What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I know range distances are limited in many areas, but I'm thinking of getting a new long range platform and am starting to look into the different options. I'd like to keep it in 6.5CM for now as I have a bunch of Match ammo in that caliber. From there I'd like to be able to extend out to 1000 plus yards. My gunsmithing skills and tools are limited, but am willing to try putting something together, but am not against a pre-built platform. For this I'm thinking of staying away from a RPR and go for something I can build up for PRS or other specific games were long range is the key.

I know I'll need to spend a good chunk on a scope, but I'll worry about that later once I have the rifle platform settled. Price wise is subjective at this point, but I'm not rich enough to dump $5K into a platform right at the get go.

So what do you have or what would you want if given the chance to buy/build your rifle?

Choose bullet first, then the cartridge you want to propell that bullet, then the rifle you want to fire that cartridge.

1000 yards and under, it's hard to argue with the 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Yes, the internet dumbasses will make fun of you, meanwhile you are quietly putting rounds on target with regularity, and they aren't because they are just internet blowbags.

1000 yards +, 300 Win Mag. Now the 338 Lapua and 50 cal guys will make fun of you, meanwhile you are quietly putting rounds on target with regularity, and they aren't because they can't afford ammo to practice.

Still rocking a 308win. I figure until I burn out the two barrels that I have enough to develop my fundamental skills it’s not worth me investing in another caliber to go beyond the 308’s capabilities. least not while I live in NE. once I do that I will swap in a 6.5cm barrel and maybe get a 300 or 338 platform and hopefully be living out west with enough range to actually use them.

Platform is a AI AE mkIII with a S&B PMII.

.308 with a 20" barrel was a struggle in colder temps at 1000 yards. I was near the max load to hit the higher node and that worked the brass pretty hard. A longer barrel definitely would have helped.

Now that I only have access to 450 yards, 7.62x39 is my go to long range cartridge of choice in a CZ-527

I know range distances are limited in many areas, but I'm thinking of getting a new long range platform and am starting to look into the different options. I'd like to keep it in 6.5CM for now as I have a bunch of Match ammo in that caliber. From there I'd like to be able to extend out to 1000 plus yards. My gunsmithing skills and tools are limited, but am willing to try putting something together, but am not against a pre-built platform. For this I'm thinking of staying away from a RPR and go for something I can build up for PRS or other specific games were long range is the key.

I know I'll need to spend a good chunk on a scope, but I'll worry about that later once I have the rifle platform settled. Price wise is subjective at this point, but I'm not rich enough to dump $5K into a platform right at the get go.

So what do you have or what would you want if given the chance to buy/build your rifle?
6.5CM is great for sure - as barrel will last long enough and shooting it is a lot of fun.
the budget there is really a limiting factor. for a stock rifle in $1500 category the bergara lrp2 was great 2 years ago - @cathouse01 at a time recommended it to me and it shoots good 1/3-1/4 MOA. like others said - 6.5CM is a 600yds caliber. going to 800yds+ - it is not the best.
next step up, somewhat - a 'factory' custom rifle - would be a $2500 level something like that, if you do like the MPA chassis (most do):

going up in price from $2500 level with custom actions and better barrels (if you will see what top dogs in prs competitions are using) - it probably would stop making any sense using 6.5CM, that will be a 6mm custom build or more powerful one, if you are looking at 1000yds specifically.

PS. i looked at gunbroker - what used to be a $1500 lrp2 bergara is now a $2000. inflation.

Last edited:
Anything in 6-7mm sort of reigns supreme in those ranges and any action will get the job done. Like ARs, the barrel is a key component. A custom action will start at 800, barrel 500, stock 350, trigger 200, and a.scope for around 850ish....the sky is the limit on all of these. consistent ammo is key and most people reload. Match ammo can be accurate , but most people relaod. Some actions have quick change barrels and can be swapped out at the range easily. There is no headspacing these. Triggers are a couple pins or set screws , stocks can be bedded by yourself, level the scope.and go. You dont need a gunsmith to build a nice rifle. Like reloading....it isnt that hard.

