What is the best shot you have made?

What is the best shot everyone has made? not the luckiest, but the best. The one were you knew you had hit the target before the bullet had. When you knew before you tried that you were going to hit it.

Mine was actually caught on tape awhile back. the last shot before I moved, I snake the shot between the white No shoot target and the barrel to hit the steel. It was not the fastest way to shoot the stage, even though it allowed you to bypass the tunnel. The shot was a challenge between myself and another shooter and we both made it

Last edited by a moderator:
that's pretty cool how you have video proof of it. Not very often does one get that. Very nice.

My luckiest (or poorest, depends if you love fuzzy furry animals) was when I was about ten. While tooling around with my dad's old childhood bow and arrow set (target arrow) on my grandpa's farm, I was standing perhaps 75 yards away from a rabbit in a field and said out of my ass "bet ya I can hit that rabbit." My brothers said it's on, so I pointed the arrow skyward at about 25 degrees vertical to the horizon in the direction of the rabbit, pulled back, and let it rip. In an arching, lucky as hell fashion, the target arrow slammed right into the middle of it's side, impaling it to the ground, dead.

I haven't really shot a bow since.

That's some fine shooting!

I think RI_John should chime in here about his Puffin story...

My best shots are when I call an X and get an X shooting NRA prone with irons at 600 yards.

I've been out to 800, 900, and 1000 with irons but not regularly enough to say that I can call an X and get an X.

It's shots you didn't make that are worth thinking about.

Did I make that shot?

I have video of me looking at the next target while still shooting the last one.
I have spent many hours thinking WTF, the target is 2 feet away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH3w2fZ8esM&sns=em

You made the shot also, had to take an extra shot though

It's hard to say exactly what shot it was, but I shot an IDPA match with a 3.5" 1911 with my carry rig (IWB holster, reloads from pockets) and +P defensive ammo, and took CDP Champion for the match. Now, there were only 2 to 4 other people shooting CDP, and I think I was classified higher than them to begin with, so it wasn't really an accomplishment... but it remains one of my prouder moments.

I called one shot at mini walls of steel where I knocked down a split popper by hitting it right in the seam between the two plates. It's not that amazing, but when I had reached that target I -knew- that was going to happen, and somehow made it happen. [laugh]

-Mike

Skating over the blue line full speed in a national qualifier and letting a slap shot fly that hit the back of the net so hard it made the goalie's water bottle flip up at least 3 feet.

that's pretty cool how you have video proof of it. Not very often does one get that. Very nice.

My luckiest (or poorest, depends if you love fuzzy furry animals) was when I was about ten. While tooling around with my dad's old childhood bow and arrow set (target arrow) on my grandpa's farm, I was standing perhaps 75 yards away from a rabbit in a field and said out of my ass "bet ya I can hit that rabbit." My brothers said it's on, so I pointed the arrow skyward at about 25 degrees vertical to the horizon in the direction of the rabbit, pulled back, and let it rip. In an arching, lucky as hell fashion, the target arrow slammed right into the middle of it's side, impaling it to the ground, dead.

I haven't really shot a bow since.

That's some fine shooting!

I think RI_John should chime in here about his Puffin story...

I was just about to say, flintoid's story sounds an awful lot like the Puffin story! I didn't remember who's story it was, so I wasn't sure if maybe the names had been changed to protect the innocent [laugh]

I called one shot at mini walls of steel where I knocked down a split popper by hitting it right in the seam between the two plates. It's not that amazing, but when I had reached that target I -knew- that was going to happen, and somehow made it happen. [laugh]

-Mike

At the last IDPA match at HSC, a couple of people put rounds through the gap... but nobody could get it to fall that way! That's pretty cool.

1984 at the rifle range MCRD Parris Island.

To qualify expert you have to have 225 points or above.

On the last set of firing 10 rds slow fire at 500 yds.

On the last round that would decide wether I shot Sharpshooter or Expert.

The recruit in the butts put up Maggies Drawers which is a red flag saying you had a complete miss.

The Range Officer who was next to me said he knew I was in the black and he was gonna go down to the butts and check it out.

I was so depressed my head was up my ass for the rest of the day and at the call of taps in the squad bay right before we were gonna hit the rack the Senior Drill Instructor called me front and center on the quarter deck.

I thought I was in the shit and was gonna have to do mountain climbers,leg lifts and push ups until I puked.

So I ran up and reported at attention and the Senior D.I. handed me a Rifle Expert Badge and went on to tell me that the Range Officer went in to the butts and found that my last round went through the same hole as the previous round and that is why the recruit didnt see it.

I qualified Rifle Expert and kissed that rifle badge every night before kissing the picture of my wife.

That will always be my best shot...............................Over

Nice shootin' SLIM SHOT.

I once hit a muskrat in the head from about 60 yards with a .22 semiauto pistol, basic iron sights. Nothing to be real proud of, the rodent did nothing to me, but it was on a bet that I couldn't hit it so I got $20 and a case of beer out of it! [rolleyes]

200yds iron sights with a 30-30 dropped the deer using a borrowed rifle and borrowed bullets, only fired the rifle once before with 150gr and the borrowed bullets were 170gr

best_shot.jpg

[laugh]

At the last IDPA match at HSC, a couple of people put rounds through the gap... but nobody could get it to fall that way! That's pretty cool.

I think it depends on the popper. If the gap is wide enough the odds are minimal, but if it is narrow, you have a halfway decent chance. Other people did it too, but you could see peoples gears turning
when we got to that stage.... eg, "hmm, should I shoot both parts quickly or just try to aim for the middle". [laugh]

-Mike

The best shot I ever made was when I was about 12 and it was with a slingshot.
A couple douches from another neighborhood thought they were going to evict my brother and his friend from a treehouse we had built.
They came running over to get the big brother.(I have never been big, quite short actually, but had a bit of a temper when it came to bullying)
I grabbed the sling shot (one of those with the wrist brace and surgical tubing) and went back with them.
I huffed and puffed and they got on their bikes and went down the road. When they got maybe 50 yards away, they started yelling and flipping the bird.
I turned to my brother and told him to get a rock. I pulled that sucker back, lobbed the rock, and made a wish.
When they saw me pulling back, they started to ride again.
The rock beaned the leading bigmouth on the back of the dome and he fell off his bike screaming like a sissy.
All I had to do was start running down the street toward them to send them on their way.
Never saw them around again, except in school, with no problems.
More of a lucky shot that stuck in my head.

Yeah, not too exciting.

Police sniper training class. Egg dangling from at string at 285 yds. from a shouldered bipod. Not the toughest shot in the world, but no one else in the class made it.

well, since I've only ever shot one thing in my life besides paper targets, I'd have to say it was the double lung shot that dropped a six-point buck in his tracks. It was at about 7:05 this morning. See the hunting board for pics.

Nice work on that plate!

The best shot I ever made was when I was about 12 and it was with a slingshot.
A couple douches from another neighborhood thought they were going to evict my brother and his friend from a treehouse we had built.
They came running over to get the big brother.(I have never been big, quite short actually, but had a bit of a temper when it came to bullying)
I grabbed the sling shot (one of those with the wrist brace and surgical tubing) and went back with them.
I huffed and puffed and they got on their bikes and went down the road. When they got maybe 50 yards away, they started yelling and flipping the bird.
I turned to my brother and told him to get a rock. I pulled that sucker back, lobbed the rock, and made a wish.
When they saw me pulling back, they started to ride again.
The rock beaned the leading bigmouth on the back of the dome and he fell off his bike screaming like a sissy.
All I had to do was start running down the street toward them to send them on their way.
Never saw them around again, except in school, with no problems.
More of a lucky shot that stuck in my head.

Yeah, not too exciting.

I love this story. nice shot.

My best was after shooting bowling pins at 140 yards W/ rifles there was one left standing.
I pulled out my Beretta Mod 21A .22LR pistol W/ 1"7/8 barrel.
My brothers like "Ya Right".
One shot. Bang. 1,2,3, Faint click & down it went.
I suppose luck played it's part as well.

Back
Top Bottom