• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WHAT IS WRONG with people (Rant)

As Memorial day approaches, towns have been putting American flags on street lights to celebrate.
I was heading to work last night and noticed a flag laying in the road. It had fallen off the pole.
I had to wait for 4 cars to pass before I could cross the road (25 mph zone). I picked it up and noticed a tire track on it!
SOME ******* actually drove over old glory, like a discarded piece of trash! [angry]

I stuck the pole in the dirt next to the side walk and went on my way.

I felt great for picking her up, but was totally pissed no one else picked it up before I did and that someone ran it over!

These are the same people that elect enemies of the constitution. I stopped wondering what's wrong with people a long time ago an accept the fact that around 50% of the people in this country are jackasses.

I don't offer this as an excuse because there is no excuse. This is just a possible reason. People are unconscious when they drive. I've seen people talking on phones,texting,reading and doing their hair, all while driving. I wish I was that talented.

I do mobile road service in a box truck with multiple strobes on it. You'd be surprised what people will miss on the side of the road. The fact that I've almost been hit a thousand times doesn't really shock me that they don't see a flag on the side of the road. Thank you for honoring our flag though.

To most it seems the flag is just a colorful bit of clothe. Very few embrace the meaning and sacrifice it represents. These are these are the same people that elect the the a- holes that also have no respect for the meaning of the flag.

On the topic of flags, why is it that every time I look at a ****ing flag pole the flag is flying at half mast? Some Senator I never heard of dies? Half mast for a week. 3 people killed in a bombing? Half mast for a week. Soldier died? Half mast for a week. Flying the flag at half mast is admitted defeat and should NEVER be done. ****ing enrages me.

I can't remember the mast time I saw the flag flying high and proud.

On the topic of flags, why is it that every time I look at a ****ing flag pole the flag is flying at half mast? Some Senator I never heard of dies? Half mast for a week. 3 people killed in a bombing? Half mast for a week. Soldier died? Half mast for a week. Flying the flag at half mast is admitted defeat and should NEVER be done. ****ing enrages me.

HALF STAFF AMERICAN FLAG NOTIFICATIONS

- - - Updated - - -

I do mobile road service in a box truck with multiple strobes on it. You'd be surprised what people will miss on the side of the road. The fact that I've almost been hit a thousand times doesn't really shock me that they don't see a flag on the side of the road. Thank you for honoring our flag though.

Place your vehicle behind the truck and angle it out towards the left and turn the wheel all the way to the left to give yourself some coverage. You'll be blocking traffic slightly but your life is more important.

I've done this multiple times , driving down the road seeing a flag on the ground I stop and pick it up. I ask the same question wtf ! Gerry is right people ate basically zombies and unaware of anything beyond the scope of self absorption. Btw happy memorial day and thanks to those here and gone especially my dad.

Is this a serious post?

Seriously,some cop or firefighter dies in another state they are flying flags at half mast..They should just never fully raise the flag..I think after the marathon bombing a lot of flags were half mast for over 2 weeks.It kind of loses it's meaning if they fly it half mast too much.

Disagree with your last sentence though..it should be flown at half mast for heads of state only.No cops,firefighters or congress people.

Boston strong.

Last edited:
Is this a serious post?

I actually agree with his post. The flag at half mast has been out of control. What was it for Sandy Hook? 2-3+ weeks?

The flag being lowered has become a political thing with the original meaning off to the side. When I see it lowered now the 1st thing I think of is something negative about the reason it is presumably down, not that it was lowered for a more legit reason.

Like Greg said "Boston Strong."

yes, Boston, you are so strong. You're so strong infact that some ******* businessman spun it into good money so people who live in MA can feel bad for themselves and buy the merchandise. If Boston was strong, which it's not, it would of showed us that the bombing didn't phase it. But it obviously did, and people to this day are still dwelling on it. My schools graduation last week had the stupid ribbons on all the graduates. I'm past it. I don't let the terrorists scare me, because when they do, they won.

Flying the flag at half mast is not a sign of surrender

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection —
the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and
the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

Btw the origin of flying flag at half-mast was to symbolically allow room for the flag of death. I think nowadays for the British "half-mast" means they still fly their flag exactly one flag-height below the top because of this. Pretty much everywhere else is half-mast (or half-staff for landlubbers).

Last edited:
I actually agree with his post. The flag at half mast has been out of control. What was it for Sandy Hook? 2-3+ weeks?

The flag being lowered has become a political thing with the original meaning off to the side. When I see it lowered now the 1st thing I think of is something negative about the reason it is presumably down, not that it was lowered for a more legit reason.

Like Greg said "Boston Strong."

yes, Boston, you are so strong. You're so strong infact that some ******* businessman spun it into good money so people who live in MA can feel bad for themselves and buy the merchandise. If Boston was strong, which it's not, it would of showed us that the bombing didn't phase it. But it obviously did, and people to this day are still dwelling on it. My schools graduation last week had the stupid ribbons on all the graduates. I'm past it. I don't let the terrorists scare me, because when they do, they won.

Sorry I cannot agree with his post. It is not a sign of surrender and it should be done on appropriate occasions. Like tomorrow from sunrise to noon for Memorial Day.

I do think that presidents and governors go WAY overboard on when to bring flags to half mast. Then again Deval and Obama wouldn't understand it anyways.

I do like, however, the flag at half mast during the day of the funeral for a service member KIA. Cops and firemen? No. That's what State and Town flags are for.

Last edited:
The lack of respect for our own flag bums me out. People are "too busy" worrying about themselves forget about taking a few minutes to do the right thing and pick up the flag. My dad has a small banjo making company. He sent some stuff out to the boys in Afghanistan. Out of appreciation those guys sent my dad an awesome letter and a flag they flew in a mission in honor of his company. When he started to unfold it I jumped all over him cuz I thought it was gonna hit the floor! He did not know that is a "no no"[rolleyes]. Needless to say he does now and that flag is now properly folded and in a suitable case. Happy Memorial Day everybody, enjoy and be safe!

Flying the flag at half mast is not a sign of surrender

Btw the origin of flying flag at half-mast was to symbolically allow room for the flag of death. I think nowadays for the British "half-mast" means they still fly their flag exactly one flag-height below the top because of this. Pretty much everywhere else is half-mast (or half-staff for landlubbers).

I do it one flag length, as its how I was instructed to do so in the Navy. Like most Navy traditions, they are born from the Royal Navy. People piss me off when I see the flag so low it's in trees or tangled on roofs.

Thank you for picking up our flag, it still means a lot to some of us. I have been out of this nation on multiple occasions and cannot tell you the pride I feel when I come home and see our flag at the border/airport. It means home, amongst other things.

The town I work for flies.....the UN flag on the common.....that's right. There is an American flag too but with the UN flag there it almost smacks of disrespect or of some political statemen. Maddening when it is our flag (country) that gives people the god given right to be A wholes.

Back
Top Bottom