• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Brass has to be sized and there is only one way, full length sizing so don’t ask about the other way. 😂

Virgin brass typically has a lot smaller dimension than optimal to guarantee fitment in a multitude of rifles. I have also found that neck tension to vary drastically even on premium brass.

Once it’s fireformed to a specific chamber you only want to size it down a few thousandths to guarantee proper fitment.

I typically see more consistency after the initial firing.
My Peterson brass barely expands. 2 thousands shoulder bump is back to new brass size.

But Peterson is said to be thicker, even their box comes with a note saying so.

I really like that brass.

Anyway, your comment makes sense, even when full sizing for a shoulder bump, some will still be a different dimension than factory new.

When I read fire forming I always think about my BPCR rifle, where I fire form the brass and never resize or trim it again.

Last edited:
My Peterson brass barely expands. 2 thousands shoulder bump is back to new brass size.

But Peterson is said to be thicker, even their box comes with a note saying so.

I really like that brass.

Anyway, your comment makes sense, even when full sizing for a shoulder bump, some will still be a different dimension than factory new.

When I read fire forming I always think about my BPCR rifle, where I fire form the brass and never resize it or trim it again.

This is good if brass is close to chamber dimensions. I’ve seen chambers .010” longer than virgin brass.

When I get a new lot of brass first thing I will do is check it in chamber. I will strip bolt of firing pin and ejector and then add scotch tape to base of brass until I get resistance. Each layer of scotch tape is approx .002”. If the brass is excessively short I will jam bullets with a light load on first firing. This helps limit brass growth at the web of the case. Stretch at the web is detrimental to the life of the brass.

I also take measurements on all new brass as well as note dimensions after firings as well as sizing to see how it’s being worked over time. Brass will grow in certain areas and shrink in others.

Some key dimensions I measure regularly:

Neck diameter
Neck thickness
Body/Shoulder Junction Diameter
Web diameter
Overall Length

With your Peterson brass, the importance of them noting it’s thicker is in that it will create more pressure at a lower charge weight, which needs to be taken into account when working up charges.

What did the target look like when you were done?

Idk i keep listening to it trying to determine the hits, i can see the steel moving a shots, i see splash on one miss, but you cant really tell from sound because the sound of the bolt and the powerlines. If i do my part the rifle hits with stupid consistency. I find myself shooting it too fast because its so easy.

There's been a LOT of good info here and I used it to make a decision on a long range platform that should fit the bill for whatever I decide to do. I placed an order with Masterpiece Arms and received that order last week. I've joined @Broc in the exclusive 6.5CM club. It was the right caliber for me as everyone knows how I hate to reload!!! [wink]

While waiting for the rifle to be completed I've been slowly buying gear to go along with it and I put it together over the weekend. Might have to take a day off this week to hit the range!!!

MA2.jpg MA 1.jpg

There's been a LOT of good info here and I used it to make a decision on a long range platform that should fit the bill for whatever I decide to do. I placed an order with Masterpiece Arms and received that order last week. I've joined @Broc in the exclusive 6.5CM club. It was the right caliber for me as everyone knows how I hate to reload!!! [wink]

While waiting for the rifle to be completed I've been slowly buying gear to go along with it and I put it together over the weekend. Might have to take a day off this week to hit the range!!!

View attachment 750655View attachment 750656
Welcome to the 6.5cm club.

Now you can stop talking to all the little people.

Nice come join us at Granby June 3rd.

I've got a picture somewhere on my computer of our crew from Maine that went over for Memorial Day. It's like 20 guys. NH and MA had about the same number. It was a big deal.
I remember the base commander that made us wear Kevlar helmets down in the pits with the old cantilever frames.
Terrible picture, but that was our group from maine that went over for the Memorial Day Matches at CEATS, back when it was a big thing. 2006 I believe.
Only 4 of us in that photo are still active Highpower rifle shooters.

B37B07B4-2454-41E1-B4D7-9E9831F2AB3E_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Great choice! I see 6.5 CM even at Walmart. Should be an awesome rifle.

i have same exact one in 6 dasher and with shorter cartridge there are some feeding issues there with the bolt/action design they have there.
i kinda half-ass got one mag working, but, it is generally a hand fed gun for me when i shoot it, i do not feed it from the mag.

