• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What round are these bullets used in?

jpm

I bought a small pile of reloading supplies from an estate of an in-law's relative. Among other things was this box of bullets. There seems to be 3 different types in here as you can see, but they're all about 152-154gr give or take a grain and the diameter is .287"

I don't think he had any bizarro calibers, I found a bunch of 7.5x55 Norma brass and some 7.65 Argentine in there but nothing this size. Anyone have any ideas??

IMG_20200809_172958.jpg IMG_20200809_172936.jpg

7mm is a common caliber; usually .284" diameter.. These may be slightly over-sized as not every bullet mfr. is exact..
Are you measuring these with a micrometer or calipers. My guess still remains in the 7mm camp.
7×64mm Brenneke uses a 7.25mm bullet, which equates to .2854"
Surely, you can find someone that reloads 7mm Mauser (7x57mm), 7mm-08 or some other. Swap them for .308" projectiles for your Swiss.

Last edited:
7mm is a common caliber; usually .284" diameter.. These may be slightly over-sized as not every bullet mfr. is exact..
Are you measuring these with a micrometer or calipers. My guess still remains in the 7mm camp.
Surely, you can find someone that reloads 7mm Mauser (7x57mm), 7mm-08 or some other. Swap them for .308" projectiles for your Swiss.
I had a box of bullets that looked just like these. They were marked pulled 7mm. My guess from the other stuff this old timer did he was pulling the bullets and reloading the ammo with soft points for hunting. He did it in almost every cartridge he loaded. Most of which were for milsurps

That's it. The .284 Win. has been obsolete for quite a while now. Jack.

Better yet, pick up a 7mm Mauser, FN 49 or other 7mm and load em up and enjoy!
The 6.5x55mm Swedish is perfectly fine, so the 7mm Mauser should be a half mm better, yes?

.284 Winchester, yes, I think many form this to reload for the 7.5 Swiss. Seems like 7.5x55mm brass is in adequate supply these days.
Years back, a friend was so taken by my K31, that he went out and purchased one. When he ordered brass, he was actually sent .284 Winchester brass. Go figure.

Last edited:
Can you find out what rifles are/ were in the estate? I think that there is a .284 cal. something or other. Jack.

They are long gone, all his friends got first picks on everything. :-(

These are definitely not .284 though, they are .287. I measured them with a micrometer and compared the results to known caliber bullets ( some .264 I just got) so I'm sure the measurement is correct. Measured several bullets and the same ones more than once.

Is that rather uncommon? I don't think I've ever heard of it.
I think its somewhat uncommon but My friends grandfather had a SxS rifle in 275 H&H and it comes to mind as we reloaded as few to give the old man( friends dad) some light loads to shoot for fun. Really nice rifle. His grandfather was a big game hunter and took trips to Africa often in his early to mid years he passed away in 2002 at 99 years old about 6 years ago my friends dad aproached me and asked to load up a few rounds on the light side to shoot it before getting it cleaned up and preped for long term storage.
something like this

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9v9vFEn8Qg

Well, it looks like the .275 H&H is the answer.
Personally, I'd run them through a sizer and load them in a more common 7mm caliber and enjoy them.

That works on jacketed?

Certainly. You won't be swaging a .323" down to .284", but if just a few thousandths, it will go quite easily without distorting the bullet significantly. I lube the .277" diameter bullets with a little petroleum jelly and run them through a .243 Winchester FL sizer die (sans decap stem obviously) and end up with Carcano bullets at .2685" diameter.
Unless you can find someone willing to pay top dollar for the .287" bullets, I'd give it a go and replenish your 7mm bullet supply. There must be a few shooting 7mm Mauser, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem. Magnum etc...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom