WHAT IS WRONG with people (Rant)

Yes, that. Which is why I went there and drove this around the center of town for a couple of hours... [grin]

58993_1393966495847_7127425_n.jpg

As a surveyor we work on the sides of roads a lot. I am always grabbing those little car flags off the sides of roads and end up takeing a dozen or so to a VFW. I still remember going though boxes and boxes of old flags in boy scouts and RESPECTFULLY 'destroying' the ones that are no good anymore.

Yes, that. Which is why I went there and drove this around the center of town for a couple of hours... [grin]

58993_1393966495847_7127425_n.jpg

My hero! <no sarcasm> That is awesome. +1

As for SR556's "it is a sign of defeat" That is like saying a LEO wearing the black band around their badge to honor a fallen brother is a sign of defeat. That is ridiculous! It is a remembrance and a show of respect for someone who made the ULTIMATE sacrifice. I do however agree that it is flown at half mast too often and frequently for the wrong reasons.

To the OP... Great job! +1 for you too. I am glad to know I'm not the only one who does these things. Whenever I walk my dog in the cemetery near my house I always reposition any flags near the graves that have fallen over or are touching the ground. I nearly had an aneurism when I read the thread about someone going to their range to find some *******s USING OUR FLAG AS A TARGET!!!

People soo soon forget the massive sacrifice of our vets. It is hard to look at an American flag and not swell up with pride. I credit you jonw for your composure as I would have blown a gasket seeing our flag in that condition. I understand accidents happen but I mean nobody stopped?!

Sorry I cannot agree with his post. It is not a sign of surrender and it should be done on appropriate occasions. Like tomorrow from sunrise to noon for Memorial Day.

I do think that presidents and governors go WAY overboard on when to bring flags to half mast. Then again Deval and Obama wouldn't understand it anyways.

I do like, however, the flag at half mast during the day of the funeral for a service member KIA. Cops and firemen? No. That's what State and Town flags are for.

Agreed and well said. +1!

[offtopic]Back on topic, thanks to jonw for having the honor to stop and retrieve the great symbol of our freedom.

The fact that people fly the flag at night unlit is enough to piss me off.

The worst violations of flag etiquette are by "patriotic" Americans who think it should be illegal to burn the flag, and that anyone doing so should go to prison after a thorough beat-down.

You can recognize them by their flag clothing, flag decorations, and flag beer koozies, waving little Chinese-made flags that get tossed in the trash with the flag paper napkins or just dropped on the ground when the parade is over.

Don't get me started about the 'lebenty-hundred flags in a line, when there is supposed to be one flag per location.

The flag is the symbol of our nation, and lowering the flag to half mast is like the country on it's knees. The same flag that was carried into battle should NEVER be lowered in response to a terrorist attack, holiday, death, etc. Our country is strong and our flag should reflect that by never lowering itself to anything.

But hey, I'm also the same guy that gets pissed to see American flag napkins.

I came back from vacation to find my flagpole, that was flying the American flag at the time, was stolen from my front yard. Who steal's an American flag???

I would have taken the flag and threw the pole through your god damn window. Can you really not understand why?

Last edited:
Well...before you get all indignant and share your virture...WTF was wrong with you OP? You find a soiled flag, what are you supposed to do with it? Burn it. If you can't turn it over to one of the Veteran's Organizations and they periodically destroy soiled flags THE RIGHT WAY...but you just had to share what a great red blooded American Patriot you are, huh? Why don't you share with the men and women still over in Afghanistan, I'm sure they would like to know what a great American you are.

As I get older, I reflect on Memorial Day and I am beginning to believe more and more that is has little to do with the dead. It is a photo op for politicians, it is an opportunity for Red Blooded Sons of Liberty to assuage their guilt over never having served and a cheap way to feel better, and lets a lot of old farts who fought in wars past, who couldn't wait to get out of the service while they did shovel s**t in Louisiana (to quote the Patton film) a chance to play hero while they put a flag on some veteran's grave.

Ya know, I kinda think that the great unwashed masses have the right idea. Memorial Day Weekend should be a big three day party, with beer, barbecque, NASCAR, baseball, the Indianapolis 500 and a general party, because I think of all what the dead of Antietam, San Juan Hill, Belleau Wood, Iwo Jima, the Chosan Reservoir, Hue, Fallujah, FOBs in Afghanistan and a thousand other shitty places where American lives have been lost, the guys I knew wouln't want you to be all sentimental and stuff...hell, they'd want ya to Party. This weekend should be a celebration of their lives, not their deaths or their "sacrifice"...me, I'd like to quaff a few today, and if I could link up with Sky Soldier and get drunk with him, not because of the horror of war, but for the celebration of life, their lives...in marked and unmarked graves throughout the world, at the bottom of the oceans, so I say forget your patriotic virtue and all this "honor the dead" crap, instead, honor life, celebrate their lives by living yours, party hearty today. These guys (and some gals) didn't want to die, but they did, but I think they probably are glad that you are alive, so live today and by living today...you honor them and remember that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Well...before you get all indignant and share your virture...WTF was wrong with you OP? You find a soiled flag, what are you supposed to do with it? Burn it. If you can't turn it over to one of the Veteran's Organizations and they periodically destroy soiled flags THE RIGHT WAY...

