What kind of fanboy are you?

1911: Colt
AR: Windham Weaponry
Revolver: S&W
Plastic Fantastic: Glock
Rimfire: S&W 15-22, M&P22
Shotgun: Benelli & Browning

I drink Glock kool-aide... It's just simple and I can focus on what is important. Shooting. Quite honestly, if you can't pick up a stock Glock (or other standard polymer striker fired pistol) and put together a 50 yard group, you probably shouldn't be spending any more money on pistols.

I'm sure at this point in my shooting life, I could get some performance gains by making some changes, but #shrug

Oh come on. The bar is 50 yard groups? Unless someone is practicing for bullseye, how many people even attempt to shoot pistol groups at 50 yds? Probably near zero.

Just a random thought....How would you compare shooting a pistol @ 50 to shooting a rifle standing unsupported ? Same as maybe 200 ? 300?
Depends on the shooter, but for me, I score a bit better with the rifle at 200 than I do with the pistol at 50 (one-handed). With the pistol, I probably average 88-90: rifle slightly higher.

My point was that a pistol is very difficult to shoot accurately.

I own and like all kinds of guns but I like old guns the best. It's amazing to me that something mechanical can function correctly for 100 years and some of mine are older than that

Since the thread is already derailed, I'll just say this. Everyone wants to carry a pistol and fantasize about plugging some active shooter, and then thinks they get to control the distance of a potential engagement. I'll tell you my theory on pistols. You should be deadly at 50, dangerous at 100, and mildly annoying at 200. Hows that for nuts?

Since the thread is already derailed, I'll just say this. Everyone wants to carry a pistol and fantasize about plugging some active shooter, and then thinks they get to control the distance of a potential engagement. I'll tell you my theory on pistols. You should be deadly at 50, dangerous at 100, and mildly annoying at 200. Hows that for nuts?
I have some practicing to do then!

At a minimum be able to hit a E type silhouette at 50 yards. Those thing are monster large. haha I love stretching the legs on .44 or things like my 1911. That being said in the vast majority of situations if I were to find myself in a situation where I'm trying to engage somebody at 50 yards with a handgun, I'm almost certainly in a position I can just not be where I'm at any more.

200yds with a short barrel..9mm? I would be annoyed at wasting the ammo.

200yds with a short barrel..9mm? I would be annoyed at wasting the ammo.
At 200 yards you need not be at whatever location you are at anymore. Unless you plan on being mistaken as the aggressor. I don't even take handguns anywhere near that far. 50 is max for me, I think we've done 100 on steel for hahas with a desert eagle. Otherwise I'm good.

Information that supports my not taking handguns above 50...

9mm Ballistics Chart & Coefficient (Luger) GunData.org

9mm-ballistics-chart.png

1911: Colt
AR: Windham Weaponry
Revolver: S&W
Plastic Fantastic: Glock
Rimfire: S&W 15-22, M&P22
Shotgun: Benelli & Browning
What kind of S&W revolvers? As posted initially, I got a 327 PC and I love the thing. It shoots great, and is smooth as hell. Though I am cautious with round count given the materials. (though I haven't seen any cases stating any long term issues yet)

What kind of S&W revolvers? As posted initially, I got a 327 PC and I love the thing. It shoots great, and is smooth as hell. Though I am cautious with round count given the materials. (though I haven't seen any cases stating any long term issues yet)

I only have 18-3,686-3, & 617 (new)
My F.I.L. had a few pre-locks that I got to play with before he moved south [sad]

Just a random thought....How would you compare shooting a pistol @ 50 to shooting a rifle standing unsupported ? Same as maybe 200 ? 300?

Depends on the shooter, but for me, I score a bit better with the rifle at 200 than I do with the pistol at 50 (one-handed). With the pistol, I probably average 88-90: rifle slightly higher.

My point was that a pistol is very difficult to shoot accurately.

LOL, pistol at 50 for sure better than offhand rifle at 200. I can just about 'clean' a B-8 pistol target at 25 yards and still get good groups at 50. On a good day I'll shoot a 90 or 92 in 200 yard offhand rifle, on a bad day I'll have a reason not to post my score in this thread, LOL.

