• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Trigger control is absolutely the base and foundation of all other shooting skills.

But it’s not just as simple as that. You can have the best trigger control in the world with a perfect sight picture right in the x-ring. But if you don’t read the wind and don’t dial on for that 10mph wind at 600, you’re going to be in the 6 ring.

But yeah, squeezing out the most in a hand load or constantly searching for the better BC bullet, those are severely diminishing returns.
I'd take a well-executed, contolled-trigger shot with no wind call over a good wind reader with half-assed shot making skills every time.
Think about it: you make the correct wind call, but are careless with your trigger squeeze: that shot can be anywhere on paper and you won't know if your wind call was correct or not. Could be right, left, high, low.
Another shooter has great trigger-control and can hold X-ring elevation. If he misses the wind call, or doesn't look at mirage or flags at all, he's going to know immediately what went wrong because his shot is out at 9 or 3o'clock. Then it's just a matter of chasing the spotter. It's not the ideal way to do it, but the correct feedback and correction is instantly there to see.

Make every shot a perfect shot first: read wind second.

Cloverleafs are very self fulfilling, that is difficult to argue. How you get there is a journey most of us enjoy, we just all take different roads.

How many rounds through without cleaning? I’ve noticed on my bra and a few buddies dashers that carbon rings can show up fast and bump up pressure and speeds and things start to open up. Loose primer pockets already could also be a sign of a warm load.

around 2937. 30.8 does 2906.
i noticed a couple of times now that on cold barrel 31.1 does better, but as it warms up - 31.0 or 30.8 groups tighter. go figure.
wow that is fast. Is that Varget? maybe try H4350 but temp. is going to affect speed either way, sucks that it opens up those tight groups though.

just to keep thread going - it is not even a test anymore, just keep practicing at 300.
first group shows what it does with a cold barrel, then it as it gets to 40-50 C - groups open up. fliers are a pain, and it is still happening.
primer pockets get burned out also, more and more - that lapua 6BR brass does not really last long.

View attachment 631948
So winter shooting it is!

Triple all of your numbers to start “long range”. Start.
Was that in response to me? "Long range" is sort of a relative thing, different for everyone. My "long range" might be your "short range" or "medium range". Maybe the question should have been, "What is your xxx foot distance rifle platform?".

Was that in response to me? "Long range" is sort of a relative thing, different for everyone. My "long range" might be your "short range" or "medium range". Maybe the question should have been, "What is your xxx foot distance rifle platform?".

Looking back, ya I guess it was. I shoot .22 to 3-400y, .223 & .308 to 800 and 6.5C past that.

Edit: pistol calibers like 9mm or 45 are usually from 20-200y through pistols or carbines.

Last edited:
Anyone shooting with a tripod that’s sub $3-500 all in? How do they hold up? Suggestions?
I put one together with a Chinese Sirui tripod and Japanese Slik head. It’s fairly new so I haven’t really beat it yet. We’ll see how it does after I can take it out a bit further away from a firing line.

It’s all plenty sturdy, but I’d probably go with a different head next time. The Slik is good quality, but the adjustments clearly aren’t designed for using with a gun. A Two Vets head would probably be better.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/tactical-gear-zoolander-megathread.218332/post-8173256

1677378881911.jpeg

ill get laughed at, but after research i adopted 6.5 grendel and dropped .308

if ever need be, carrying 1 lower and 2 uppers is easier than carrying 2 rifles.
I know the situations will never arise. But its the thought tha counts.
Well, .308 bug bit me and I built one.
Its far better than the last .308 I had.
Mind the shitty picture
It has a different stock on it now and has a surefire war comp on it.

IMG_20230225_214114.jpg

I put one together with a Chinese Sirui tripod and Japanese Slik head. It’s fairly new so I haven’t really beat it yet. We’ll see how it does after I can take it out a bit further away from a firing line.

