• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

no, i am talking about regular ipsc 42"x42" paper thing.
View attachment 754482
What I have done out to 400 yards and will try it on Monday out to 600 ...

Get a white paper as a backdrop and place a couple of those 18×24 (whatever the size) splatter targets in the middle.

The white paper makes it easier to see misses, the splatter helps when using the spotting scope.

I also recorded my shots through my spotting scope so I could see where I was hitting.

Wait, that's why? then why in the world is .375 / .408 Chey Tac and .416 Barret fine?

News to me the lower range goes out to 650. When did that change? Or did I have one of the.... we can call them townies... lie to me back in 2010 when I had my membership? In either case, having accessible lines out to 650 obviously renders my previous points moot.

the airgunner still trying to get an LTC for the club?
it really has to do with muzzle energy on target. 50bmg is an example however shootsteel.com has these ratings for the min yardage on their 3/4" ar-500 steel.
50BMG ball and brass solids – 300 yards

50BMG AP and API – NOT RATED

416 and 408 lead core – 300 yards

416 and 408 brass solids – 400 yards

The rest of their ratings are here. Our Targets

the lower line to 650 has been around for a while now. It closed briefly during the court case but opened up as soon as that got resolved.

In all honesty you won't find a better range with steel out to 1000 until you drive to Alderbrook in NH or Sheepdog in NY. I would even extend an offer to you to help coach you up on building dope and getting comfortable at distances beyond 300. They had a free course to do just that a few weeks ago and I think like 70 people came with 20+ coaches. Next month Rob Brantley from team manners / bushnell is hosting a 2 day there to work on PRS skills. Guy won king of the 2 mile and is an extremely skilled marksman.

Last edited:
to put all that rather silly qualification quarrel aside - how do the people shooting at granbys 1000yds deal with targets?
would everyone bring their own electric tracking system to be able to see the impacts, or people literally just shoot then drive down to targets to see the results, then drive back? it is probably not very crowded there, i would think, but, still, can be a pita, as i bet you cannot see much from a 1000, of where the impacts were.

or does club have any embedded targeting system there to rent or use? i would guess not?

i have an idea of what to try next time i get to a range - as i have several mavic drones, i think a mavic mini drone if placed on the ground nearby the target - it is unlikely it will get hit, but it should be capable to transmit the video of the target well enough, gotta try it. the bigger one, a zoom version would be even better, but i think even the small one should suffice - to see the bullet holes. when it just sits on the ground and not running motors its battery lasts quite a long time.
people have used drones but typically its closed off for placing targets down range as far as I know. Its a rough ride on a 4 wheeler out there now and you could close down the range for an hour just to set up and tear down a target between getting out there and back. Eventually I think there may be some camera provisions but who knows where that is at.

remington .338 ultra mag with a weaver scope.
its good for shooting elk, when they are on the mountain on the other side of the valley

i gonna test my drone idea at 300 i have access to first. i think it may work very well.
there is even a way to get sound working with a setup i have, need to try it, i did not touch that stuff since before covid.
I’ve actually done that. Flew a DJI Mavic 2 to above the target. Recorded my shots.

it really has to do with muzzle energy on target. 50bmg is an example however shootsteel.com has these ratings for the min yardage on their 3/4" ar-500 steel.
50BMG ball and brass solids – 300 yards

50BMG AP and API – NOT RATED

416 and 408 lead core – 300 yards

416 and 408 brass solids – 400 yards

The rest of their ratings are here. Our Targets

the lower line to 650 has been around for a while now. It closed briefly during the court case but opened up as soon as that got resolved.

In all honesty you won't find a better range with steel out to 1000 until you drive to Alderbrook in NH or Sheepdog in NY. I would even extend an offer to you to help coach you up on building dope and getting comfortable at distances beyond 300. They had a free course to do just that a few weeks ago and I think like 70 people came with 20+ coaches. Next month Rob Brantley from team manners / bushnell is hosting a 2 day there to work on PRS skills. Guy won king of the 2 mile and is an extremely skilled marksman.

I've only shot factory loads. My understanding was .375, .408, and .416 all have more energy downrange than .338 and .50, as they lose less speed when comparing similar loads.

Appreciate the offer but will have to decline. Still have bad taste in mouth from back then, although to be fair same things I dealt with with CSC and SHSC.

Last edited:
There's been a LOT of good info here and I used it to make a decision on a long range platform that should fit the bill for whatever I decide to do. I placed an order with Masterpiece Arms and received that order last week. I've joined @Broc in the exclusive 6.5CM club. It was the right caliber for me as everyone knows how I hate to reload!!! [wink]

While waiting for the rifle to be completed I've been slowly buying gear to go along with it and I put it together over the weekend. Might have to take a day off this week to hit the range!!!

