• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to buy to build an AR-15

I'm thinking about building one. I'm not worried about doing the build itself, but would like to know all the parts I'll need to buy. I'm guessing that most builders don't order all of the individual parts seperatley, but buy kits (like the LPK) that contain all the stuff for a particular sub-assembly. Any help, or pointers to AR-15 Building for Dummies?

go into the members section. there is a sticky there with complete instructions and a parts list. credit for the list goes to Cmaro21. I think he deserves all the rep points we can give him.

Last edited:
Midway USA and Brownells (I think) have good video tutorials....and YouTube/Google are your friends.

I am also in the process of assembling my first...I have everything except the barrel, including tools, etc.

I made up an .xls spreadsheet with all the parts necessary.
If you PM me with an email address, I'll be glad to share (with anyone, for that matter).
It includes a parts list, numbered parts diagram, and a column for prices, etc.

edit...and what mchncbill said...he beat me to it [grin]

Buy a Tek-Mat.
When I was building my AR I used it as a reference and a list as to what I needed.
LOL it worked great.

Brownells has a site AR15builder.com that has a ton of great information. I'm currently buying the parts that I need for a build and I've used a combination of kits and individual parts. If you in no rush, the NES classifieds are a great place to find AR parts. Right now there are uppers, lowers, LPKs, a BCG, and probably other stuff in the classifieds.

I've bought an Upper, BCG, and barrel from members. I've also bought other miscellaneous parts here and at AR15.com. Amazon is another pretty good source for parts.

The Build it Yourself forum here at NES is also a good source.

There's a good article in building your own AR in the latest "American Rifleman"

Midway USA and Brownells (I think) have good video tutorials....and YouTube/Google are your friends.

I am also in the process of assembling my first...I have everything except the barrel, including tools, etc.

I made up an .xls spreadsheet with all the parts necessary.
If you PM me with an email address, I'll be glad to share (with anyone, for that matter).
It includes a parts list, numbered parts diagram, and a column for prices, etc.

edit...and what mchncbill said...he beat me to it [grin]

reps sent the file is awesome and very in depth even links to items he got, awesome for anyone who is doing this first time!!

I started using LPK's and Upper PK's....as I got to my 4th and 5th AR I started realizing I wasn't using a lot of the parts that came in the kits since I was buying upgraded things like bolt catch, selector, trigger, mag release, extended pins etc so all I was really using from the kits was the springs and detents...after awhile I had a ton of spare "stock" parts! What I did was order 10 each of the springs/detents and now I just order every part separately...not saying you should start this way but I think it's what a lot of us end up doing :)

Surf the classified and group buys here as well for the "heftier" buys. You can really make out like a bandit with some patience. Recently Dropride (praise be) had a GB for "blemished" uppers. And by blemished, I mean there was maybe a machining mark somewhere on it that may have been magnified through anodizing but I cannot find it.

Lowers are constantly on there for cheap dollars too. I made the god awful mistake of buying 80% when the Madness hit. I literally sent a franklin in an envelope to a guy in Conn. Worked out fine but now RocketHub has some startups whisking 80% lowers away at $30!

If money is no object, Pal State has great deals too. Or BCM.

Good luck!!

So I realize this is an extremely complex question, but...

Is it cheaper to build or to buy?

I know there's an endless bunch of variables, but I am still asking because the question really is: Why did you build or buy? Is it just wanting to build it yourself, or can you get better value or better quality building it?

Thanks

So I realize this is an extremely complex question, but...

Is it cheaper to build or to buy?

I know there's an endless bunch of variables, but I am still asking because the question really is: Why did you build or buy? Is it just wanting to build it yourself, or can you get better value or better quality building it?

Thanks

Cheaper to buy most definitely. You could possibly get away with a build being cheaper if you surf the classified and group buys but how quick do you want this?

It's quicker and cheaper to buy full rifle (especially now) but more satisfaction comes from building something (as well as a better understanding and you get what you want)

Buying is definitely cheaper than building right now, especially for entry-level rifles. Both at dealers, and in the classifieds, the prices have come way down. I got a little carried away and built a couple more rifles than I really meant to, and I probably can't sell them for what I've got into them. I wouldn't get killed on them, but I probably wouldn't quite break even.

Building is fun though, and even if it costs a little more, I think the experience is worth it. Parts have become more available recently, so you won't have to wait 4 months for a barrel like we did last winter.

One big piece of advice to keep costs down - plan your whole build in advance, down to the smallest parts, and order as much stuff together as you can. You get killed on shipping if you start buying $5 parts in separate orders and paying $8-10 in shipping each time. You don't want to forget a gas tube roll pin, and then have to pay full shipping for it.

Ammo is also becoming more available and prices are coming back down, but you will still get killed buying pre-ban magazines. Those have come down some, but you still pay way more than they are worth.

Good luck

You don't want to forget a gas tube roll pin, and then have to pay full shipping for it.

On that note -if youre a green member- I would be more than happy to ship out any sel-loks for free if you give me the spec. All the old snychro based naval equipment we manufacture requires roll pins for gears, shafts, structure, etc... I have tons of them so just give me the thickness and length in a PM.

Save ya a couple bucks when you have a DOH! moment.

This is my Checklist:

Stripped Lower
Brownells abbreviated lower Parts kit (no grip, selector, or trigger group)
Stock Kit
Buffer tube
Castle nut with end plate
Stock
Buffer
Polished extra power JP buffer spring
Moe Grip
Ambi selector
RRA match trigger kit

Stripped Upper
Barrel
Bolt carrier group
forward assist group
Charging handle
Muzzle brake
Gas tube
Gas block
Hand guard
Gas tube roll pin
Ejection port cover kit.

