• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What round/gun to shoot through a windshield?

You have to hold a gun sideways to penetrate the safety glass. Or shoot the engine block with a .44mag and drag the misunderstood individual from the vehicle to administer any help you see fit.

This.

IIRC, the FBI switched to .40, when they did so, in part because of performance through car windows and doors. Narrow like the 9mm but with the energy of the .45 to punch right through.
No, they switched to 10mm for that problem after the Miami shootout, then switched to the .40 Short & Wimpy because most agents couldn't handle the 10.

In all fairness, have you ever tried fast follow-up shots with a full-power 10mm?

A full-power 10mm isn't like a .44 magnum or .454 Casull. lol It's actually softer shooting and more controllable than one would think - even out of a G29.

My old boss pierced "bulletproof" glass in the 80's when he was a police sgt. They were doing some demonstration with it. He whipped out his 44mag and it went thru. I remember him saying his .357 mag did pretty good damage, but didn't get thru. Neither did a .38 or a .45
I think that's all they carried then. This is back in the the days before 9mm glocks.

"Do you feel lucky, punk?"

Several years ago, there was a GT member that was involved in a car shooting. He was the driver. He carried some sort of ballistic-tipped super-expander bullets. They were highly UNeffective because they dumped their energy TOO fast into the hard target. Might have been PowRBall. Or that goo-filled Federal one. It was something I had in my safe at the time.

Dirty Harry 'seen a .357 glance off a windshield. So don't get that.

EDIT - Dammit. I didn't see there was a second page. Now I look like Judy Come Lately. LOL

The answer is any pistol caliber .32 and up will go through every time and be lethal. The round will deflect slightly downwards when hitting an angled windshield. Aim 2-6 inches higher than normal.

Depends on the load in use, etc. It's worth researching because some combinations have been known to just glance off auto glass under the wrong circumstances, and some properly designed bullets and loadings will bore right through auto glass with no trajectory deviation or barely any.

The topic is way too complicated for someone to say "oh yeah 40 is good to go" (or similar).

-Mike

My old boss pierced "bulletproof" glass in the 80's when he was a police sgt. They were doing some demonstration with it. He whipped out his 44mag and it went thru. I remember him saying his .357 mag did pretty good damage, but didn't get thru. Neither did a .38 or a .45
I think that's all they carried then. This is back in the the days before 9mm glocks.

Harry Callahan did it with his S&W Mod. 29, .44 magnum. :cool:

David Hogg would prefer you to hug the windshield. LOVE is the only thing that stops hate you guys. Dafuq is wrong with all yall gun nuts?

Yes, right after he's done telling us to "go f*** ourselves", lmao.

-Mike

Depends on the load in use, etc. It's worth researching because some combinations have been known to just glance off auto glass under the wrong circumstances, and some properly designed bullets and loadings will bore right through auto glass with no trajectory deviation or barely any.

The topic is way too complicated for someone to say "oh yeah 40 is good to go" (or similar).

-Mike

I should have specified ball ammo. I don't carry carry or shoot anything pistol caliber other than standard jacketed ball. Windshields are not the only thing you might have to shoot thru.

A client of mine was showing me his only handgun once - a big-ass Beretta 380. "I load it one round of HP, one round of ball. . . . in case I have to shoot through a door or something."

If Plan A is having ammo to be sure to penetrate barriers, you might want to work on a good Plan B and consider saving for your attorney now. LOL

Confused why you would think not needing to shoot through barriers is the correct plan? Also the multiple ammo reasoning is pretty funny. Just load all ball and practice shooting more.

Back
Top Bottom