• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What the H*** is happening at the CMP?

Saw an alert on one of the Garand sites in Faceplant that the CMP is going to make a big announcement this week. Have to imagine this is just the start of that announcement. Big changes coming.

CEO roomers?? Double or California King? ;)

Is there anything AT CMP to do after you get your Garand? This isn't like the old days when they have reasonably priced M1Carbeanz and 19'oh'whatevers up the wazoo. The last thing I did with CMP was order some .22's right during the ammo disaster time. I think very early on. But it was still 2 years. By the time I could get my 2 cases or whatever, I didn't need them anymore. LOL

CEO roomers?? Double or California King? ;)

Is there anything AT CMP to do after you get your Garand? This isn't like the old days when they have reasonably priced M1Carbeanz and 19'oh'whatevers up the wazoo. The last thing I did with CMP was order some .22's right during the ammo disaster time. I think very early on. But it was still 2 years. By the time I could get my 2 cases or whatever, I didn't need them anymore. LOL

Gotta get your 1911. And a few more Garands.

It has been confirmed that Mark Johnson “retired.” Whether or not it was his decision to retire, we will probably never know, nor do we need to.

The CMP is definitely changing. They are basically out of M1 carbines (as of 3-ish years ago they announced that they didn’t expect to be getting any more, and any they do get will be sold on auction). Their supply of good-condition Garands seems to have dried up, except for possible small releases from US storage. Basically all of the Garands being sold now are in poor condition, or have been in storage for a long time. Very limited surplus ammo availability for the past several years, and we are unlikely to see that change.

That said, they do have a huge endowment which will help them continue to follow their mission well into the future.

It has been confirmed that Mark Johnson “retired.” Whether or not it was his decision to retire, we will probably never know, nor do we need to.

The CMP is definitely changing. They are basically out of M1 carbines (as of 3-ish years ago they announced that they didn’t expect to be getting any more, and any they do get will be sold on auction). Their supply of good-condition Garands seems to have dried up, except for possible small releases from US storage. Basically all of the Garands being sold now are in poor condition, or have been in storage for a long time. Very limited surplus ammo availability for the past several years, and we are unlikely to see that change.

That said, they do have a huge endowment which will help them continue to follow their mission well into the future.
Honestly it has been going downhill since Orest retired. Mark was a dick whenever you asked him a question or disagreed with him using facts.

I've been to many matches including regional 'Games' and Camp Perry Nationals since Mark was appointed CEO. Day to day operations didn't seem to be that different and I didn't notice any huge clusters at matches. Sure there were small problems that could have been handled better but no patterns that would point back to faulty leadership. Talladega Marksmanship Park is awesome and I think Mark had a fairly big role in getting that up to its current status. I talked with him a few times and he was decent to talk to, at least from my experience.

I get a kick out of how worked up some people get over the firearms sales. The chill pill to take for that is an understanding that CMP's mission is to promote marksmanship, particularly for youth. The firearms sales are a revenue stream to support that mission- period. That said, their grading of the M1's can be a bit iffy and most of the M1's being sold lately are pigs with lipstick. Though I received one nasty Turkish return M1, it ended up getting rebuilt as a match rifle which is now a tack driver. The last two M1's that the CMP shipped to me were fantastic and I'm still scratching my head why they did not go straight to auction.

Perhaps Mark has simply had enough. There is some travel involved and that's not for everyone. If there's something going on behind the scenes I'm sure the word will get out. Who knows- he could have a family member with health issues or perhaps he did something he should not have done.

For all the folks in this thread, take a serious look at going to the New England Games at Camp Ethan Allen, VT. You can go to shoot and have fun or compete with top national shooters if you are more competitive. Beautiful setting and usually the weather is perfect.

New England CMP Games & CMP HP Rifle Matches - Civilian Marksmanship Program

Honestly it has been going downhill since Orest retired. Mark was a dick whenever you asked him a question or disagreed with him using facts.
Agreed, I remember reading some of his CMP articles back at the first news of the millsurp 1911's to be sold. He came across as a total scheming salesman trying to create hype and demand BS even before that was any real facts or sale structure.

With the new SIG SPEAR, surely we should see M16s any day now ;)
Last Sunday I spoke with the Italian Stallion and learned something interesting. Apparently there are still a number of Air Force and Coast Guard M1's that were barely or never used. No clue if the CMP could ever get their hands on these, but they should be in pristine condition. I thought I was hallucinating because I think that is the first time I heard him talk about surplus M1's without calling them a "pizzashit". It's a right of passage to bring a CMP M1 to OCSA matches and have him give the "Itzapizzashit" endorsement. [laugh]

I don't think we will see anything more modern from the CMP. They would have to be in the business of converting receivers to semi, which would require the legal permission to do so and that ain't happening.

Last Sunday I spoke with the Italian Stallion and learned something interesting. Apparently there are still a number of Air Force and Coast Guard M1's that were barely or never used. No clue if the CMP could ever get their hands on these, but they should be in pristine condition. I thought I was hallucinating because I think that is the first time I heard him talk about surplus M1's without calling them a "pizzashit". It's a right of passage to bring a CMP M1 to OCSA matches and have him give the "Itzapizzashit" endorsement. [laugh]

I don't think we will see anything more modern from the CMP. They would have to be in the business of converting receivers to semi, which would require the legal permission to do so and that ain't happening.
I know the same is true for M14s. I'm going to say it anyways...it sure would be nice ;)

Or, as we move onto that Vortex new hotness, maybe the old hotness Trijicons will start to make their way to the market?

Ooh - maybe some surplus AR-7s? Surely we've moved on to something newer and more modern for downed air crews by now...

I know the same is true for M14s. I'm going to say it anyways...it sure would be nice ;)

Or, as we move onto that Vortex new hotness, maybe the old hotness Trijicons will start to make their way to the market?

Ooh - maybe some surplus AR-7s? Surely we've moved on to something newer and more modern for downed air crews by now...
Actually you bring up a great point. ACOGs would be a great revenue stream for the CMP. The Desert Storm era sniper scopes get huge money on CMP auctions.
I would shell out money for a run down M9, no joke.

Forgot about M9's. Those would seem possible sometime in the future.

Back
Top Bottom