• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the most likely scenario...

whatever the case I'm not worried about the state challenging the accessibility of my firearm, it's easily accesible and in compliance with applicable laws.

I"ve held men at gunpoint 4x in my life, none were at home. i've drawn on mean dogs several times and actually had to shoot one of them. One rd to the top of his head dropped him like a rock, with a 'mere" .22lr, too. It's quite rare that you have to fire, and even more rare that mere "misses" don't suffice to run off your attacker. It's even more rare when poor hits (or fast, repeat chest hits with a "mere" .22lr don't suffice, too. You are WAY ahead to be really fast and accurate, and have "only" a reliable .22lr pistol than you are to be slow and inaccurate with a 357, for real. By really fast and accurate, I mean able to toss up a pair of soda cans with the hand that you clear your concealing garment with, draw and hit both cans in midair, at least 3 out of 4 tries. With such skill and knowing to fire swiftly and repeatedly at the head, a man carrying a "mere" .22lr handgun is no joke at all, because nearly always, in civilian, justifiable self defense, the range is 15 ft or less, and normally, it is closer to 5 ft than 15 ft. But, it will be in poor light, on moving targets, and you will probably win or lose in the first 1 second of the fight. Mostly by being lucky, or by knowing enough to take cover before you draw. :)

Last edited:
Most likely for me, here, would be an attempted break in.

Although somebody snapping at work isn't that far off.

OP amended.

Home invasion.........oh, have you ever tried to get your gun at 2am from the safe waking up from a sound sleep? You got about 3 seconds if you get right up! Your only hope is they go for the wife and kids first and you get an extra few seconds. So now how do you like your gun safe?

I think about this all the time and how useless my guns are 10 feet away from me under lock and key. I was going to grab a safe to put in my night stand, the odds of getting to it faster are better but, still not as fast as i would like.

I"ve held men at gunpoint 4x in my life, none were at home. i've drawn on mean dogs several times and actually had to shoot one of them. One rd to the top of his head dropped him like a rock, with a 'mere" .22lr, too. It's quite rare that you have to fire, and even more rare that mere "misses" don't suffice to run off your attacker. It's even more rare when poor hits (or fast, repeat chest hits with a "mere" .22lr don't suffice, too. You are WAY ahead to be really fast and accurate, and have "only" a reliable .22lr pistol than you are to be slow and inaccurate with a 357, for real. By really fast and accurate, I mean able to toss up a pair of soda cans with the hand that you clear your concealing garment with, draw and hit both cans in midair, at least 3 out of 4 tries. With such skill and knowing to fire swiftly and repeatedly at the head, a man carrying a "mere" .22lr handgun is no joke at all, because nearly always, in civilian, justifiable self defense, the range is 15 ft or less, and normally, it is closer to 5 ft than 15 ft. But, it will be in poor light, on moving targets, and you will probably win or lose in the first 1 second of the fight. Mostly by being lucky, or by knowing enough to take cover before you draw. :)

Just hope the guy your shooting at isn't wearing an under shirt or jacket. .22's might bounce off.

I think about this all the time and how useless my guns are 10 feet away from me under lock and key. I was going to grab a safe to put in my night stand, the odds of getting to it faster are better but, still not as fast as i would like.

This is why I have a lock on the bedroom door and a (frustrating as hell to open) baby gate between the bedroom and the front door. The noise of trying to clear the baby gate will wake the little yapper up, as would the sound of the front door closing (it closes damned near magnetically, makes a nice heavy click that CANNOT be stopped); his barking wakes me and the fiancee up, giving me the time needed to unlock the 1911 and load the always loaded magazine(kept in a separate ammo can). We have run some drills, and I know I can have the 1911 unlocked, loaded, and brought to bear in less than 12 seconds, and the fiancee is only a second or two behind me. I ALMOST pity the person who decides that the barking dog and noise is not reason enough to leave... almost. I can replace a door or two, I cannot replace my fiancee.

Now that I'm thinking about it, baby gates have got to be one of the best deterrents / early warning systems ever invented. I can't even count the times I've nearly been killed by one in the middle of the night, and that was in my own damn house / apartment on a gate I put there.
I have been killed by one... Re-dislocated a knee on the !@#$ing thing...

Next time, I will clear the hall of baby gates with a shotgun to be sure.

Now that I'm thinking about it, baby gates have got to be one of the best deterrents / early warning systems ever invented. I can't even count the times I've nearly been killed by one in the middle of the night, and that was in my own damn house / apartment on a gate I put there.

I think you're on to something here; the "Home Alone" method might actually work. Baby gate + Matchbox cars & marbles. I was originally going to go with small, sharp figurines (I have two boys), but I'm guessing any "perp" would likely be wearing shoes.

Bare copper wires dangling from the ceiling, hooked directly into a switched 110 source... flip the switch on for bed, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't forget to switch it off on your trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night... (idea stolen from the "Tough Mudder" competition)

what if egads scooby, you have a firearm at the ready near your bed. whose gonna know besides you if its unlocked or locked

maybe it will know itself, i heard them there guns have a mind of their own. yous know they dangerous right thats what the teacher told us in scool

what if egads scooby, you have a firearm at the ready near your bed. whose gonna know besides you if its unlocked or locked

maybe it will know itself, i heard them there guns have a mind of their own. yous know they dangerous right thats what the teacher told us in scool

The SWAT Team that accidentally raids your house because the warrant has the wrong address on it, or when Great Aunt Matilda has a heart attack while visiting you and you call the EMTs and the cops come too, ensuring that there are no "public safety issues."

Back
Top Bottom