What is the "minimum gun" you feel adequate carrying?

So a single dude in a well light parking lot threw attitude at you and you locked yourself in your car clutching your full sized pistol and you now think you need more gun? Am I tracking?

You don't need more gun, you need to go get in a fist fight and lose.

Hahahaha! My wife is such a deadeye with her .22 Bearcat that when I asked her what the hell was going on with all those fliers, she told me she was working on a smiley face on her target. She's fun like that.

Who the hell can reach their ankle? Oh, wait, are you one of those young, buff smartalecks? Not sure why a second firearm is called a backup. If I don't have one on each side, I feel out of balance. Like I might start listing to one side and end up walking in circles. When I tell people I wear a brace, I ain't shitting.
I use my ankle holster anytime I have to wear a suit and can not use an IWB. Not too buff anymore these days either.

If you’re at a point where you have to pull your CC in Worcester (or anywhere in MA for that matter), you’ve already lost. f*** that state. You’ll likely be rotting away in jail for shooting the hood rat that attacked you, and you‘re now broke, jobless, and homeless (unless you consider MCI Cedar Junction a home). Meanwhile, BLM is raising money off his death to buy their fifth mansion in a predominantly white neighborhood in Orange County, CA.
lol what? Yeah, no one has ever, ever successfully used a gun in self defense in MA.

I rotate between a Glock 17 with a spare preban. A Glock 30 with a spare preban. Or a Glock 43 with a spare.

I’m actually the most accurate/comfortable with my G30, but it’s a bit bulky even compared to the 17. The 43 is great for light concealment or more formal wear as it’s so slim.

So a single dude in a well light parking lot threw attitude at you and you locked yourself in your car clutching your full sized pistol and you now think you need more gun? Am I tracking?

Yea that sounds great, Tommy Tough Nuts would certainly approve, but not everyone is is able to handle being in a physical altercation with someone.

He should have just started his car and drove away, waiting for the guy to even approach his vehicle is where he went wrong. He should also be carrying OC spray for situations like that.

For quite a few people on here, due to age, medical conditions, etc., a fight could be deadly or have serious permanent consequences, it's not always simple. For someone that's severely myopic they could get their retina detached and lose their eyesight, some people have heart problems, mobility issues, children with them, etc.

Guy who has no business talking or approaching you runs up on you and scares your girlfriend as you're loading up groceries and you wanna throw hands? Lol. That cane is a weapon if he smashed the window (it was her car and she was sitting in the driver's seat terrified already) you can bet the gun would be out. But why look for a fight when you can avoid one? Would you consider yourself a "tough guy"?

I use my ankle holster anytime I have to wear a suit and can not use an IWB. Not too buff anymore these days either.
Wearing a suit is the perfect time to carry strong side IWB or even OWB, jacket covers the gun? Tuckable holsters are a thing now also, I use one with a p365 or g43 any time I've got to tuck my shirt in.

Guy who has no business talking or approaching you runs up on you and scares your girlfriend as you're loading up groceries and you wanna throw hands? Lol. That cane is a weapon if he smashed the window (it was her car and she was sitting in the driver's seat terrified already) you can bet the gun would be out. But why look for a fight when you can avoid one? Would you consider yourself a "tough guy"?
I didn't say fight him, don't put words in my post.

lol what? Yeah, no one has ever, ever successfully used a gun in self defense in MA.
Lol just more of those people who move out of MA and then keep checking this forum to post trolololol sucks to be you guys in commiechusetts lololol. Aren't there local new gun forums for these guys

Wearing a suit is the perfect time to carry strong side IWB or even OWB, jacket covers the gun? Tuckable holsters are a thing now also, I use one with a p365 or g43 any time I've got to tuck my shirt in.
I am 90% OWB in suits. Only have two pairs of dress pants that allow IWB. Too many tactical rolls.

