• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

I’ve been thinking about going kind of the opposite direction from most chassis based precision rifles. Most of them, like my Bergara, start out pretty heavy, even before you add a scope and bipod. The Bergara starts out at 10.4 pounds, stripped. With it’s scope it’s running over 13 pounds. I’ve been looking for something lighter, that might actually be easier for me to tote in the field. So I’ve been looking at the Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle. Something in .308 like this:
Stripped, it’s only 6.9 lbs. With something like a Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP on it (under 1.4 pounds and add a couple of oz for the rings) and you’d have a precision setup under 9 lbs. .308 in a nine pound rifle shouldn’t be that bad from a recoil point of view and you can always go 6.5 CR if you want.
Read above. May want to do some research on their QC. a lightweight Tikka would save you a grand, or you could put the money towards a lightweight stock/chassis of your choosing or a carbon fiber/steel prefit, or possibly both.

May want to do some research on CA before ordering. Lots of reviews of blatant QC issues that shouldn't happen in that price range. You could build a nice lightweight hunting rifle for the same price.
may be, the specific brand is not the point, as, of course, there are alternatives. it is about the concept.

but the 6.5CM AR10 i got shoots very well too, a steady 1/2-3/4MOA.

I have an FN SPR in 308 lying around when I want to play sniper. It's adorned with a Leupold 3.5-10 scope and Accu-Tac bipod. I get very tight 1 shot groups. It has a 1 in 12 twist so I usually load cotton balls. I plan to heat the barrel and twist it from the muzzle end to tighten and make progressive rifling.
1650739965249.jpeg

Mine is a Mauser 98 Action, Squared and lapped, Douglas Barrel (number 5 taper) 30-06, 1 in 10 twist, Glass Bedded and barrel free floated in a MacMillan stock. Redfield International rear site and Tompkins Globe front site. Mount bases for a 10 power Unertl Scope. This is my 600 and 1000 yard rifle.

I have an FN SPR in 308 lying around when I want to play sniper. It's adorned with a Leupold 3.5-10 scope and Accu-Tac bipod. I get very tight 1 shot groups. It has a 1 in 12 twist so I usually load cotton balls. I plan to heat the barrel and twist it from the muzzle end to tighten and make progressive rifling.
View attachment 607202

I have this exact rifle in 308 with a chrome lined heavy barrel. It’s a great rifle and I’ve only been able to reach out to 400 yards so far with it. But it’s been very accurate up to that range. Someday I hope to street how it out a little more. Center rifle.

301AE096-7B5D-40AE-8C38-7ED979D7537E.jpeg

I have this exact rifle in 308 with a chrome lined heavy barrel. It’s a great rifle and I’ve only been able to reach out to 400 yards so far with it. But it’s been very accurate up to that range. Someday I hope to street how it out a little more. Center rifle.

View attachment 607304
308 is a great cartridge, but, i really do not see why it is repeatedly mentioned in the long range discussion, at all.
it is incredibly effective up to 300yds, shootbale up to 500yds, but, at a 1000yds - ?

A guy much smarter than me about long range said just get an RPR and shoot as far as you can find a range pretty much out of the box (obviously taking math into consideration)

308 is a great cartridge, but, i really do not see why it is repeatedly mentioned in the long range discussion, at all.
it is incredibly effective up to 300yds, shootbale up to 500yds, but, at a 1000yds - ?
Because .277 Fury’s are $3 a pop? 😂😂😂

Yeah I know… 6.5CM.

For me, I prefer to keep my cartridge types to a minimum: 45, 9, 308 and 12g of course. Store more ammo useful across guns.

Although the .277 Fury has me thinking of adding one more….

Yes. Shootable past 500 yards. A lot of history with .308 doing so.

Has been replaced largely by paper punchers even for 300 yards. I wouldn't choose it for punching paper past that either, but it's certainly very well known and capable.

Not many folks shooting 1000 yards around here, longest club range I know of is 600. And on that very range a friend of mine qualified with... yep .308 :)

I bet in places you got desert, you do hear a lot less about it. Just long range is a subjective statement.

I agree which is why I’m looking for a platform in 6.5CM at this point. From MC56’s recommendation I’m looking at a Tikka. I’m liking the TACT A1 rifle but just starting to look.

I have a16-inch Larue in 308 that I shot out to 1mile on 14-plates

Also a 6.5 CM, Bartlien barrel, Defiant Deviant Action

Previously owned 300mag and 300 norma

Have you guys never heard of a Palma rifle or the world famous Palma Match? An international rifle match shot with bolt-action, iron sighted rifles at ranges of 800, 900, and 1000 yards. The only calibers allowed are 308 and 223. Those guys don't feel handicapped by the 308.

