• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the best .22 ruger pistol?

I'll start the 22/45 thread. I've only been shooting since July 2005 so this is my first gun. It really is a weel made gun. Mine was used and made circa 1994 but it shoots very well. I've had some 280+ shooters try it so I know it can shoot way better than I am now :D

I can appreciate the take down concerns but once you have done it a couple of times it isn't a big deal. I've had mine apart at least a dozen times since July. I also replaced the guts with the Volq accurizing kit and the difference is unbelievable. This site http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/index.htm is invaluable to the MKII owner.

The bggest complaint I have with the 22/45 is the polymer frame means no replacement grips other than sli ons which makes take down alittle more painful. Griip Grip off, Grip on Grip off.......

There is one guy (search on MarkII.org) who managed to add replacement grips to his 22/45 via a significant Dremel process. Results came out pretty good but a little beyond my gunsmithing skills so far.

So other than the replacement grips stuff the 22/45 is a great gun.

Good luck.

P.S. as was said though the best way is to try before you buy;-)) I didn't but I guess I got lucky.

I'll start the 22/45 thread. I've only been shooting since July 2005 so this is my first gun. It really is a weel made gun. Mine was used and made circa 1994 but it shoots very well. I've had some 280+ shooters try it so I know it can shoot way better than I am now :D

I can appreciate the take down concerns but once you have done it a couple of times it isn't a big deal. I've had mine apart at least a dozen times since July. I also replaced the guts with the Volq accurizing kit and the difference is unbelievable. This site http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/index.htm is invaluable to the MKII owner.

The bggest complaint I have with the 22/45 is the polymer frame means no replacement grips other than sli ons which makes take down alittle more painful. Griip Grip off, Grip on Grip off.......

There is one guy (search on MarkII.org) who managed to add replacement grips to his 22/45 via a significant Dremel process. Results came out pretty good but a little beyond my gunsmithing skills so far.

Good luck.

P.S. as was said though the best way is to try before you buy;-)) I didn't but I guess I got lucky.

Good luck.

jcisbig said:
On the Ruger website, a lot of the II's and III's have fixed sights, while some have adjustable sights. I was reading the instruction manual for the III's, and they said that the 'fixed' sights are adjustable for windage only, while the 'adjustable' are adjustable for both windage and elevation.

But still, why would they make a 'fixed' sight on a .22 pistol?

Cost.

jcisbig said:
On the Ruger website, a lot of the II's and III's have fixed sights, while some have adjustable sights. I was reading the instruction manual for the III's, and they said that the 'fixed' sights are adjustable for windage only, while the 'adjustable' are adjustable for both windage and elevation.

Cost.

jcisbig said:

Cost.

Phoenix said:
It took me 2 minutes to take my Mk I apart, but about two hours to get it back together!

Phoenix, I've had a Mark 1 since 1981 and it still took me some serious fumbling time to reassemble mine last month! Of course, it was the first time in several months I'd taken it apart, as it was the first range trip for it, but still.

Join the club! [wink]

Phoenix said:
It took me 2 minutes to take my Mk I apart, but about two hours to get it back together!

Phoenix, I've had a Mark 1 since 1981 and it still took me some serious fumbling time to reassemble mine last month! Of course, it was the first time in several months I'd taken it apart, as it was the first range trip for it, but still.

Join the club! [wink]

Phoenix said:

Join the club! [wink]

Phoenix said:

Been there, too. For me at least, the critical point is to remember to position the hammer & spur forward before I put the mainspring housing back in.

Phoenix said:

Been there, too. For me at least, the critical point is to remember to position the hammer & spur forward before I put the mainspring housing back in.

Phoenix said:

Yeah...I have problems putting the MKI back together as well, but I love the thing, and it's worth it, so I grin and bear it.

Yeah...I have problems putting the MKI back together as well, but I love the thing, and it's worth it, so I grin and bear it.

Phoenix said:
There 's much to be said for the old Single Six. [wink]
Not to mention that the Single Six has that 22Mag cylinder! AFAIK, there are no new-production 22Mag autos out there anymore.

Trivia: Maine State hunting regs consider 22 Mag adequate for whitetail.

Phoenix said:
Not to mention that the Single Six has that 22Mag cylinder! AFAIK, there are no new-production 22Mag autos out there anymore.

Phoenix said:

Difference between Mark I and Mark II

Judging from some browsing, ff price is a consideration, probably a used Mark I or Mark II is likely to be more affordable.

What is the difference between a Mark I and Mark II?

Judging from some browsing, ff price is a consideration, probably a used Mark I or Mark II is likely to be more affordable.

Back
Top Bottom