Last edited:
I have 2,
I started with a Tikka CTR 24" 6.5 CM and really did well with that in a KRG Bravo to start with. Tikkas are very smooth and accurate factory rifles.
I used up that barrel then took the Tikka action from my SS Tikka CTR and had it built by ICE Rifles, Keith put a HawkHill Barrel on it 7.5 twist 26" his own contour similar to MTU, chambered in 6 Dasher. I recently took it out of the KRG Bravo chassis with many upgrades to an MDT ACC chassis. I have a Vortex Razor HD 4.5 - 27 gen 2 scope on it and an APA Fat BAstard gen 3 brake

My other is a Terminus Zeus action $$$$ with a prefit Bartlein barrel 8.5 twist for some strange reason instead of 8 ,26" long from GA Precision chambered 6.5 CM sitting in an MDT ACC chassis as well. Scope was a Tango 6 5-30 but I just put a Razor on that as well. I also picked up a Proof prefit 6 dasher barrel for that.

Whatever you choose to do, get quality components buy once cry once but nothing wrong with shopping around. Most stuff these days are highly accurate.

For PRS the key is recoil management in order to see your impacts/misses. You can't go wrong with any of the BR variants like BRA etc. The trouble now with 6 mm is trying to find 105 hybrids or Varget, there are other options also but I don't like to mess with what works. Good luck

Last edited:
Bighorn Origin action, Proof 26" comp contour prefit, big n andy tacsport pro w/ low sear, hellfire match brake = $1900ish plus a chassis of your choosing. Done.

The only factory complete rifle with an action worth building on is Tikka, and the Origin above is a better action and the cheaper overall route if you can swing the upfront cost of 2300-3000 depending on your choice of chassis.

Bergaras are decent actions but you'll spend 900+ to rebarrel it which offsets any price savings on the first rebarrel. Proof prefits can be had for 450-500 out the door.

I'm currently running a custom Tikka in .308 shooting Tac class, but the plan is to build a 6 dasher on an Origin for next year.

Currently I’m a 14.5 AR guy, my entire philosophy of capabilities is centered around engaging targets under 200 yards if ever need be.

I’m thinking along the lines of a nice bolt action 6.5C or .308 eventually but I just don’t have anything longer than a 100 yard area to shoot regularly right now.

I know its not the same but with limited “long range” My long range platform is a old rem 513 22lr and play around out to 300

Bergaras are decent actions but you'll spend 900+ to rebarrel it which offsets any price savings on the first rebarrel. Proof prefits can be had for 450-500 out the door.

Interesting. I was just looking at Bergara B-14 BMP that looked interesting. Though $900 for a barrel swap is steep.

Interesting. I was just looking at Bergara B-14 BMP that looked interesting. Though $900 for a barrel swap is steep.

If you are looking for a factory rifle to get started and shoot your first season, it's a solid choice, though I'd personally steer towards Tikka as a better long term option due to prefit barrel availability.

If you want a custom rifle that you can shoot for years to come and have the best selection of aftermarket components, build on a Bighorn Origin action. You can build a great rifle for $2500 and all you need is a barrel vice and an action wrench.

Get/put together something cheap or maybe take a class with someone else’s rifle or a loaner if you aren’t sure if you really want to commit to something like this.

For bolt guns, a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. For Semi Auto, a Springfield M1A, a SCAR17 and a POF P308. For my purposes, they barely get shot given I don't hunt and limited opportunities for me to stretch their legs at my ranges.

Bighorn Origin action, Proof 26" comp contour prefit, big n andy tacsport pro w/ low sear, hellfire match brake
Perfect combo! I would expand the options on barrel and trigger.
1) 24" is enough for 1000yd as well. The reason to consider a shorter barrel is that it fits into most rifle cases on the market. Therefore, I would suggest a 24"-26" range for barrels.
2) Any Timney or Triggertech triggers are excellent and easier to get. Timney is the easiest one to find in stock. Triggertech Diamond triggers are amazing.

For the whopping 300 yards I can shoot at my clubs it's 308 in a Savage HS Precision and 6.5 Creedmoor and an RPR. Local shop has two RPR's, one in 338 Lapua and the other in 300 PRC but I just can't justify either one at the ranges available to me. Now they do have a nice Marlin in .444 I may bring home.

Back
Top Bottom