• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to do with my CCW at the gym?

I have no idea what to do with my ccw when I'm at the gym. Do any of you who work out keep it on you somehow? I have been locking it up in the car but just wondering if anyone else does differently.

I have a Kel-tec p3at and it came with a small pouch I just trow it in there and in my pocket.

If its something bigger you could go with a smart carry or fanny pack

I have no idea what to do with my ccw when I'm at the gym. Do any of you who work out keep it on you somehow? I have been locking it up in the car but just wondering if anyone else does differently.

When I was competing seriously I used to shoot almost daily and also train at a local gym. Since the gym was on my way to work (I carried at this job) I would put my guns (competition and carry) in my gym locker and protected them with the stoutest padlock which would fit the locker. I did NOT bring my shooting bag into the gym. I took great pains to conceal the fact that I was storing guns in the locker and a shooting bag would have been a dead giveaway.

As long as no one knows there is a gun in your locker it is safe. Safer than in your car, IMHO. If you must carry in the gym, a 38 snubby will fit into a rubber ab belt and be fairly comfortable. Make sure it is stainless or you will rot the bluing off in no time.

When I was competing seriously I used to shoot almost daily and also train at a local gym. Since the gym was on my way to work (I carried at this job) I would put my guns (competition and carry) in my gym locker and protected them with the stoutest padlock which would fit the locker. I did NOT bring my shooting bag into the gym. I took great pains to conceal the fact that I was storing guns in the locker and a shooting bag would have been a dead giveaway.

As long as no one knows there is a gun in your locker it is safe. Safer than in your car, IMHO. If you must carry in the gym, a 38 snubby will fit into a rubber ab belt and be fairly comfortable. Make sure it is stainless or you will rot the bluing off in no time.

amen. I do the same thing at the gym. If its one of my glocks, I lock it in the locker as mentioned above. If its my snubby, I stick it in my pocket.

Yeah, if you're Richard Simmons.
Welcome to the neighborhood Mr. Rogers, and no not if you are Richard Simmons. Anyone that wears sweats without pockets or wants something that holds more solidly than sweatpants pockets etc.

Welcome to the neighborhood Mr. Rogers, and no not if you are Richard Simmons. Anyone that wears sweats without pockets or wants something that holds more solidly than sweatpants pockets etc.

Why did I just get an image in my mind ... "Mr Rogers meets Mr. McFeely at the gym ... and one of them has a gun."

I'm going to start drinking early today.

Why did I just get an image in my mind ... "Mr Rogers meets Mr. McFeely at the gym ... and one of them has a gun."

I'm going to start drinking early today.
Mr. McFeely asks is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? LOL
I was going to ask him if he could say egg McMuffin.

That would work well standing but what about lying down on a bench? I think people would see a wierd bulge on your side.

depends what you're carrying i guess. a revolver would be more noticable i think.

i just bought one of these today from the NRA store, if this thread is still kicking around by the time it arrives i could always do some testing downstairs... i have a bowflex with a bench, a treadmill, and a nordic track or however that is spelled.

Considering how many calls my department gets for B&Es into cars at the local gyms I would NOT, I repeat NOT! leave my CCW in my car while working out. The only place that is equally unsafe is the gym locker. Not only will you be out of a sweet gun, you will lose your membership to the gym (most of them prohibit ANY weapons), probably be found unsuitable and have to report the stolen gun to the local PD.

My suggestion? I don't have one. I work out at the PD [smile].

Considering how many calls my department gets for B&Es into cars at the local gyms I would NOT, I repeat NOT! leave my CCW in my car while working out. The only place that is equally unsafe is the gym locker. Not only will you be out of a sweet gun, you will lose your membership to the gym (most of them prohibit ANY weapons), probably be found unsuitable and have to report the stolen gun to the local PD.

My suggestion? I don't have one. I work out at the PD [smile].

I have been training in various gyms for over 30 years and never encountered a break in problem as long as the locker was locked, and the member kept the key on his or her person.

Yeah, if you're Richard Simmons.

I just gave you 6 rep points for that post.

There is never a good reason to wear a fanny pack, unless....

Mr. McFeely asks is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? LOL

...your name is "McFeely"

As long as no one knows there is a gun in your locker it is safe. Safer than in your car, IMHO.

whatever you do, don't just stuff it in the locker! Those things get broken into ALL the time!

I have been training in various gyms for over 30 years and never encountered a break in problem as long as the locker was locked, and the member kept the key on his or her person.

I worked at a gym in high school, and there were countless break ins into cars and lockers. It was all kept hush hush (bad for business), but it happened all the time.

A few times gym members who were cops had their gear stolen from in their lockers, other times credit cards would be taken and charged up for thousands in electronics within minutes of the break in...lots of thefts.

It's very easy for a crook to do. Go to a gym and pay the "drop in fee" to use the facility for the day, shrug and say "Oh I came here in workout clothes so I don't have pockets for my ID," then put a bogus name down on the guest form, and clean out the locker room. Others would just have a friend let them in a back door so there was never any record of them having shown up.

Another thing, people will show up at the gym, lock their valuable's in their car, then leave their car keys on the treadmill...also a bad idea.

My vote would be to keep the gun on you or to go unarmed.

I just gave you 6 rep points for that post.

There is never a good reason to wear a fanny pack, unless....

...your name is "McFeely"

Jim, whatever works best for a person is good enough reason. Who is anyone to dictate what another person can use?

Back
Top Bottom