What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

I'm not serious. But I wish I were, lol.

I've never really tried to reach out past about 300m or so, and I'm not terribly deadly past 250. So when SHTF, if a target appears out at 500 or so, I'd probably just have a beer while I wait for him to get closer.

If I did have to reach out, and thought I could hit, I'd do it with 7.62 NATO.
I see nothing wrong with this thoughtful strategy beyond the fact that post-apocalyptic beer will be warmer than I prefer.

.338 remington ultra mag, IF your shoulder can take it!

I think it was made to hunt long horn sheep, on the other mountain top from where you are standing

I see nothing wrong with this thoughtful strategy beyond the fact that post-apocalyptic beer will be warmer than I prefer.

...I mean, I don't know what the rest of y'all expect to use your generators for after TEOTWAWKI, but mine is going to be keeping my beer cool. So I guess I'd say my long-range rifle "platform" includes a dorm fridge, a Generac, an L1A1, and some 7.62.

I know range distances are limited in many areas, but I'm thinking of getting a new long range platform and am starting to look into the different options. I'd like to keep it in 6.5CM for now as I have a bunch of Match ammo in that caliber. From there I'd like to be able to extend out to 1000 plus yards. My gunsmithing skills and tools are limited, but am willing to try putting something together, but am not against a pre-built platform. For this I'm thinking of staying away from a RPR and go for something I can build up for PRS or other specific games were long range is the key.

I know I'll need to spend a good chunk on a scope, but I'll worry about that later once I have the rifle platform settled. Price wise is subjective at this point, but I'm not rich enough to dump $5K into a platform right at the get go.

So what do you have or what would you want if given the chance to buy/build your rifle?
As stated the tikka is a great place to start and get your feet wet. They can be had fairly cheap in varmint or ctr configuration and will shoot great. If you ever decide to switch calibers, their actions being able to accept prefits, is very convenient. I’ve purchased a few for around 600-650.

With the tikka you will quickly find yourself upgrading the stock to either a competition stock or chassis as the factory configuration isn’t really ideal for what we do in prs. Tikka aftermarket parts are out there but not nearly as easy to find and plentiful as the 700 platform. This was my main reason for moving to the 700 platform.

If you could spend a little more than the Tikka I’d say the Bighorn Origin/ Proof Prefit are the best bang for the buck to get into the custom realm. The Origin having swappable bolt faces makes it very versatile. It’s also a 700 clone so your trigger and chassis options are endless. Being able to be into a custom barreled action for under $1500 is kind of a no brainer and the reason why these actions are so popular. Zermatt also has some of the best CS in the industry.

As stated the tikka is a great place to start and get your feet wet. They can be had fairly cheap in varmint or ctr configuration and will shoot great. If you ever decide to switch calibers, their actions being able to accept prefits, is very convenient. I’ve purchased a few for around 600-650.

With the tikka you will quickly find yourself upgrading the stock to either a competition stock or chassis as the factory configuration isn’t really ideal for what we do in prs. Tikka aftermarket parts are out there but not nearly as easy to find and plentiful as the 700 platform. This was my main reason for moving to the 700 platform.

If you could spend a little more than the Tikka I’d say the Bighorn Origin/ Proof Prefit are the best bang for the buck to get into the custom realm. The Origin having swappable bolt faces makes it very versatile. It’s also a 700 clone so your trigger and chassis options are endless. Being able to be into a custom barreled action for under $1500 is kind of a no brainer and the reason why these actions are so popular. Zermatt also has some of the best CS in the industry.
How difficult/challenging is to (properly) mate a custom action to a barrel on a prs rig? Is it really something a smith has to oversee or is it really no different than an AR barrel swap?
Like, specifically talking about zermatt and a bartlein?

Last edited:
With something like a Terminus Zeus with the quick change setup it’s done ins seconds.

With a good action and quality prefits, then it’s something that you can do on your own.

How difficult/challenging is to (properly) mate a custom action to a barrel on a prs rig? Is it really something a smith has to oversee or is it really no different than an AR barrel swap?
Like, specifically talking about zermatt and a bartlein?
With a quality shouldered prefit and action you literally screw barrel on and torque to roughly 75-100 ft-lbs depending on caliber. You’ll need an action wrench, barrel vise, and torque wrench. Make sure mating surfaces are clean and a little lube on threads. It’s also good to have a set of go, no-go gauges to double check.

Not all custom actions accept shouldered prefits but there are a lot that do. A barrel but setup is also an option but than you must set headspace.

With something like a Terminus Zeus with the quick change setup it’s done ins seconds.