Optional based on handguards used
Delta ring and spring
barrel nut

Last edited:
This is my Checklist:

Stripped Lower
Brownells abbreviated lower Parts kit (no grip, selector, or trigger group)
Stock Kit
Buffer tube
Castle nut with end plate
Stock
Buffer
Polished extra power JP buffer spring
Moe Grip
Ambi selector
RRA match trigger kit

Stripped Upper
Barrel
Bolt carrier group
forward assist group
Charging handle
Muzzle brake
Gas tube
Gas block
Hand guard
Gas tube roll pin

Don't forget the ejection port cover and associated bits, and depending on what kind of handguard, you may need a delta ring assembly, etc...

Ha. I forgot to tweak my list.

I don't put ejection port covers on my guns. In fact, I prefer uppers without forward assists or ejection port covers.

Also, the handguards I use are all free floated and come with the required nut.

I'll add this stuff to my list above.

Don

p.s. I've had a heck of a time finding uppers like this lately. Les Baer won't sell them individually any more. Someone recently found this link for me:

http://www.andersonrifles.net/index...arts/ar15-a3-upper-receiver.html#.Umrg19WzKpj

new_upper.jpg

I haven't used one yet. But I figure that since i true and square all my uppers before use, its worth a shot. Oh. And its dirt cheap.

Last edited:
I started using LPK's and Upper PK's....as I got to my 4th and 5th AR I started realizing I wasn't using a lot of the parts that came in the kits since I was buying upgraded things like bolt catch, selector, trigger, mag release, extended pins etc so all I was really using from the kits was the springs and detents...after awhile I had a ton of spare "stock" parts! What I did was order 10 each of the springs/detents and now I just order every part separately...not saying you should start this way but I think it's what a lot of us end up doing :)

X2 on this. I did the same thing and bought an lpk without fcg because I was buying a geiselle or alg fcg separately. I still ended up not using some parts like the selector switch and pistol grip because I upgraded them. I should have ordered individual parts from Palmetto State Armory or Brownells

I really should start doing what you guys are doing. I keep saying I'll make a list of all the parts to get , but never get around to it.

As is, the abbreviated kit from brownells is only $22 to $30. Someday, I'll get around to doing what you guys mention above.

My personal reccomendation: get a palmetto state armory or aero precision lower on the cheap, a lower parts kit with whatever hammer/trigger combo you want, buffer tube , stock and components. Build the lower yourself and just buy and upper and bcg from Bravo Company USA.

My personal reccomendation: get a palmetto state armory or aero precision lower on the cheap, a lower parts kit with whatever hammer/trigger combo you want, buffer tube , stock and components. Build the lower yourself and just buy and upper and bcg from Bravo Company USA.

This is good advice if you:
1) are nervous building an upper
2) are satisfied with an upper that BC builds. They are all top notch.

If you want something more custom, but aren't comfortable building, Rainier arms will assamble any parts you buy from them for a nominal fee.

In my most recent case, I wanted an upper as light and accurate as possible. I ended up with a Lothar Walther barrel, Clarke Custom CF handguard and a JP adjustable aluminum gas block. I don't know of anyone who offers something like that. Sure BC offers a lightweight upper, but not with the accuracy of a Lothar Walther barrel.

20130612_174438-1_zpsb1189f31.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Buying is definitely cheaper than building right now, especially for entry-level rifles. Both at dealers, and in the classifieds, the prices have come way down. I got a little carried away and built a couple more rifles than I really meant to, and I probably can't sell them for what I've got into them. I wouldn't get killed on them, but I probably wouldn't quite break even.

Building is fun though, and even if it costs a little more, I think the experience is worth it. Parts have become more available recently, so you won't have to wait 4 months for a barrel like we did last winter.

One big piece of advice to keep costs down - plan your whole build in advance, down to the smallest parts, and order as much stuff together as you can. You get killed on shipping if you start buying $5 parts in separate orders and paying $8-10 in shipping each time. You don't want to forget a gas tube roll pin, and then have to pay full shipping for it.

Ammo is also becoming more available and prices are coming back down, but you will still get killed buying pre-ban magazines. Those have come down some, but you still pay way more than they are worth.

Good luck

I'm not so sure that's true right now.

A quick example: PSA has stripped lowers (blem; these are a great deal, as you usually cannot find any 'blem.') for $59, and 16" kits for $649. Add $22 for shipping and $20 for transfer, and you're into a complete rifle for $750.

Either way, build or buy, it's a pretty nice place to be, price-wise, these days for the AR community.

I'm not so sure that's true right now.

A quick example: PSA has stripped lowers (blem; these are a great deal, as you usually cannot find any 'blem.') for $59, and 16" kits for $649. Add $22 for shipping and $20 for transfer, and you're into a complete rifle for $750.

Either way, build or buy, it's a pretty nice place to be, price-wise, these days for the AR community.

You left out the lower parts kit cost, so add about $90 with a GOOD trigger set and not the gritty part that they usually supply .

A sport for $599 , is that a mASS. compliant sport?

Don't forget good punches and painters tape.
Nothing says &*^%$ like nice deep scratch from a slipped punch.
Protect that lower with the tape.
Also pay attention to supporting the ears for the trigger guard before you drive the pin in or you will snap one off.
It's probably the most common screw up on a build.
Take your time and think the steps through.
It's fun to actually shoot one you built yourself.

+1 on Rainier arms! I've been buying from John for years, and to call him simply top notch feels like an injustice. Simply one of the best in the industry to work with.

I got a port door for my second ar.
Didn't realize it wasn't a kit err....
Now I need to find a web site selling the pin spring and clip that has a good deal on a rifle buffer extension , buff , and spring . So I don't get hosed on shipping . Errr

Back
Top Bottom