• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What qualities supposedly make premium ammo more accurate (and so more expensive)?

Pardon in advance if this has been asked before. I did a search and didn't find anything useful, so here goes

You pay a price for so-called premium or match-grade ammo, mainly because it's supposed to be more accurate. I'm curious what exactly contributes to increased accuracy.

Is it

• More precise amount of propellant?
  • More even quality in the propellant?
  • More purity in the propellant?
  • Better balance to the ball (somehow)?
  • More consistency in ball weight?
  • More consistent seating of ball in casing?
  • Something else about the casing?
  • Better (more consistent) primer discharge?
  • All of the above?
  • Something else entirely?

I'm not a reloader (yet) so don't jump on me if this is a noob question.

Last edited:
All that's really happening when you're getting better accuracy out of $1/ round ammo is: You're aware of the cost of each round and are therefore taking much more time and concentration with each shot. [wink]

Just kidding. I have no freakin' clue outside of higher quality of components and tighter manufacturing tolerances.

Precision, and from that, accuracy, comes from consistency.

I'm not a big metallic reloader, but: Premiun bullets are manufactured to tighter tolerances ; a precision reloader will weigh each one; Case volumes will be matched; powder charges will be individually weighed; I've seen "case-neck concentricity gagues" to make sure that the bullet is properly lined up with the bore.....the list goes on.

As for factory "precision" ammo - most likely some of the above ( and other stuff listed) is true. As is the price-per-shot" comment.
[laugh]
Much of shooting is mental - if you have confidence in your equipment and your abilities, you'll do better....

Some of it is also different bullet design. For example, most 5.56 rounds use 55 or 62 gr ammunition. Federal Gold Match uses a 69gr hollow point boattail. Service rifle shooters will typically use 75gr or heavier bullets for 600 yard stages. Some of these loads have a larger overall length than will feed from a magazine, so they have to be single loaded through the ejection port.

Basically it's the consistency of the powder, brass, bullet and sizing/seating.

Know that you can reload ammo specifically for your rifle that will shoot better than what you can buy.

The high quality ammo such as Black Hills 77gr in .223 is excellent ammo and will show immediate improvement over something like Federal XM193.

Although I think "match grade" ammo standards might differ from manufacture to manufacture. I will say this.
If you own a cronograph you will see a big difference in velocity both listed and consistancy.
EX: I crony'd some fed xm193 5.56 and it was all over the place from 2800fps-3100fps. I did the same with black hills "match ammo" it was at least with 60fps from shot to shot.
So much goes into what makes ammo better.... For extream accuracy the ammo needs to be loaded to specific features of intended rifle/handgun ect ect.
I got into reloading so I wouldnt have to pay 1+ a shot for my needs. Also my skill set and rifles dont match up with the BEST ammo out there.

I'd say better quality control on both components and methods of manufacture. As others stated, these both lead to more consistency from round to round.

If only there were bulk .22 with decent (doesn't have to be "ultimate") quality instead of the 555 box with wobbly bullets!

Back
Top Bottom