View attachment 750655View attachment 750656

How much does that rifle weigh as shown and do you know what contour / length that barrel is ? What magazine is that?

I’ve actually done that. Flew a DJI Mavic 2 to above the target. Recorded my shots.

View: https://youtu.be/PKKkbDMYbig

Took a friend to my sneaky spot. 650 yards to steel. Flew the DJI in there to shot spot. Kept the elevation pretty high. This was when the Mavic was new and I treated it like I didn't want to get it dirty.

Nice!

How long does the battery last?
How does it handle on a windy day?
Mavic 2, 20-25 minutes. Realistic flight time. DJI claims a 10km range. Handles wind pretty well. I probably should have kept that thing, I just didn’t fly it very often.

At Granby.

Beautiful day, NO WIND!

Lower range, furthest target H8 = 550 yards, not 650. It is hard to see, but that is what my range finder says and my scope adjustment agrees with it.

Never had a day this calm, zero wind correction is a beautiful thing.

#SnipersGonnaSnipe
#6.5cmLife
#WifeOutOfTownBachelorWeekend
#no40

Also, the Hornady calculator is amazing. At least for my rifle, it is spot on. I didn't have to mess with the numbers to get it to match.

Screenshot_20230527_093918_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
At Granby.

Beautiful day, NO WIND!

Lower range, furthest target H8 = 550 yards, not 650. It is hard to see, but that is what my range finder says and my scope adjustment agrees with it.

#SnipersGonnaSnipe
#6.5cmLife
#no40

Also, the Hornady calculator is amazing. At least for my rifle, it is spot on. I didn't have to mess with the numbers to get it to match.

View attachment 756792

MOA??? I thought you were an operator?

At Granby.

Beautiful day, NO WIND!

#SnipersGonnaSnipe
#6.5cmLife
#no40

View attachment 756792
Will be there this afternoon as well! Hope the wind picks up though.

For those complaining you need a scope, speaking with the guys here, if you know your sh*t you can qualify with irons. Show up to a board meeting, speak with people and you will be fine.

They just want to make sure people are not morons.

Just now some kids form Belarus showed up, nice kids, with a nice Tikka in 6.5cm and a Vortex PST. They wanted to shoot at the steel targets, they were talked out of it. The kids can barely hit a splatter target at 300, the rifle wasn't sighted in. Didn't bother to start at 100.

I use Shooter ballistic calculator, it lets you add custom rounds by rifle, it connects to weather stations, my kestrel, and plots solutions in increments which is helpful for me since I shoot targets at various distances.

IMG_8134.jpeg
IMG_8135.jpeg
IMG_8136.jpeg

At Granby.

Beautiful day, NO WIND!

#SnipersGonnaSnipe
#6.5cmLife
#no40

View attachment 756792
Im jealous, hopefully some other time.

I need to start working on those distances with my AR10 this summer too

Anybody use a Lab Radar to shoot long distance?

Thoughts, feedback? Vs the Magnetospeed that attaches to the bbl?

I had one, worked great at first but had trouble picking up shots, got frustrated with it. I thought maybe the club’s no blue sky structure caused it but it could be just me not getting it set up exactly right every time out.
I sold it got a magnetospeed and an arca attachment so it doesn’t effect load development. Simple and works great
Don’t get the sporter model

My buddy’s have a few and they work good. I used the Magneto for the last cpl years myself before switching to the Andiscan.

All are accurate my biggest gripe with the MS is it shifted POI. It was very consistent but would shift groups a couple tenths. This is only at 100 yards. You start adding all the do-dads to mount of the barrel and now you’re spending Labradar money.

The Labradar is big and clunky and a pain to lug around. Some have issues with aiming it. You start adding the external battery pack, stands, triggers, your at Andiscan money.

I’ve only been using the Andiscan for a month or so but very happy thus far. Different cartridges seem to prefer different mounting locations. My BRA likes it out at the end of for-end, while the 7 saum likes it just in front of magwell.

I ran both Andiscan and MS side by side for a few trips both were within a 1-2fps.
IMG_5296.jpeg 70285643002__C3D1ACD3-1701-469F-8B41-623B070AB169.jpeg

All are accurate my biggest gripe with the MS is it shifted POI. It was very consistent but would shift groups a couple tenths. This is only at 100 yards. You start adding all the do-dads to mount of the barrel and now you’re spending Labradar money.
I need to figure out the cost of the MagnetoSpeed when having to fire twice as many rounds for grouping/getting velocity when doing load development. It’s not insignificant. I feel like switching to Labradar is in my future.

Back
Top Bottom