECH, the battery compartment hung over the aluminum ring holding the handguard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom