What's the best and coolest 10mm pistol out there ??

I think Vltor was going to produce the Bren Ten again but never happened. The Bren Ten looks nice and was designed around the CZ, but D&D had no manufacturing experience and you know how the story went. In particular, the slides had integrity problems (porousness issues). The DE is nice. Had one and sold it. Prefer Fusion, which can make you whatever 1911 you desire. Have one in all black 6" slide. Another vote for the 1066. Just an all around nice shooter and SS finish. The Star Megastar is probably the largest, beefiest and most intimidating of them all. Had one but sold it. Trigger ergos not great. 1006 is the fullsize 3rd gen S&W and is also nice, but I like the shorter 1066. G20 and G29 are workhorses -- have them both. Springfield Omega (one of Pitt's guns in Seven) is a neat 1911 design and built like a tank, but no parts available anymore. Came in a 6" as well. I had the 5" but sold it.

The EAA Witness Elite Match in 10mm is pretty nice setup!

1-jpg.57265

Last edited:
G20, G29. Duh.

Also, Glockzillas (G20L). I'll post pics of mine this weekend when I finally get around to assembling the slide [smile]

I have one of the new long slide model 41s.

Could I make that into a long slide 10 mm with nothing more than a replacement barrel from KKM and (I assume) a new stiffer recoil spring and a 10mm mag?

Don

Just for yucks I called Kevin from KKM.

He said he will not be making a 10mm barrel for the 41. He said that in the process of reducing the 41's slide width down to the same size as the 9mm slides, they made the OD of the chamber portion of the barrel very thin and he is not comfortable making a 10mm bbl with so little wall thickness on the chamber.

I reminded him that the 10mm is smaller than the .45, so it shouldn't be a problem.

He reminded me that the .45 ACP operates with a max SAAMI chamber pressure of 21,000 psi and the 10mm runs 37,500 psi.
(I guess thats why he is a barrel maker and I'm not, ha)

I had not thought about the slimming of the glock slide as a factor in the .41s suitability as a 10mm. He also speculated that if they had taken a .020" off the inside of the slide and bulked up the chamber portion of the barrel by .020", it would probably work fine.

Don

Just for yucks I called Kevin from KKM.

He said he will not be making a 10mm barrel for the 41. He said that in the process of reducing the 41's slide width down to the same size as the 9mm slides, they made the OD of the chamber portion of the barrel very thin and he is not comfortable making a 10mm bbl with so little wall thickness on the chamber.

I reminded him that the 10mm is smaller than the .45, so it shouldn't be a problem.

He reminded me that the .45 ACP operates with a max SAAMI chamber pressure of 21,000 psi and the 10mm runs 37,500 psi.
(I guess thats why he is a barrel maker and I'm not, ha)

I had not thought about the slimming of the glock slide as a factor in the .41s suitability as a 10mm. He also speculated that if they had taken a .020" off the inside of the slide and bulked up the chamber portion of the barrel by .020", it would probably work fine.

Don

Very interesting, thanks for sharing Don. I never realized that 10mm had such a high chamber pressure, but knowing that now explains why he doesn't feel safe with the same wall thickness as a .45!

Very interesting, thanks for sharing Don. I never realized that 10mm had such a high chamber pressure, but knowing that now explains why he doesn't feel safe with the same wall thickness as a .45!

Typical 45 ACP 230 gr ammo: ~ 850 ft/sec
The Buffalo Bore 10mm 220 gr hardcast ammo that I carried in my Delta Elite on my last visit to Alaska: ~ 1175 ft/sec

Typical 45 ACP 230 gr ammo: ~ 850 ft/sec
The Buffalo Bore 10mm 220 gr hardcast ammo that I carried in my Delta Elite on my last visit to Alaska: ~ 1175 ft/sec

Wow, I didn't realize it was so significant of difference until this thread. Guess I'll have another caliber to keep my eyes open for now...

Wow, I didn't realize it was so significant of difference until this thread. Guess I'll have another caliber to keep my eyes open for now...

Check out 460 Rowland. You can shoot .45 out of the same barrel.

80 gr (5 g)3,050 ft/s (930 m/s)1,680 ft·lbf (2,280 J)

185 gr (12 g) JHP1,560 ft/s (480 m/s)1,000 ft·lbf (1,400 J)

230 gr (15 g) JHP1,340 ft/s (410 m/s)930 ft·lbf (1,260 J)

230 gr (15 g) FMJ1,340 ft/s (410 m/s)930 ft·lbf (1,260 J)

300 gr (19 g) (Revolver Only)1,350 ft/s (410 m/s)1,230 ft·lbf (1,670 J)

This is the Star Megastar that was made in 10mm it was also made in 45 ACP which I have.It,s a very heavy pistol,and Star stated at the time that it could handle any 10mm.

Attachments

• megastar-10.jpg
    megastar-10.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 50
Built up the Glockzilla upper tonight. Can't wait to shoot it, maybe this weekend. I got a chrono too, so I'll compare loads in this setup versus the stock barrel. I'm expecting about 20% more kinetic energy.

20141120_204712.jpg

I'll take all mags you have for $50 each. If there was ever a product made of unobtainum it is Bren Ten mags. Who are the guys trying to build new ones for like 5 years?

Yup. This is what basically killed that gun. It seems that Crockett was the only person who could get mags.

Back
Top Bottom