This x1000

Glock. Because they have proven themselves to me over probably hundreds of thousands of rounds. And i own rugers, HK, sig, s&w

i love the new 2.0 series form s&w and the hk vp9 but for my hands, a gock is just magic and i can do more with it with less effort.

Beat to Hell working guns. That's what I love, whether I beat them up myself or bought them already "characterized" I like guns that I don't care if I scratch, ding, dent, rust or wreck (not to mention dodge, dip, dive, duck and dodge).

Guns I NEVER bring out of the safe - my first repeating shotgun, a '65 Remington Wingmaster - good bluing, great wood, nice gun, but I don't like it, because it's too pretty. I'd sell it, but I feel I should be sentimentally attached.

New guns I have tend to be Rugers - because after I beat them up, they still work. They may look like crap, even new (except for the Single Action Revolvers) but they are all built like tanks and I only broke one, a Single Six - I had it repaired in '88 and it's been running fine since. I think the cost and reliability make them the reason they are the majority of my safe.

Other guns I have all tend to fanboy over are either 50+ year old JM Browning designed shotguns, that served past owners well and continue to serve me well (my Sweet Sixteen is worn white, and I don't have any qualms about hunting in the rain with this gun, it is NOT in collector condition but works perfect) or single shots (I've rarely hit on the second shot after a miss, and never on shot 3, 4 or 5 - so I may as well just enjoy an old Iver Johnson for $50 and toss it in my trunk in case I get a chance to hit the woods, something happens, oh well).

I like hunting shotguns. I don't consider myself a Fudd, but I am a bird hunter and field shotguns interest me more than anything else for whatever reason
I own quite an "array" of different fire arms. Like you......the ones I love the most are my hunting guns. They get the most use of anything in my safe and each one has so many stories of time spent in the field. My most cherished of them all is my beat to hell Mossberg 500. It was my first long gun and I've harvested everything you can legally hunt with a shotgun with that one gun. It is beat to hell......but works perfectly still and has never let me down. I a few "higher end" guns for hunting.......but I find myself taking that old Mossberg to the woods more than any of them and find myself more successful when I have it particularly when I'm out for rabbit and snowshoe hare......because I go in the thick shit where that game is found and I'm not worried about denting or scratching the furniture!

Glock, always.

Ive been on a Knights Armament kick lately, my SR15 mods2 took a whooping yesterday in a ridgeline SPR class and ate it up, great guns.

I carry a G43 most of the time. With it I'm deadly at 25 yards, dangerous at 50 yards, annoying at 100 yards - and if you're 200 yards away? - I'm leaving. Seriously.

My role in life isn't to kill other people. It's to protect myself and my loved ones. If you're 200 yards away and shooting at me - I need to get to my truck and get my rifle or get to my truck and LEAVE. My Glock 43 isn't going to cut it.

I carry a G43 most of the time. With it I'm deadly at 25 yards, dangerous at 50 yards, annoying at 100 yards - and if you're 200 yards away? - I'm leaving. Seriously.

My role in life isn't to kill other people. It's to protect myself and my loved ones. If you're 200 yards away and shooting at me - I need to get to my truck and get my rifle or get to my truck and LEAVE. My Glock 43 isn't going to cut it.
Couldn't agree more. haha Though I was at the range this morning with a buddy who whipped out a Glock 29. While fun to shoot and fits my hands fine still. Holy hell was that thing a chubby bastard. It did bring a smile to my face though so what can I say.

Ha - with the use of the internet, I'm annoying at ICBM range!

I've rolled my eyes over threads on NES when a new gun owner is discussing how much 9mm ammo to stockpile for a WROL situation. Yeah......guy owns one 9mm handgun and considers himself a "prepper". Dude.......what the hell are you going to do with a handgun and 10,000 rounds of 9mm? Take the $ your spending on stockpiles of 9mm and buy a damn rifle. My usual response to such nonsense is:

a handgun keeps a**h***s off your person
a shotgun keeps a**h***s out of your home
a rifle keeps a**h***s off your property

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom