• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your Firearm Footprint?

namedpipes

NES Member
I started to write this post as a wisecrack in 1,000,000 Gun Sales In August but as I wrote, the idea kind of seemed to grow on me. Could this help in some way?

I think the official estimates (based on what I've read) were something a little over 1:1 (guns to persons). It will be interesting to see what happens when the ratio increases to 2:1, if it hasn't already.

Most of us know what a carbon footprint is, even if the exact size of our own CF is unknown.

WikiPedia said:
A carbon footprint is "the total set of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions caused directly and indirectly by an individual, organization, event or product" [1]. For simplicity of reporting, it is often expressed in terms of the amount of carbon dioxide, or its equivalent of other GHGs, emitted.

Guilt riddled liberals buy "offsets" from organizations that pay landowners in forested areas not to cut down their trees, so that the liberal can drive their big car, take their flight to Disney, etc., "knowing" that they have done their part to ensure the damage that THEY will do, is being repaired, somewhere.

We need to establish the concept of "Firearm Footprint". Someone like Flotter has a Firearm Footprint of say, 200:1 (I suppose), while someone new to the world of guns might have a FF of 0 or even 1:1.

Your FF would be more than just a count of your firearms, although that might be the largest part. Another element would be how often do you shoot, do you regularly CCW, do you reload, do you trade/sell or buy regularly, attend gun shows, are politically active, etc.

GOAL is sort of an example of selling Firearm Offsets, although it isn't really seen as that by most. We essentially enable them (by buying membership/offsets) to work on our behalf to help preserve our interests.

I'm suggesting an organization, along the lines of any of these: (google serach for buy carbon offsets) but instead, it sells Firearm Offsets.

If you don't want to (or can't) own firearms (unsuitable, cranky wife/husband, finances, whatever) but feel it is important to preserve them for whatever reasons, be that political, social, historical, cool... You buy the offset, a portion goes to overhead (run the website, staff), some to organizations like GOAL, NRA, etc., some goes to local organizations that perhaps teach safety, shooting skills, reloading or even trades like gunsmithing to youths or adults that are interested. Perhaps even a portion could go to current firearms owners in the form of incentives to purchase more firearms. Would a $50 rebate tip you towards buying that cool new item you saw last week?

So this last part might or might not fly (the legal eagles here can comment on if they choose) and might be explored by the Midway USA types of businesses: The business model would be interstate. You would be selling services (perhaps goods) across state lines. Actions by our Dear Leader or Congress, or even judges with undersized britches, that would impact the ability to do business, would (would it?) give you standing to sue based on unfair restraint of trade.

So there it is. If you are highly active, own a lot of guns, etc., you can sell some of your credits, if you can't/won't own enough guns to create an appropriate footprint, you can buy offsets and know you are helping!

If it flies, the liberals would hate us. Oh? Well, hate us MORE, then [laugh]

What is your Firearm Footprint?

Last edited:
Change it to Corbon Footprint and you will get more to submit theirs. Mine is 10:1 but will usually fluctuate up two and down one.

Ain't no one's business but my own.

I would like to calculate a "Word Power Footprint" somehow where you calculate strength of message in fewest words. I think you'd win.

Word Power = (1 / Number_of_Words_Used To_Convey_Message) * Quality_of_Message

I admire brevity, probably because I talk too much! [wink]

Yuri Orlov said:
There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?

We need to be gun ecofriendly and insure all of us have a least an 12:1 ratio to make up for the 11 that lack a firearm. [smile]

in the spirit of "for every animal you don't eat i'll eat three"...

for every firearm the antis don't buy i'll buy three. [smile]

Grin, may not be able to make the "three" threshold, but am doing my damndest to make sure I have all arms in all calibers I personally like..and am proficient with......22...22 WMR, .38, .357, 9mm, .45 ACP and LC, .460 Mag and .45 Win Mag (yes have an LAR Grizzly)....and a decent stash.

If any "antis" are monitoring, only thing I can say is, Stuff It! Go eat a cucumber. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom