• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What stage of a LTC renewal "activates" the grace period?

As I understand things, if you submit your renewal before your LTC expires, you are covered by an indefinite grace period until the renewed license is either issued or you're denied.

But what stage of the process invokes this? In Arlington the procedure is:
1) You fill out the application and hand it in.
2) You wait a week and then call the APD to schedule an interview. At least the last time I renewed, the interview was scheduled for around 6 weeks after I called. (They only do interviews 2 days a week.)
3) You do the interview. It is at this point Arlington has you hand in the $100 check.
4) Eventually the license shows up (or you find out you're denied).

Do you need to do (1) before the existing LTC expires? Do you need to get to (3) before expiration to be given the grace period since it's only in (3) that you fork over the money?

(I'm annoyed that my better half has waited long enough that I have to ask this, but oh well.)

When the Licensing Officer hands you a receipt for you application that you signed and dated.

If Arlington wants to play games with many different appointments and not collecting money until the end I don't know what to tell you. Politely and firmly ask for a receipt when they take your application.

When the LO enters your in for into the computer it can generate a receipt. If they wait on that you have no proof of the days that have elapsed, and could run afoul of the grace period. It has happened.

https://www.mass.gov/media/1826/download

Best of luck. Matt

Last edited:
When the Licensing Officer hands you a receipt for you application that you signed and dated.

If Arlington wants to play games with many different appointments and not collecting money until the end I don't know what to tell you. Politely and firmly ask for a receipt when they take your application.

When the LO enters your in for into the computer it can generate a receipt. If they wait on that you have no proof of the days that have elapsed, and could run afoul of the grace period. It has happened.

https://www.mass.gov/media/1826/download

Best of luck. Matt
Good response!

That MIRCS receipt, which is only generated once the PD inputs your application into the state (MIRCS) system is the ONLY way that you get the indefinite grace period . . . and only if they give you that receipt (you must carry it with you after expiration). Some towns don't give out those receipts, others make you wait months before they give it to you. Ask me how I know this!

Back
Top Bottom