It’s all plenty sturdy, but I’d probably go with a different head next time. The Slik is good quality, but the adjustments clearly aren’t designed for using with a gun. A Two Vets head would probably be better.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/tactical-gear-zoolander-megathread.218332/post-8173256

View attachment 725610

I was looking at the BOG deathgrip infinite

Well, .308 bug bit me and I built one.
Its far better than the last .308 I had.
Mind the shifty picture
It has a different stock on it now and has a surefire war comp on it.

View attachment 725612

I have an AR10 with .308 & 6.5 uppers and the LaRue Siete on order with .308 & 6.5 barrels.

Those setups are for 800+, which is also what I want the tripod for since that part of the range is less … structured than the 400y and under.

Looking back, ya I guess it was. I shoot .22 to 3-400y, .223 & .308 to 800 and 6.5C past that.

Edit: pistol calibers like 9mm or 45 are usually from 20-200y through pistols or carbines.
Yikes. Our range is only 120, maybe 140 yards max.

Anyone shooting with a tripod that’s sub $3-500 all in? How do they hold up? Suggestions?

yep, Innorel LT364 & 52mm ballhead

Mike suggested to me the Innorel stuff from Amazon, I got the same tripod with their 54mm head for around $260 total. (amazon prices fluctuate)
Its primarily for rangefinder binoculars. I have shot my 20+lb rifle from it for practice, but haven't had the need to do so in a match yet.
The quality is surprisingly good for the price point. Photography nerds that have tripods 2x-3x $ say these are great options.

This reminds me that I wanted to upgrade my binos for this season...

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a good sling stud bipod?

I don't care about price, I care about quality.

Unfortunately the rifle has one stud, so I can't replace it with a rail. I saw some adapters for a single stud but I don't trust they will hold. Maybe they will? Recommendations?
Maybe this is a good one? (ACCU-TAC Sling Stud Rail Adapter For Bipod SSRA-200 Color: Flat Black, Length: 2.8 in, Weight: 0.5 oz, $3.50 Off w/ Free Shipping)

For a single sling stud, looks like the Magpul is the only game in town (I refuse to buy a Harris).

Unfortunately the rifle has one stud, so I can't replace it with a rail. I saw some adapters for a single stud but I don't trust they will hold. Maybe they will? Recommendations?
Maybe this is a good one? (ACCU-TAC Sling Stud Rail Adapter For Bipod SSRA-200 Color: Flat Black, Length: 2.8 in, Weight: 0.5 oz, $3.50 Off w/ Free Shipping)

For a single sling stud, looks like the Magpul is the only game in town (I refuse to buy a Harris).
If we're spending your money, I've heard great things about the Spartan products

If we're spending your money, I've heard great things about the Spartan products
Those look awesome.
I need to read some reviews on that magnet system.

Keep them coming, quality over price.

Those look awesome.
I need to read some reviews on that magnet system.

Keep them coming, quality over price.

I know they're not considered "top tier" bipods, but why not a Harris?

I know they're not considered "top tier" bipods, but why not a Harris?
They have always felt cheap to me. I don't like how they are adjusted, I don't like how they feel. I had a Harris when I didn't know better. This was years ago and it turned me off from Harris. Maybe they improved since then?

Unless someone tells me they have a line of high quality bipods.

Last edited:
I can get the BOG Deathgrip Infinite AL for $260 with ball head and is rated for 55# so I’m thinking to try that.
Is this tripod purely for setting up at the range from your trunk? Or do you think you might carry it hiking/hunting?

They have always felt cheap to me. I don't like how they are adjusted, I don't like how they feel. I had a Harrys when I didn't know better. This was years ago and it turned me off from Harris. Maybe they improved since then?

Did you have an actual Harris, or one of the many knock-offs? Mine is an old one; it feels unnecessarily heavy and doesn’t have many features, but it doesn’t feel cheap.

That said, I’ve been intrigued by the javelin bipods. Just haven’t had an urgency to try them.

They have always felt cheap to me. I don't like how they are adjusted, I don't like how they feel. I had a Harrys when I didn't know better. This was years ago and it turned me off from Harris. Maybe they improved since then?

Both my bipods are Harris, I don't think they feel cheap personally

Back
Top Bottom