What is the min firearm length for assault rifles?

If it's a defense rifle that you are talking about (assault weapons are full-auto, battle rifles) I believe you can also have 14.5" with a permanently attached compensator as long as the final length is at least 16" (That is true for most of the country--not sure about MA)

I thought it could have 2 of the 5 evil features?

In MA is is illegal to possess a semi-automatic rifle with more than 2 "Evil" features:

Removable Magazine
Pistol Grip
Folding or Collaspible Stock
Bayonet Lug
Flash Hider

Since most defensive rifles have removable magazines and pistol grips, that eats up your "two features"

As for the OP question:
MA has no specific limit, but the federal requirement without a NFA tag is: 16" including permamently attached barrel attachments (typically a compensator) for rifles and 18" for shotguns.
A pistol can have a shorter barrel, but it can never have a stock mounted.

Last edited:
Guys, he said for the -rifle- not the barrel.

IIRC the OAL (from end of stock to end of bbl.l has to be like 26" with the stock fully extended. Obviously in the case of postban rifles, the fixed position is full extension.

Someone can correct me if I have the length wrong, but I want to say it was 26".

FWIW this is a fed law thing and not a state thing. I don't think the OAL of the entire rifle is relevant in MGL at all.

-Mike

FWIW this is a fed law thing and not a state thing. I don't think the OAL of the entire rifle is relevant in MGL at all.
"Any rifle or Carbine having a barrel less than 16 inches long and an overall length less than 26 inches with the permanently attached stock, extended. $200.00 Transfer Tax."

This is the FED standard for SBR which requires the silly NFA tax[sad2]

MA only seems to reference this WRT to shotguns:
"Shotgun
A "shotgun" is a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger. "

Shorter than that is "sawed off" it seems...

I thought it could have 2 of the 5 evil features?

It can. But the unlisted 2 are pistol grip and removable mag

In MA is is illegal to possess a semi-automatic rifle with more than 2 "Evil" features

Not exactly, guys. For rifles, there are two 'prerequisite' features and five 'evil' features in the definition of an assault weapon. The two prerequisite features are:

Semi-Automatic
Detachable Magazine

If you don't have both of those prerequisite features, you can have as many evil features as you like. But if you do have both of those prerequisite features, you can only have one of the following five evil features:

Pistol grip
Telescoping or folding stock
Bayonet mount
Flash hider or threaded barrel to accept a flash hider
Grenade launcher.

Guys are you SURE SURE SURE?

My M4A3 is 37 inches long from tip to tip (18 inch barrell)? Does that mean I could pin my stock at the shortest lenght and still be legal?

It seems too good to be true, I'd like to see the law itself and I cant seem to find it, I've been looking for 1+ hour, ARGH.

Not only is that legal, it's somewhat common. As long as it's permanently pinned.

Why would you think pinning it at the shortest length is illegal?

Thats the thing, I dont even want to pin it at the shortest lenght, I just want to pin it like 3-4 inches shorter.

Can you recommend a good place to do this work? I rather pay and trust a professional then do it myself to save a few bucks, possible mar the finish of the gun and worst of all break the law. Even if it's pretty simple I would rather have a shop do it.

What is the min lenght an assault rifle can be in MA?

Please don't call it an "assault rifle". That is media language not gun enthusiast language. Gives these rifles a bad name.

It seems every gun article you read nowadays contains "high powered assault rifle" or "automatic assault rifle"

The AR15 is not an assault rifle.

Before you pin it at the shortest length, make sure you are comfortable with it that way. It's not comfortable for me and most people I know.

so if your building an ar15 off a preban lower, it needs to be a min of 16" barrel in ma?

16" total. 10.5" barrel + 5.5" flash suppressor is good. 14.5" barrel and 1.5" suppressor and you are good....

ETA: it's not a Mass thing it's a federal thing.

Last edited:
for the flash hider it does, right?

So you can get a small barrel, but make it hit 16" with the flash hider?

On a postban you cannot have an FH, so that part of the question is moot.

You can take a muzzle device/brake to reach 16", but it must be permanently attached. As long as its permanently attached it gets considered part of the BBL for length purposes.

Regardless of pre/post status, a barrel that is less than 16" that uses a device to reach 16" must be permanently attached. If you had a 2 inch long brake or muzzle extension that was easily removed, it'd be considered an illegal SBR by federal standards.

-Mike

On a semi auto rifle it;s 26" overall regardless of what kind of rifle you call it. On a "real" assault rifle, capable of full auto fire, there is no overall length, but it must be registered with the ATF.

Not trying to split hairs, and I do know what you mean, but a true "assault" weapon requires a fun switch. So you need to get a MG license to start with. It's just a personal hang up, like some people have a hang up about clips vs mags, how it's now become commonplace even on gun sites to call a semi-auto firearm and oddly enough to accept it as an assault weapon. So, going by your question, the total barrel length should be at a minimum 16" which includes a permanently installed muzzle device to be considered a "rifle". Why anyone would want a 5" muzzle ending is beyond me, you lose FPS and gain nothing in shortness. You've already received the total rifle length. I've been eyeballing the fourth one down http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=6. Which would mean getting a tax stamp ($200 added to cost) to register my spare lower as an "SBR". Also, down near the bottom here http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=13, is a shorty skeleton stock to go with it. Nice tiny package all tolled up. To go further, how short is short? On an AR or AK platform, you can get a pistol version. Why you would want it is again, not my bag. As usual, I'm amazed at how a question about length changes into compliancy. Next thing to roll out is twist rates.

Last edited:
Call me at Remsport Mfg. We can discuss this issue and I will explain the finer points to the Mass. AWB and the Fed. SBR and AOW regs.
I can also pin your stock. I only charge $15.00 and $3.00 of hardware I will do it while you wait or you can drop off and go shooting at the S&W Shooting Sport Center and pickl it up after you get done shootind or you can ship me your lower to have this work done.
Let me know.
Thank you
John
413 579 1994

I just don't understand people who want short barrels and long FS or comps. It's not an SBR so your inhibiting the rounds ability to gain muzzle velocity without having the benefit of a shorter firearm.

I found this data at http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=134&t=149575
XM193 VELOCITY DATA

7.5" 2364 FPS ...

10.5" 2755 FPS

14.5" 2984 FPS

16" 3075 FPS

18" 3245 FPS

20" 3254 FPS

f.y.i. there is no such thing as an assult rifle, a rifle is just a rifle, the only thin that i can consider a assault is what the government is doing to our second amendment rights

Back
Top Bottom