What to look for in a Python?

LLF

NES Member
I am seriously considering adding a Colt Python to my collection. I want a blued model with the 4-inch barrel. I am hoping to shoot it, not just stash it in my safe.
Are there particular years or ears that are more desirable than others?
Are there any issues to be aware of with Pythons?
Prices seem to be all over the place. FS has one for sale for $4K. I have seen them go for as little as $2100 to over $7K on Gunbroker.
Any comments welcome.
Thank you.

I can't help with Colts except to say that I'd try and find a book on the Python before dropping more than $2000 on a used gun. You want to identify a specific variant to look for. This'll narrow down your search. A book would also contain all the technical details - gun forum answers cover maybe 25% max of all the details surrounding a specific type of gun. A good book gets super detailed.

However, I find the price range you mentioned weird. Are you looking at sold Gunbroker auction? All the same variant? Are you excluding outliers, like say engraved guns or super rare edition or junkers on the low end? Are you also checking reputable auction house websites' sold listings, like Rock Island Auction and Amoskeag?

The spread on prices are insane so you will have to set your price range and shop within it. Unfired safe queen with box ect is going to fetch $$$. A shooter is in the 2K range. (or at least it was)

I'm unaware of any issues with any of them but I am not an expert.
Id never even pick up a new one.

There's a bunch on proxibid but good luck finding a dealer willing to transfer one in MA....I'm not too familiar with Colts and how easy they can be disassembled down to a bare frame...

I am seriously considering adding a Colt Python to my collection. I want a blued model with the 4-inch barrel. I am hoping to shoot it, not just stash it in my safe.
If you're just going for a shooter why not buy the SS 2020 Python?
Mine goes bang every time.

20200422_142642-jpg.350729

Last edited:
I like the early to late 60’s with the 2nd gen grips ~1960-1974. I own a 4” blue from 1965. I shoot it, but don’t feed it 357 on the regular. Here’s a good article to get more info:

Last edited:
If you're just going for a shooter why not buy the SS 2020 Python?
Mine goes bang every time.

20200422_142642-jpg.350729
This. At least you're spending close to $2k on a brand new gun not a 40+ year old gun with an unknown history.
I'll take your 357 mag brass if you don't want it....;)

Of course finding a dealer in MA to transfer it will be tough...

I wanted a stainless Anaconda for years....my neighbor growing up had 2 with Leupolds on them and they were beautiful. Then it dawned on me that a Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel is $1300 with the scope. The total cost for the gun, scope, mounts, fancy hardwood grip, dies, reloading components and fancy holster (that I have yet to buy but which should be !$150) cost ~2/3 of a used Anaconda. I'm not saying this to dissuade you: I understand how nice the snake guns are. But for a practical shooting tool, I could not justify the extra money.

Thank you all for your comments. I checked with my dealer and a Python cannot be transferred in this miserable state unless it was owned in said miserable state prior to 1998.
So much for finding one on Gunbroker, The FS gun must have been one of those pre-1998 owned guns.
As far as a new Python is concerned, my dealer said the current-production Pythons MAY be included on the approved firearms roster when it is updated. These have a MSRP of about $1500. SS only. Another interesting development is that CZ recently acquired Colt Manufacturing. Will they keep the Colt name? Will the Python stay in production? Will it be improved? Asaltweapon says he'd never pick up a new one. Will CZ change his mind?

These have a MSRP of about $1500. SS only. Another interesting development is that CZ recently acquired Colt Manufacturing. Will they keep the Colt name? Will the Python stay in production? Will it be improved? Asaltweapon says he'd never pick up a new one. Will CZ change his mind?

CZ also owns Dan Wesson, and Dan Wesson revolvers are at least twice as better than a Python.
I can see a D.W. Python down the line, and made much better in regards to materials and fitting.

My 6" Python goes back to 1983. It sports the "Coltguard" electroless nickel finish. Sweet gun, no issues. Also brought in one in SS for a customer. Gritty SA trigger. Had to go back to get it smoothed out. Have never seen another with a shitty trigger. Jack.

Thank you all for your comments. I checked with my dealer and a Python cannot be transferred in this miserable state unless it was owned in said miserable state prior to 1998.
So much for finding one on Gunbroker, The FS gun must have been one of those pre-1998 owned guns.
As far as a new Python is concerned, my dealer said the current-production Pythons MAY be included on the approved firearms roster when it is updated. These have a MSRP of about $1500. SS only. Another interesting development is that CZ recently acquired Colt Manufacturing. Will they keep the Colt name? Will the Python stay in production? Will it be improved? Asaltweapon says he'd never pick up a new one. Will CZ change his mind?

The simplest way around that is to find one that is C&R eligible. Have it shipped to your door.

One of the issues I've heard about is the cylinder timing getting out of wack on the older guns. I don't recall exactly how it changed but could be from firing hot 357 loads. If you get your hands on an old one very slowly and gently cock the hammer until it clicks locked then try to rotate the cylinder by hand. If the cylinder rotates and clicks into place then the timing is off. Do that for all six cylinders. It's not fatal and can be fixed but something to consider before buying. Do an internet search and a number of articles will come up.

I have a preference for the gen 2's and earlier... in addition to the timing, a steady diet of hot 357 could produce some negative effects on other components. My 1957 6" blued and 1966 6" nickel have seen untold rounds of 38 sp wadcutters but still needed to go back to Colt for some tune ups... Finding someone who can actually work on them is important if you are going to shoot them. Not sure if Colt/CZ will still do legacy service...

ETA - there has been a resurgence in interest in revolvers in the last few years and prices have reflected that... If I wanted a balls out hand finished masterpiece, I would get a Korth... if i wanted a revolver that could eat a ton of super hot loads w/o issue and was finely crafted, I would get a Manhurin (sp?)--- better revolvers are out there but better can be subjective. The Python, with all its flaws, represents one of the pinnacles of american gun manufacture and I appreciate them for all their quirks, unique aspects, and artistry... I don't shoot them too much these days but I still like handling them...

UYeQ9Um.jpg

Last edited:
CZ also owns Dan Wesson, and Dan Wesson revolvers are at least twice as better than a Python.
I can see a D.W. Python down the line, and made much better in regards to materials and fitting.
I have both an old DW and Python.
I’m not going to start a pissing match over it but just what brings you to such a conclusion?
I’d love to hear how the long term history and the volumes of writings on the Python can be ignored.

Are there particular years or ears that are more desirable than others?
Are there any issues to be aware of with Pythons?
Prices seem to be all over the place. FS has one for sale for $4K. I have seen them go for as little as $2100 to over $7K on Gunbroker.
Any comments welcome.
Thank you.
The new Python made it to the target roster.

when python shopping, snek should be able to grow to 10 feet long or bigger, 15 feet is good. Very muscular, capable of snuffing you out. Pet shop pythons are pussies and don't get big. You want a Burm or Retic that will soon become way too big for you to handle and will be a threat to your pets and kids. You'll want to let it go in Florida and then start over with new snek. Don't step on snek.

I believe only the 6" barrel model is now approved. I want a 4" - 4.25" barrel. I think that is still prohibited.
I think you're right. It might come down to what the inbounding FFL is comfortable with...

Back
Top Bottom