With a good action and quality prefits, then it’s something that you can do on your own.
The barrel change is seconds but waiting for the action currently looks like years. [banghead]

With a quality shouldered prefit and action you literally screw barrel on and torque to roughly 75-100 ft-lbs depending on caliber. You’ll need an action wrench, barrel vise, and torque wrench. Make sure mating surfaces are clean and a little lube on threads. It’s also good to have a set of go, no-go gauges to double check.

Not all custom actions accept shouldered prefits but there are a lot that do. A barrel but setup is also an option but than you must set headspace.
So, a quality prefit barrel after been screwed in will guarantee the lands to be at a same distance previous barrel had?
The headspace thing is exactly that I do not get fully, how is it done on a fast swap setups.

So, a quality prefit barrel after been screwed in will guarantee the lands to be at a same distance previous barrel had?
The headspace thing is exactly that I do not get fully, how is it done on a fast swap setups.
Distance to the lands and headspace are two different things. If both barrels are made exactly the same then they will headspace exactly the same although they could have different freebore dimensions giving you different distance to the lands.

m1a 308 cal match grade barrel, heavy wood stock with 3x9 leupold scope with original military bipod; been shooting this gun since 1984. handloads with 168 gr match grade bullets produces the best long range results. back then a national match grade m1a went for $800 for the gun alone. i bought it from a guy that needed $$ for $600, been satisfied with it ever since
If we are talking the 168 Sierra Match King, that is a poor choice for Long Range 800+ yds. The 168 SMK was designed for .30 cal M1 / M1A / 1903a3 match grade , midrange precision. The 168 SMK is notorious for potentially unstable flight as it nears the transonic threshold.

Distance to the lands is a constantly changing thing. A barrel with 2000 rds through it will have a longer distance to lands than a brand new barrel, assuming the chamber was cut the same on both barrels when new.
Get one of the bullet comparator jigs to measure every new barrel installed, because you may have seated your bullets further and further out in an effort to chase the lands as it wears. Put those cartridges in a new barrel and you may be putting the bullets way into the lands and maybe spiking pressures to a "not good" level.

Quality of the barrel is irrelevant . What is important is that the barrel is manufactured to the dimensions specified by the action maker. A tenon print is provided by the action maker and if both parties do their part, you will have a barreled action in spec. Most of the tolerances are held to within .001 , which isn't hard if done on a cnc machine or a lathe with a dro.

Tightly held tolerances on actions, Shouldered prefits and quick change barrels eliminate the need for a gunsmith.

I have a Remington 725 chambered in 22-250. Shilen bull barrel (no taper) and a heavy wood stock. It rests quite nicely on a bench. I had intended to go prairie dogging in Montana but have yet to make it there.
I have a load for a 60 gr pill that travels just shy of 3000 fps and it groups about an inch, usually less at 300 yards.
I am currently building a 280 AI on a Savage 110 action. I'll be using a Shaw barrel and Boyds laminated stock.

How difficult/challenging is to (properly) mate a custom action to a barrel on a prs rig?
For Zermatt Origin :
1) Order Zermatt Origin here: Zermatt Origin Action - Zermatt Arms Website
2) Look up part # for Proof Research steel pre-fit barrel here: Zermatt Arms Pre-Fit . Order from whatever place has them in stock.
3) buy the action wrench from Zermatt: Action Wrench - Zermatt Arms Website
4) Buy barrel Viper Benchrest vice here: Viper Barrel Vise — Viper Bench Rest . Make sure you have a table you can drill holes to bolt the vice to. I drilled them in my regular work table but mount the vice only when I am installing/replacing barrels.
5) Get a torque wrench that can measure torque between 60 and 100. 1/2" driver is preferred. I suppose one can make do with a 3/8 driver but why chance it.

My longest available range is 300 yards, so I've been assembling a varmint gun in 223. It's a Tikka CTR with 20" barrel under a Razor HD Gen II. Now I need to spend more time actually learning to use it correctly.

One of the guys on here (@bigblue, IIRC) used to post range reports on the 1000 yard at Granby with his 223 hand loads, so I'm sure the cartridge is more capable than I am.

Yep. Seems so long ago. 90 grain SMK out of a 22” White Oak bbl on an AR. Ballistically much less efficient than modern cartridges but if you get the load right and you do your part, it will shoot cloverleafs at 200. Good hits at 1,000 on IPSC targets.