Being soiled is not reason to retire a flag. They can be cleaned, you know. A flag is retired when it's unserviceable due to wear or damage, not just because it's dirty.

I bet you learned back in Brownies that it has to be destroyed if it ever touches the ground, too.

Being soiled is not reason to retire a flag. They can be cleaned, you know. A flag is retired when it's unserviceable due to wear or damage, not just because it's dirty.

I bet you learned back in Brownies that it has to be destroyed if it ever touches the ground, too.

No as you recall we both learned that myth when we served back in the same Girl Scout Troop together. I remember you quite well, you were the one with the pretty mouth, and yes you are correct, a momentary slip but then we were Brownies together a very long time ago. When you think about it though, our Patriot Original Poster still didn't do the right thing, but he just had to share 'bout what a great flag waver he is, so the end result is the same.

The main issue here is: Do you feel better now that you have corrected me, are you proud of yourself? Cuz that's what this is really all about, honey.

Last edited:
No as you recall we both learned that myth when we served back in the same Girl Scout Troop together. I remember you quite well, you were the one with the pretty mouth, and yes you are correct, a momentary slip but then we were Brownies together a very long time ago. When you think about it though, our Patriot Original Poster still didn't do the right thing, but he just had to share 'bout what a great flag waver he is, so the end result is the same.

The main issue here is: Do you feel better now that you have corrected me, are you proud of yourself? Cuz that's what this is really all about, honey.

Take your love for the "Rainbow flag" and go play some where else.
US Americans who care what happends to our flag don't want your opinion. (Even though your allowed to express it)
A dirty flag does not need to be destroyed. "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning"
The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

As for being a great flag waver, why yes I am.

- - - Updated - - -

At Old Orchard Beach I saw the hottest brunette wearing a stars and stripes thong bikini. I wanted to rip it off and spank the crap out of her. My wife gave me the look so I just let it go and looked at the backside as she passed.

-Trolling via S3.-

Take your love for the "Rainbow flag" and go play some where else.
US Americans who care what happends to our flag don't want your opinion. (Even though your allowed to express it)
A dirty flag does not need to be destroyed. "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning"
The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

As for being a great flag waver, why yes I am.

- - - Updated - - -

You may be a great flag waver but you are lacking in critical reading skills. I acknowledged that I was incorrect. No where did I say anything about a Rainbow Flag, and having served 20 years, 5 months and 28 days in both the USAF and the bulk of my service the US Army, don't even presume to give me lectures about patriotism or what a great American you think you are.

Maybe I should add Life Member VFW to my signature block, what do you think sweetheart? Also I don't need to be a member of some club to know what an illegal order is, and I am still legally bound by my oath as a retired commissioned chief warrant officer. Apparently you don't know or you wouldn't have to join a club to know, and BTW I take my oath to the Constitution of the United States very seriously and if and when men decide to override it, I don't need some Oath Keeper club to tell me what to do.

So wave your flag (or wave your weenie for all I care,) a pretty cheap way of expressing your love of country and patriotism.

In case you think I am some kind of arm chair wannabe here's my info: my real name is Mark Louttit and I live in Leominster, MA...feel free to check me out so you know I'm not blowing smoke up your flaccid patriotic ass. That's more than you will ever do, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I do like, however, the flag at half mast during the day of the funeral for a service member KIA. Cops and firemen? No. That's what State and Town flags are for.[/QUOTE]

This^^

Happy memorial day everyone and thank you to those who served

No, but I feel better because you were wrong and had to admit it.

Then you must really dislike me which is in a way very immature. Not that I care, really, but that we are both allies in the same cause. If you cannot see that, or recognize the fact that we might have to work together to achieve a common goal, can be a serious indicator of emotional immaturity or perhaps an issue with core values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then you must really dislike me which is in a way very immature. Not that I care, really, but that we are both allies in the same cause. If you cannot see that, or recognize the fact that we might have to work together to achieve a common goal, can be a serious indicator of emotional immaturity or perhaps an issue with core values.

Yes, I totally got that vibe from your post in this thread. You seem like such a nice, sincere guy, and insults and attacks are a level to which you would never sink.

Back
Top Bottom