What mags are you using? Dasher will feed just need to get the right mags and adjust the lips to present the cartridge correctly.

BR based cartridges are the most popular cartridges in PRS type competitions. If they didn’t feed that would not be the case.

i have 3 kinds, only 1 works - MDT with different guts, do not recall where i got them. it also had an issue with getting stuck or flipping follower while feeding. for a magazine that costs almost a $100 it was a bit of a downer, i got to say. accurate-mag did not work with any followers i tried to use so far, then i kinda got bored to fight it as i 3d printed the 1 round sled and just use it like that from now on.

just saw a new idea to print a sled with 5 holes for cartridges to sit in its base - will do that next.

the issue is that is has to be just the right bolt speed and movement, or it dips nose down and presses bullet tip into the barrel - that usually dislodges bullet from its seating position and ruins the cartridge. they have no good solution for that issue for 3 lug bolts. and it is extremely sensitive to the magazine position as well - if you press just a bit on a mag from below - same crap, feeding is broken. when they shipped the gun, btw, it did not feed from the mag at all, so, it took some time to experiment.

the BR original cases with bullets sat in them for fireforming - a bit in front so they press into the lands do not behave like that, btw. as i understood from forums, a lot of 6 dasher builds suffer from this issue, and there is no good solution.

ps. just took it out and ran some of the new alpha brass i loaded at 1.790 seating and it seemed to feed ok, i did not play with that gun for a long while now, need to take it out and retry. may be i actually solved it last year and just forgot about it. :) this rifle is just too easy to shoot, there is no real challenge. :)
Every action is different but the BR cartridges wouldn’t be the number one cartridge in PRS if people couldn’t get them to feed.

Everything isn’t plug and play, actions, chassis all have tolerances and mags usually need adjustments to run properly. Mag height as well as feed lip configuration both come into play.

It’s unfortunate your having issues since this is a factory rifle, one would expect them to tune it before sending it out the door.

I still haven’t gotten any of my metal mags to feed right. Granted I haven’t tried to tune them. My poly mags work fine though. I did get a feed lip tool in the mail just yesterday, so I’ll try bending them and see how it goes

i have same exact one in 6 dasher and with shorter cartridge there are some feeding issues there with the bolt/action design they have there.
i kinda half-ass got one mag working, but, it is generally a hand fed gun for me when i shoot it, i do not feed it from the mag.
Isn't 6 Dasher a bit of an orphan for mags? As in there are not factory mags specifically designed for it? Mag compatibility was one of the attractions for 6 ARC for me. It's a 6mm Grendel, and there are mags for that. LOL some 6.5 Grendel mags do suck- I have one that does, made in Israel.

Terrible picture, but that was our group from maine that went over for the Memorial Day Matches at CEATS, back when it was a big thing. 2006 I believe.
Only 4 of us in that photo are still active Highpower rifle shooters.

View attachment 751928
CMP started bringing in the electronic targets to CEATS, so no more working the pits for those matches. Must have been newer mechanisms when I did work pits at CEATS? Never had to wear a helmet. Unless you were pulling for someone who was a terrible shot, I thought the sand berm there made it very easy to spot hits and based on where it hit the berm you could guess where the shot hit the target, saving time looking for it when marking.

I have been totally spoiled by electronic targets. I had a great experience at Perry Nationals, but shooting only twice in a 12 hour brutally hot day isn't my favorite part of it. Typical weather at CEATS makes it much more enjoyable if you are going to be there all day.

Isn't 6 Dasher a bit of an orphan for mags? As in there are not factory mags specifically designed for it? Mag compatibility was one of the attractions for 6 ARC for me. It's a 6mm Grendel, and there are mags for that. LOL some 6.5 Grendel mags do suck- I have one that does, made in Israel.
For bolt guns, tuned AW mags and MDT br mags solved any feeding issues of the past. For gas guns, no idea.

it is not true, as this mag from the factory did not feed properly at all.
I stand corrected. Mags are shit per sample size of 1 mag out of thousands in 1 rifle out of thousands. carry on.

My longest range firearm is my AR-15 with a 24" barrel. I used to be able to hit out to 600 yards with it all the time. Eyesight and other stuff keeps me from being able to do that consistently any longer.

Back
Top Bottom