I’m in Florida now. There is a 2,000y range outside Tampa that I am hoping to work back up to. Need to grab a bolt gun to replace that White Oak, thinking Daniel Defense. exWife gets the White Oak…

For Zermatt Origin :
1) Order Zermatt Origin here: Zermatt Origin Action - Zermatt Arms Website
2) Look up part # for Proof Research steel pre-fit barrel here: Zermatt Arms Pre-Fit . Order from whatever place has them in stock.
3) buy the action wrench from Zermatt: Action Wrench - Zermatt Arms Website
4) Buy barrel Viper Benchrest vice here: Viper Barrel Vise — Viper Bench Rest . Make sure you have a table you can drill holes to bolt the vice to. I drilled them in my regular work table but mount the vice only when I am installing/replacing barrels.
5) Get a torque wrench that can measure torque between 60 and 100. 1/2" driver is preferred. I suppose one can make do with a 3/8 driver but why chance it.
so, i finally committed. :)
the custom build would be fun, but, for the worst or for the best, will see, but i decided to go with this one - in 6 dasher and triggertech diamond trigger - will see how it will work out for me.

ordered also sets of type S dies, bushings, extra tool heads for dillon, and now will need to find brass for it somewhere.

the custom build would be fun, but, for the worst or for the best, will see, but i decided to go with this one - in 6 dasher and triggertech diamond trigger - will see how it will work out for me.

ordered also sets of type S dies, bushings, extra tool heads for dillon, and now will need to find brass for it somewhere.
Congratulations! Masterpiece Arms are superb rifles!!

As to brass, look at Starline(6.5 Creedmoor Brass - Large Rifle - Brass Cases). What I like about Starline is that they constantly change the calibers of brass they produce. This way, the caliber you need is always a week or two away from being in stock. CM gets sold rather quickly but at 50cents/ea, it's worth checking daily to see if they're in stock. They also don't screw with you on shipping. The price includes shipping.

Alternatively, Creedmoor Sports, while not the cheapest, They carry different brands in stock(Hornady, ADG, Lapua, Nosler). They are also the only ones who will take backorders. In 2020, smack in the middle of the drought, I placed an order for 100 6.5CM of Hornady with them. Brass arrived 7 months later but I didn't have to keep checking on stock: Creedmoor Sports fulfills backorders first.

Great choice, I wish you well. I have a Triggertech Diamond in both my Terminus action and my Bergara rimfire, good stuff.

308 is more than capable out to 1000 yards. I thought this was common knowledge.
What do you know about it?

[rofl]

I too live in the real world. The only place around me that I can see 1k+ is across the lake. So my 556 SPR and Rem700 in 308 is more then adequate for jerking off over capping zombies in a shtfantasy.

Good choice! I’d recommend Peterson or Alpha Dasher brass as you don’t need to worry about fireforming the brass and dealing with false shoulders and jamming projectiles.

It’ll cost you up front but will save a couple firings on the brass, components, and aggravation.

Good choice! I’d recommend Peterson or Alpha Dasher brass as you don’t need to worry about fireforming the brass and dealing with false shoulders and jamming projectiles.

It’ll cost you up front but will save a couple firings on the brass, components, and aggravation.
i did a backorder for peterson at eurooptic, will see how long it will take, and will try to fireform from 6BR lapua i ordered.
it looks like a mid-season now all got sold out - in february i saw it all in stock always. looking for berger 105gr hybrid bullets now - also all out of stock.
i`m in no hurry as it will take a while to get it, of course, but, will see.

Last edited:
i did a backorder for peterson at eurooptic, will see how long it will take, and will try to fireform from 6BR lapua i ordered.
it looks like a mid-season now all got sold out - in february i saw it all in stock always. looking for berger 105gr hybrid bullets now - also all out of stock.
i`m in no hurry as it will take a while to get it, of course, but, will see.
I’d also look at the hornady 105hpbt match alot easier to find and half the price of what hybrids are selling for. If your only going to be shooting 300 yards you won’t find too much difference.

The Lapua brass will work fine but you’ll want to run a false shoulder and jam the bullets as to not stretch the brass down at the case web. Because the shoulder is longer on the dasher your bra brass needs to be held in place or your going to beat it up pretty bad.

I’d also look at the hornady 105hpbt match alot easier to find and half the price of what hybrids are selling for. If your only going to be shooting 300 yards you won’t find too much difference.

The Lapua brass will work fine but you’ll want to run a false shoulder and jam the bullets as to not stretch the brass down at the case web. Because the shoulder is longer on the dasher your bra brass needs to be held in place or your going to beat it up pretty bad.
yep, i ordered some from midsouth shooters - at 30cpr. did you try them? are they comparable to the 54cpr bergers?

I want to get access to the reading 600yds range eventually but cannot find anybody to sponsor me. :) i did not ask around a lot yet, frankly, but, it is still in longer term plans.

i ordered so far only 100 of lapua BRs - will see how process will go. i think i rather just wait and get petersons when they will eventually appear in stock.

Back
Top Bottom