Have you guys never heard of a Palma rifle or the world famous Palma Match? An international rifle match shot with bolt-action, iron sighted rifles at ranges of 800, 900, and 1000 yards. The only calibers allowed are 308 and 223. Those guys don't feel handicapped by the 308.
There are 1000 yards competitions shot with muskets.

Pedersoli builds a musket for this, the Gibbs.

i do applaud and admire those operating operators shooting at 1 mile and beyond with iron sights, but, i am definitely not one of them.

Last edited:
My longest available range is 300 yards, so I've been assembling a varmint gun in 223. It's a Tikka CTR with 20" barrel under a Razor HD Gen II. Now I need to spend more time actually learning to use it correctly.

One of the guys on here (@bigblue, IIRC) used to post range reports on the 1000 yard at Granby with his 223 hand loads, so I'm sure the cartridge is more capable than I am.

i do applaud and admire those operating operators shooting at 1 mile and beyond with iron sights, but, i am definitely not one of them.
Well, my point was that the old 308 was a perfectly acceptable/preferred caliber for 600-1000 yard shooting up until about 20 years ago. So anybody who has one doesn't have to get rid of it in favor of a new wonder-caliber in order to hit the target.
That those shooters can do it with iron sights means we should be more than able with a scope.

I don’t have much experience with long range shooting but being a reloading junkie, the different calibers are interesting to learn about, particularly all the 6mm cartridge variants. The gun platforms are also interesting. Wish there were more long range shooting opportunities in the NE. I have been researching the CMP range in AL and was thinking of making a stop there for a few days on a future road trip.

Well, There is the Range in Colonie, New York where 1000 yds events are shot and there are ranges in New Hampshire, Vermont and Mass. that have 600yds events.
I don’t have much experience with long range shooting but being a reloading junkie, the different calibers are interesting to learn about, particularly all the 6mm cartridge variants. The gun platforms are also interesting. Wish there were more long range shooting opportunities in the NE. I have been researching the CMP range in AL and was thinking of making a stop there for a few days on a future road trip.

m1a 308 cal match grade barrel, heavy wood stock with 3x9 leupold scope with original military bipod; been shooting this gun since 1984. handloads with 168 gr match grade bullets produces the best long range results. back then a national match grade m1a went for $800 for the gun alone. i bought it from a guy that needed $$ for $600, been satisfied with it ever since

Last edited:
I bought an off the shelf ruger 6.5 predator back when they were $325. Took the stock off, put a magpul hunter stock on there and a FFV Vortex scope. Think the whole deal cost me around $650.

Sighted at my local club with 3 shots in a cloverleaf less than an inch first try. Took it to Hardwick R&G shot 300 yards easy. Took it down to South Carolina and shot 1000 yards with a few adjustments. Hornady boxed 6.5 match ammo.

This all said, Im not shooting matches and I'm not looking at barrel longetivity. I do this only occasionally.....but I wanted 1000 yard gun and this did it fairly easy.

I've got 2 shooting buddies going down to Delaware 2 weekend from now for a 1000 yard match. One will be shooting his 308 Palma rifle, the other will be using his .223 AR Service Rifle with 90's. I think that will be a struggle with a 20" barrel, but he's a Double Distinguished shooter, so he'll have a better chance with it than most.
I'll try to remember to get a report when they get back.

If you're serious - definitely /thread.

If not - still /thread.

I'm not serious. But I wish I were, lol.

I've never really tried to reach out past about 300m or so, and I'm not terribly deadly past 250. So when SHTF, if a target appears out at 500 or so, I'd probably just have a beer while I wait for him to get closer.

If I did have to reach out, and thought I could hit, I'd do it with 7.62 NATO.

m1a 308 cal match grade barrel, heavy wood stock with 3x9 leupold scope with original military bipod; been shooting this gun since 1984. handloads with 168 gr match grade bullets produces the best long range results. back then a national match grade m1a went for $800 for the gun alone. i bought it from a guy that needed $$ for $600, been satisfied with it ever since
Last that I recall the come up for 1000yds, Iron sights for a National Match M1A/M14 is about 56 clicks of elevation. I have shot 1000 Yds with that platform using 173 grain Lake City Match ammo at Camp Pendleton, 29 Palms and Barstow, Ca.

Back
Top Bottom