I think you need to take a break from being defensive over your silly thread and reflect on the situation.
No I really would like to know. I thought hurrying it up to get in the car and locking the door was the smartest play. There wasn't time to start it and leave. Putting my hand on my gun but not displaying it was also in my opinion the best thing to do just in case. Isn't that why we all carry? For the unexpected bullshit moments? You replied to this thread calling me out for whatever reason so I'd politely ask your advice what should I have done instead.

I was told by several people that carrying a five shot .38 snubby in today's dangerous world is no longer enough protection because a lot of bad guys work in groups now. Some of these guys don't leave home without a kitted out RMR on the slide Glock 19 and 3 spare mags, total of 60+1 rounds on them.

Where does NES land in this area? What *amount of gun* would you feel is good enough for EDC where you live and travel when out and about?
Go spend some time reviewing a ton of the shooting footage on the Active Self Protection youtube channel. A 5 round snubby will do the job in at least 95% of the civilian encounters, probably 99%. However, it is really not sufficient in a meaningful number of the LEO encounters.

Of all the footage on the channel, John says he has seen a civilian use a reload ZERO times, although I can recall from memory a few multiple attacker videos with a full ~15 round mag used.

YMMV

Go spend some time reviewing a ton of the shooting footage on the Active Self Protection youtube channel. A 5 round snubby will do the job in at least 95% of the civilian encounters, probably 99%. However, it is really not sufficient in a meaningful number of the LEO encounters.

Of all the footage on the channel, John says he has seen a civilian use a reload ZERO times, although I can recall from memory a few multiple attacker videos with a full ~15 round mag used.

YMMV
Makes sense. I figured LEOs need the ability to engage suspects from more than 30 feet away and multiple officers with red dot pistols would help in those circumstances. Kinda hard to claim self defense if a civilian needed to cap someone from that far so the snubby belly gun should suffice.

You were carrying a full size pistol while locked in your car, seems to me you had enough gun in case the guy needed to get shot. Seems you didn't need your gun, so the encounter wasn't that violent. Good job? I am not sure what advice you need from me other then I wouldn't share an experience like this on the internet.

My comment about getting in a fist fight and losing was more about the fact that you are not made out of glass, and do not need a gun for every encounter that may seem odd.

Last edited:

YMMV
Curious as to why that is (without seeking to confirm my own biases). How are LEO deadly force encounters vastly different than civilian encounters? Different criminal mindset? Taken by surprise as opposed to knowing your opponent is armed? Smoke'em if you got'em on the part of LEO?

We hear the antis say "Civilians shouldn't have that, only police (and military) should have that."

You were carrying a full size pistol while locked in your car, seems to me you had enough gun in case the guy needed to get shot. Seems you didn't need your gun, so the encounter wasn't that violent. Good job? I am not sure what advice you need from me other then I wouldn't share an experience like this on the internet.

My comment about getting in a fist fight and losing was more about the fact that you are not made out of glass, and do not need a gun for every encounter that may seem odd.
Oh noted. I thought you meant I should have presented myself to get my ass beat by the random guy with the cane lol.

Curious as to why that is (without seeking to confirm my own biases). How are LEO deadly force encounters vastly different than civilian encounters? Different criminal mindset? Taken by surprise as opposed to knowing your opponent is armed? Smoke'em if you got'em on the part of LEO?

We hear the antis say "Civilians shouldn't have that, only police (and military) should have that."
Because cops don’t have the option of walking away from an encounter, they have to pursue.

But even if 99% of recorded incidents didn’t require a reload or more than x rounds, I don’t plan on being in that 1%.

Figure it's cause cops can 18 round mag dump a bad guy from way further than "self defense ranges" and don't go to prison for murder for it. How often do you hear about civilians getting into firefights or just needing to shoot dead an armed guy with a knife in a hand 30 feet away?

you need to go get in a fist fight and lose.
I don't recommend this. If you wish to try, take up boxing or something to do this in a controlled environment. In the wild, any violent encounter can get out of control. Do not underestimate how far your opponent is willing to go.

Back
Top Bottom