• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What size Allen key for S&W Bodyguard .38 Special laser sight?

I misplaced the allen keys that came with it, and can't adjust its laser sight. [banghead]
0.050 is too big.
0.69mm is too small.
Does anybody know what size Allen key fits its laser sight adjustment screws?
Thanks!

I hate that screw! After a day at the range it backed out and locked up the slide. the screw got mangled and I ended up having to file it down and turn it into a flat head screw.

I misplaced the whole box.
I'll have to order new 0.035 keys from Amazon.
Thanks!

Email S&W or the company who makes the laser. I got 2 keys from the laser maker (I can't remember their name at the moment) for free and quickly with an email. They're located in NH so mail was quick.

I know the thread is old but I ran across it trying to figure out how to remove my Insight branded laser from my BodyGuard 38 special (revolver) to replace the batteries. One post mentioned the screw coming out that jammed the slide and that post must have been about the 380 semi, not the 38 special revolver, since the 380 mounts the laser under the slide. I bought the Bodyguard 38 special many years ago, lost the manual and hex keys and I had a heck of a time figuring out how to change batteries in that Insight-brand laser. On mine, the hex key (aka allen wrench) size needed to remove the one screw to access the batteries is .050". The key needed for adjustments is .035". After removing the one .050 screw, the Insight laser pops off - but note the batteries and contact plate may drop out of it. It's a bit tricky to reassemble but not too bad if you align the battery contact plate, and perhaps hold the gun over your head as you push the laser assembly back up into place so that the batteries and contact plate don't fall back out, then tighten the screw. LOL. No wonder they later changed the design to use a Crimson Trace laser, perhaps that one is a better design.

In other forums some users also described having trouble adjusting the laser target position. I found it rather simple (assuming the screws or screwheads are not stripped from trying the wrong sized wrenches). ... Since my metal sights are accurate all I had to do was aim the gun and adjust the top .035 screw for up and down, and the side .035 screw for left/right until the laser dot was aligned with the same spot targeted by the metal sight (eg with a mark on a wall) - at whatever distance you prefer.

If anyone sees a link to the manual, please post as I could not find it anyplace on S&W web site. Thanks

Thank you greencobra - that's the manual I needed! Well, the manual shows the newer laser version made by Crimson Trace, and mine is labelled "Insight". Reading about the laser I see it's nearly identical, including the fun part about how the contact plate and batteries drop out when you remove the screw and laser assembly. However, for anyone reading this, it appears the newer Crimson Trace laser may use wrench sizes other than what I stated above about the Insight version.

I purchased a Bodyguard 380 a few years ago. I lost the Crimson Trace Laser set screw that adjusts the laser while at the range.

I contacted Smith Wesson support and was told to contact Crimson Trace. I contacted Crimson Trace and they sent me back to Smith Wesson. talk about passing the buck.

Does anyone know the size and thread pitch for the lase set screw? I will buy a dozen if I have to. Cant get anyone to respond at SW or CT.

Thanks
Paul
[email protected]

You're in NH, so just go to the friggin hdwe store and get one that friggin fits. Done. Jack.
Have you been to a hardware store lately? If you have one that has allen keys outside the sizes in the flip open sets they sell god bless you and that hardware store. I have ONE hardware store left thats my go to but each passing year the “hardware” sections dwindle: just a few years ago the actual nut and bolt selection was out standing now your lucky if they have the standards and this was before all this covid shit.

I purchased a Bodyguard 380 a few years ago. I lost the Crimson Trace Laser set screw that adjusts the laser while at the range.

I contacted Smith Wesson support and was told to contact Crimson Trace. I contacted Crimson Trace and they sent me back to Smith Wesson. talk about passing the buck.

Does anyone know the size and thread pitch for the lase set screw? I will buy a dozen if I have to. Cant get anyone to respond at SW or CT.

Thanks
Paul
[email protected]

Likely a #2 (odd sizes are uncommon outside the steam engine modeling community)

Back
Top Bottom