What states in the Northeast require a Pre-Ban lower to start a build?

I am new to this forum and have several black rifles. Living in Washington state we still have some freedoms left but the noose is tightening on us also.
I have a general question regarding which states require a proven pre-ban (manufactured prior to 1994) lower in order to possess or build an AR-15?
The reason I am asking is recently I picked up a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S, with a serial number in the L0472xx range and from what I have read that is 3000 serial numbers prior to the accepted ban serial number of 50000.
Not being familiar with the laws in other states are there locations where this lower would be more important?
I can provide pictures of the lower if that would help with the verification of it’s age. I still can build an AR using any lower so the pre-ban lower isn’t a requirement here…..yet.
Thanks in advance fo any information that the members here can provide.
Willie Lee

What Whatluck said.

If you're talking MA:
- if you go pre-94 date you can have all the features (bayonet lug, collapsible stock, flash hider, etc.)
- if you go post-94 date you'd want to pin/solder the compensator (or have an unthreaded barrel with a target crown) and a fixed stock, etc.

For NH, there's no AWB or regulations on ARs (don't forget the obv. federal stuff like 16+ in barrel, etc.).

I don't know about the other New England states. I believe CT had a date of some kind you needed to "register" but I'm sure others will have more info.

Maine I believe is laissez-faire as well.

RI recently passed some gun laws that I am not up to speed on.

In CT pre-ban lowers/ARs can still be bought/sold by peons.

Post-ban can't unless you're special. Anyone who had one in the state was supposed to declare it post Sandy Hook and before a specific point in time. If declared can legally posess it; (same deal for "high cap" mags). Can't sell it to another CT peon. Can transfer out of state, might be able to sell to an in-state FFL - not sure about this.

If Washington state passes a new rifle ban they will use the date the law was passed, not 1994. To do otherwise opens them up to 5th amendment challenges from people who own rifles made after 1994, which is a lot of people in WA.

OP, sell your lower to someone in MA or CT for a thousand bucks plus, then go buy a new Aero lower for a hundred bucks. The pre-ban status will never matter to you unless you move to MA or CT.

If Washington state passes a new rifle ban they will use the date the law was passed, not 1994. To do otherwise opens them up to 5th amendment challenges from people who own rifles made after 1994, which is a lot of people in WA.

OP, sell your lower to someone in MA or CT for a thousand bucks plus, then go buy a new Aero lower for a hundred bucks. The pre-ban status will never matter to you unless you move to MA or CT.
1000 bucks for a post 94 lower?? I don’t know if there’s that many dumb people here in MA 😂

In CT pre-ban lowers/ARs can still be bought/sold by peons.

Post-ban can't unless you're special. Anyone who had one in the state was supposed to declare it post Sandy Hook and before a specific point in time. If declared can legally posess it; (same deal for "high cap" mags). Can't sell it to another CT peon. Can transfer out of state, might be able to sell to an in-state FFL - not sure about this.

CT other and rimfire builds are still possible with new lowers. Not sure if fixed mag is an option too. Regardless, sales of new lowers isn’t banned, but you can’t build it up like the rest of the US.

OP - While those lowers aren’t needed in any NE state, they are more valuable in CT and MA since it opens up more options (especially in CT).

CT other and rimfire builds are still possible with new lowers. Not sure if fixed mag is an option too. Regardless, sales of new lowers isn’t banned, but you can’t build it up like the rest of the US.

rimfire huh? That's interesting. I know about "other", but rimfire? I had a .22 upper, (traded it to a friend for his kid to use); it mounted to my "multi-caliber" lower. Which now has a 5.56 upper on it.

rimfire huh? That's interesting. I know about "other", but rimfire? I had a .22 upper, (traded it to a friend for his kid to use); it mounted to my "multi-caliber" lower. Which now has a 5.56 upper on it.

I’m not well versed in all of this, but from what I recall originally CT made an oops and fully omitted rimfire from all restrictions, and then corrected it to follow the old AWB language.

See #14 here:

Back
Top Bottom