What is your favorite milsurp to shoot?

The almighty M1 Garand, though sadly I don’t own one. My Chinese SKS has grown on me, now it’s a lot of fun to shoot. Looking into buying a Swede or Mauser because those look like a lot of fun too, but only after buying a Garand.
order one now from the cmp and it will be here by Xmass. I have a way to get $200 off.

Last edited:
Haven't shot them all enough to have a fave, but I'll say I've shot the Garand more than the others. Trying to stick with the one rifle and hopefully get better with time...esp Awfulhand.

Trying to stick with the one rifle and hopefully get better with time...esp Awfulhand.

Off topic and not directed at you, but the first step to shooting a good standing score is to stop calling it Awfulhand.

This entire thread is excellent, but post 66-70 speak to standing...

I like shooting my 1896 Swedish Mauser. Mine was made in 1912 and all parts have matching numbers.
That 6.5x55 cartridge is amazing. Extraordinarily accurate, flat shooting, very light recoil, and plenty of power.
Easily my favorite misurp.

I like the 1896 and the 6.5 a lot. I have 2 and they were my most accurate military rifles until I got a Swiss 1911 for Christmas.

Off topic and not directed at you, but the first step to shooting a good standing score is to stop calling it Awfulhand.

So that's the ticket? OK, done LOL.

Shot a 275-2 with the M1 at Ames last Sunday. I uncharacteristically drifted way off in rapids then proceeded to save my score in awfulhand offhand. That's where the 2 X's came from too. I think Gramp's ghost was nudging my muzzle into correct position just as I squeezed off each shot. In the WWII Philippines he was issued a BAR but traded it in for a M1 to be more mobile in the jungle mountains.

1917 - the weight sucks up the recoil and I can shoot way more rounds than an 03.

Finn M39 - accurate AND cheap ammo!

K31 - it's a fricken laser beam. Looks like I'm not the only one using IMR4064 and 165/168gr projos.

I get the mentality of this thought but it really does not matter what you call it. If you dont practice, call it what you will....that black dot will keep jumping out of the way!
Awfulhand, perfectscorehand, call it what you will , it comes down holding the black and letting the shot fly.
Gets harder with aging eyes , skills and lack of practice.
My average over the past few years is 76
Cmp games 265-275 is a good day.

I get the mentality of this thought but it really does not matter what you call it. If you dont practice, call it what you will....that black dot will keep jumping out of the way!
Awfulhand, perfectscorehand, call it what you will , it comes down holding the black and letting the shot fly.
Gets harder with aging eyes , skills and lack of practice.
My average over the past few years is 76
Cmp games 265-275 is a good day.

Dunno, this is just my opinion. I see too many guys sh-t talking their "awful" hand scores even before they get up and shoot, and then big surprise, they go down in flames.

I used to hate / fear standing. But now when I am having a bad day, or need to relax, I go to my range and shoot 20 rounds of standing. Usually puts my mind back to where it needs to be.

Dunno, this is just my opinion. I see too many guys sh-t talking their "awful" hand scores even before they get up and shoot, and then big surprise, they go down in flames.

I used to hate / fear standing. But now when I am having a bad day, or need to relax, I go to my range and shoot 20 rounds of standing. Usually puts my mind back to where it needs to be.
we shit talk because we know we have not shot or praticed since the last match.... I know the mental game , same shit with trap never say "hard right" or "hard left" targets are tough. Never say " on this hole I always hit the sand trap" .
Its really a mind set at the moment. If your not tired, blurred eyed and been practicing your scores go up. If your older , shooting 10-12 times per year things just dont go well most times

I never met anyone who says Im going to shoot all 10s step up and do so.
doing what works for that 6" between your ears is best.

Last edited:
Finn M39 - accurate AND cheap ammo!

K31 - it's a fricken laser beam. Looks like I'm not the only one using IMR4064 and 165/168gr projos.
Nope.
So is the M39 accurate even with surplus corrosive ammo? Like better than dinner plate accuracy at 100 yards?😂

My 1941 Johnson, is my favorite, maybe cause it usually draws some people over, over all it is just a great shooting rifle. Followed by my 30-40 Krag due to how smooth it is.

I would be all over you if I saw you shooting that at my range! Its on my gun bucket list even though I have yet to handle one, let alone shoot it.

I would be all over you if I saw you shooting that at my range! Its on my gun bucket list even though I have yet to handle one, let alone shoot it.
I have let many people fire it along with my M1 Garand, or any mil surp I bring to the range. I always bring some extra ammo, so someone else can try out a different weapon.

I have let many people fire it along with my M1 Garand, or any mil surp I bring to the range. I always bring some extra ammo, so someone else can try out a different weapon.

I'll do the same when I have something out of the ordinary that catches someone's eye. Part of the fun of it I think.

Where do you shoot it?

Back
Top Bottom