What is the "minimum gun" you feel adequate carrying?

I wonder, has anyone ever gone out and purchase a different gun / caliber after asking NES what they feel is a good caliber for self defense?
Are you suggesting we're NOT supposed to do that?! Well, crap....
Shot placement matters. Caliber doesn't. Carry whatever you shoot well.
This is my philosophy.

I wonder, has anyone ever gone out and purchase a different gun / caliber after asking NES what they feel is a good caliber for self defense?
I make my buying decisions based solely on the video games I'm playing.

But also no. I pick the caliber/gun I can shoot comfortably and reliably.

I just wonder if when these people ask, let's say everyone says "shoot .40", do they go out and buy a .40?

I usually don't carry a .38 but was lazy to go out and strap on my usual setup vs tossing a 642 in a pocket in a hurry before heading out. Hilariously my gf asked me if that little thing can actually "kill". Must have learned from Fallout 4 that .38 ammo is like throwing peas.

I just wonder if when these people ask, let's say everyone says "shoot .40", do they go out and buy a .40?
When I started out, oh so long ago now, I went by how much the ammo cost. A .22 rifle was the first thing I ever bought, back when a brick was like 15 bucks, but when it came to handguns .40 was more expensive than 9mm. And I think Mike at Titegroup convinced me that a 9mm was a good way to go (I ended up with an M&P). Eventually, I was able to grow some hair on my face and bought a 1911. That's when I became a full adult.

Ah, I'm not fooling anyone, I'm not really an adult yet.

Even with perfect aim 3 guys + 2 dogs requires 13 rounds (3 guys x 3 rds for mozambique drill, 2 dogs x 2 rds for mozambark).
Yeah, but I don't think there's a realistic scenario involving 3 armed attackers and 2 dogs where you are out in the open and get 5 shots off with a P365, let alone 11. Play it out:

* Resource predators without guns
* Resource predators with guns
* Process predators without guns
* Process predators with guns

Plenty of contexts where you need more than 5 rounds and less than a submachine gun. I'm not trying to say snubbies are enough in general. I'm not saying that sh*t. I'm just saying that I don't think encountering 3 guys and 2 dogs out in the open is a scenario that speaks to it. If three guys are shooting at you, and you've got no cover or concealment, you're going to need that submachine gun.

Even with perfect aim 3 guys + 2 dogs requires 13 rounds (3 guys x 3 rds for mozambique drill, 2 dogs x 2 rds for mozambark).
Kill the dogs. Immediately. At least get one of the two, preferably both. And noooo not because I was 5/0, lol, simply because the dogs won’t cut and run in fear if you pop off a round in their general direction like the a**h***s with them would, the dogs will keep attacking and you can’t outrun them either if you try to split.

Kill the dogs, move to cover, handle the 3 morons appropriately from there.

Still carrying a 9mm shield with an upgraded apex trigger and 10 round mag. I ain’t looking to be no hero and this is plenty to defend myself or break contact if I’m ever at the South Shore Mall. Why still a Shield?…Cuz God forbid I ever have to use it I won’t be getting it back anyway..they can keep it.

Should this be on off topic or gun related 🤔🤔
There was a time not too long ago when the Shield was all the rage here. Reliable. Concealable. Affordable... gun owners are almost as bad as golfers when it comes to having the newest gear. 😆

There was a time not too long ago when the Shield was all the rage here. Reliable. Concealable. Affordable... gun owners are almost as bad as golfers when it comes to having the newest gear. 😆
I've only thought about upgrading from the LC9s about 500 times. For that matter, I liked the Shield better.

I carried a P238 for years with no issues and it concealed great. Happily made the switch to P365x for more control and capacity for just a little less comfort and concealability.
Built a P365X off a FCU. With the right short-barrel JHP ammo, it works for me.

I can totally see that parallel. Guys always looking for reasons to "upgrade" (even if what they have is perfectly fine) and an industry happy to oblige. And then there's the guys with Gucci guns who can't shoot for sh*t vs the guy with a bone stock mid range gun nailing bullseyes. Same happens in golf from what my buddies have told me. The gear is only as good as the user in both.

I was told by several people that carrying a five shot .38 snubby in today's dangerous world is no longer enough protection because a lot of bad guys work in groups now. Some of these guys don't leave home without a kitted out RMR on the slide Glock 19 and 3 spare mags, total of 60+1 rounds on them.

Where does NES land in this area? What *amount of gun* would you feel is good enough for EDC where you live and travel when out and about?

I carry a P365 Macro with an extra 17 rd mag. In warmer weather, I carry a G43X with S15 gen 2 mags. If I have to shoot someone, I’m shooting them a lot.

I carry a P365 Macro with an extra 17 rd mag. In warmer weather, I carry a G43X with S15 gen 2 mags. If I have to shoot someone, I’m shooting them a lot.
Of course. Always shoot to stop a threat cause you're in fear of your life, not to draw a smiley face of holes in his chest lol.

Back
Top Bottom