What is your favorite milsurp to shoot?

As the title says, what do you like shooting the most out of your C&R guns? For me, I have to say it's my 1946 Russian M44. The noise, the fireballs, the kick... I love it. The M1 Garand is a close second but I really enjoy the Mosin bolt action stuff.

Tough call. I have an early war M1 Carbine that is all original and been through the ringer. Still shoots well and makes me think of what it’s seen every time I bring i5 out

Darn. All of them.
Had the Swede out today. It's not exactly stock, but the 2x EER scope does make it easier to keep on target. Normally, I'm shooting coated bullets with reduced pistol powder loads for economical fun.
Yesterday it was the FR-7's turn. Sat and popped off some frangibles at water-filled cans and a steel plate.
It's been a few weeks since I ran the m1891 Argentine,
If I feel like chasing brass, the MAS is the ticket.
The K31 is probably getting moldy in the case under the bed. I guess it's time to take that out into the sunshine...

Attachments

• 7.5SwissFMJBT4.jpg
    7.5SwissFMJBT4.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 14
  • 7.65Arg(1).jpg
    7.65Arg(1).jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Swz7.5(sf).jpg
    Swz7.5(sf).jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 13
  • watercans.jpg
    watercans.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    385.9 KB · Views: 13
I think the hands-down NES favorite is the Remington 1858:

Just gonna put this out there..1858

Superior to Clock

[devil] Sorry, couldn't resist. On a serious note my personal favorite is a 1903 Springfield National Match. The polished bolt works like glass and the trigger is fantastic. Ergonomics of this particular C stock are fantastic. The old star gauged barrel is still very accurate and I've some some matches with this rifle. Last time I shot it in a match I botched the reload in rapid fire, so 100% my bad. I generally don't keep my collectible stuff and usually sell to build the next match rifle, but this one is such a joy to shoot I just can't part with it.

Emotionally? My grandfather's Winchester Model 62 takedown, followed right by my father's Mossberg Model 42M. It's always fun to burn up a brick of rimfire.

As a military C&R, it has to be my very first Lee-Enfield, a No.4 Mk.2 Fazakerly. It came to my father from his cousin, who lived less than a block from the Tulsa Gun Show (which happens next weekend!), and brought a duffle bag full of various stuff when I was too young to remember.

Nothing is more satisfying than that ultra-smooth close-on-cock LE action.

Hard to say....I enjoy shooting all my milsurps. But if I had to pick one, I'd say my Finn M39. I find it very ergonomic and comfortable to shoot so I find myself taking it to the range quite often. Second place would probably be my 1886 Lebel just because it's so quirky and has an interesting old-world feel to it.

Tough to say. I’d put the K31 and 1903A3 at the top.
👍yes!
The mosins where fun when 440 rounds could be had for under $100. I just sold my 91/30 and M44
They wont be missed.
I also like shooting the Arisaka 99s as rough and battle worn that they are its crazy how well they still shoot. My 3 will hold the black and with reloads close to ten ring.

the K31 and swede are closining in on top of fun to shoot and shoot accurate.

Winchester M1917...shot out to 600 yards at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship park. The sights/sight radius just work for me, but the ergonomics aren’t for everyone.

A friend of mine (@omfgrubert) that also enjoys shooting surplus junk like me, told me he’d rather die in a fire or get raped by hitler with AIDS than shoot my 1917 again...or something like that.

To each their own, I guess?

Geez, I would say #1 M1 carbine, #2 Garand, #3 Thompson submachine gun.

If I could ever get a chance to shoot a real WWII 1911 I know I would enjoy that.

03a3, enfield, and k31, I can shoot the wing off of a fly with any of those rifles and my finnish mosins are not far behind. For pure, chest thumping, caveman pleasure, m44 mosin is hard to beat as far as milsurps go. I would put the garand in there but I love my bolt actions, and I dont have to worry so much about what type of ammo I use in them.

Last edited:
As the title says, what do you like shooting the most out of your C&R guns? For me, I have to say it's my 1946 Russian M44. The noise, the fireballs, the kick... I love it. The M1 Garand is a close second but I really enjoy the Mosin bolt action stuff.
Love shooting my M44! Close 2nd is SKS.
For pistol, love the CZ82.

Winchester M1917...shot out to 600 yards at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship park. The sights/sight radius just work for me, but the ergonomics aren’t for everyone.

A friend of mine (@omfgrubert) that also enjoys shooting surplus junk like me, told me he’d rather die in a fire or get raped by hitler with AIDS than shoot my 1917 again...or something like that.

To each their own, I guess?
1917 fits me awful for cmp games. So does the M1 but not as bad.

Back
Top Bottom