• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What tools do I need for scope?

And since we are at it, what tools do I need for my rifles and handguns?
and where do I get them?

But more important I need to fix my scope that came loose at Appleseed
image.jpg

looks like a torx

Don't use cheap tools, you will regret it.

Hollow ground screwdrivers.

looks like a torx

Don't use cheap tools, you will regret it.

Hollow ground screwdrivers.

Looks like a torx screw to me, too. I would recommend a set of punches and a rubber mallet, along with a set of hex keys as well. Probably want a torx key to fit the screws in your scope rings in that pic as well.

What are you trying to show? Those are absolutely Torx screws and your rings should have came with the correct one. If not they are dirt cheap and available at any hardware store, auto parts store, and decent electronics store.

That actually looks like a Torx+. There is a big difference. Don't use a Torx in a Torx+ fastener. You might get away with it or you may strip it out. Brownells has a full line of gunsmithing tools. If you need to borrow one I'm in Townsend.

th.jpg

This is a Torx+ fastener. The lobes are rounded. The standard Torx have a more pointed pattern. From the photo it could go either way. I've seen all kinds of Torx+ stuff showing up in all kinds of places. I just bought a complete set of new bits to deal with the influx.

Last edited:
While you are at it, you should get a torque wrench if you are going to be mounting scopes. Wheeler makes a decent entry level tool that comes with a set of bits that should be all you need for this job.

That actually looks like a Torx+. There is a big difference. Don't use a Torx in a Torx+ fastener. You might get away with it or you may strip it out. Brownells has a full line of gunsmithing tools. If you need to borrow one I'm in Townsend.

View attachment 182774

This is a Torx+ fastener. The lobes are rounded. The standard Torx have a more pointed pattern. From the photo it could go either way. I've seen all kinds of Torx+ stuff showing up in all kinds of places. I just bought a complete set of new bits to deal with the influx.

Now that you mention it, I believe you are correct.

Looks like a torx screw to me, too. I would recommend a set of punches and a rubber mallet, along with a set of hex keys as well. Probably want a torx key to fit the screws in your scope rings in that pic as well.

BRASS punches and drifts, maybe a nylon mallet as well.

And get some purple Locktite so it won't walk loose again. Don't use blue or red on it!

This

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-3865...1479339742&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+purple+222

My dad used to use liquid Teflon also.

I have this set and it works well and so far it has common sizes found for most uses.
https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-849728-Gunsmithing-Torque-Wrench/dp/B004NC57PE

You can get expanded set also.
https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Guns...d=1479340049&sr=8-8&keywords=gunsmith+bit+set

Now are these the best... no but if your going above and beyond the limits of these tools your probably going to learn or know what to get.
I buy a lot of gunsmith stuff from brownells as they have a no BS return policy for life. Their tools are generally better also.
For most everyday common use the wheeler stuff will do.

Last edited:
Thank you for the links. Pretty much what I wanted.

Depending on the scope and rings it pays to contact the manufacture for torque specs.
Also a torque screwdriver will come in handy with that 10/22 as action screw tightness plays havoc on accuracy. I was fisting a screwdriver on my 10/22 only to find out that's way to tight. Right now my 10/22 is shooting its best with 18inlbs 1000 rounds and it has not moved. I marked the screw and stock with a paint pen. I checked it a few times and it has yet to turn before the tool indicates I reached the setting.

Back
Top Bottom