• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to do with this fungus

deerdad

NES Member
I posted this in the off topic and it was suggested to post it down here. This is at the base of an oak tree in my yard and it comes back every year. Last year someone was trying to take it one night when they got scared off. So this thing is called hen of the woods? What can I do with it? It's about 2 feet across and a half a foot thick anyway. It's good sized. I have never done anything with regards to fungus or mushrooms.

1634168334897.png

That right there is hen of the woods for sure. It is a choice edible. Slice it up and sauté in butter. Or you can make some killer soup too. Chicken broth, garlic, kale onion, a pile of hen of the woods sliced thin, and shrimp makes a rip'n soup. Salt and pepper to your taste. Pour it over some rice noodle or any noodle of your choice.

I posted this in the off topic and it was suggested to post it down here. This is at the base of an oak tree in my yard and it comes back every year. Last year someone was trying to take it one night when they got scared off. So this thing is called hen of the woods? What can I do with it? It's about 2 feet across and a half a foot thick anyway. It's good sized. I have never done anything with regards to fungus or mushrooms.

View attachment 532068
That’s hilarious that you had someone trying to snatch it up 😂

That’s hilarious that you had someone trying to snatch it up 😂
I have had several people ask me if they can pick the shrooms in my yard. My buddy scoffed up the Hen in my yard and brought it to his dad. I see another one brewing. Few weeks ago I had a yard full of the small plain looking shrooms , lady down the street picked those.

I saw this on a walk Sunday morning. It was about a foot tall. What do you do about bugs and slugs when preparing to eat these things? Do you rinse them or will that ruin them?

Attachments

• henofwoods - Copy.jpg
    henofwoods - Copy.jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 29
I believe they're walnut tree saplings. There are a couple small producing ones about 30 feet away from the oak. It does look like ivy in the picture but it isn't.

Had a large mushroom growing like the one in the OP in the front yard where I removed a large oak - thing was about 1' x 2.5'
Ran it over with the lawn tractor then ripped it out - had I realized that it was edible and wanted would have harvested it and posted it here

Back
Top Bottom