What's The Best Round For A White Rhino ???

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member

According to this, it took 15 rounds fired from three different rifles to take down the rhino.

bullets-rhino-jpg-1675258425.jpg

According to this, it took 15 rounds fired from three different rifles to take down the rhino.

bullets-rhino-jpg-1675258425.jpg
15 rounds fired. No mention of how many hit the Rhino or where they hit it.

Click bait = Reptile Level. 😎

For those somehow incapable of clicking the link and reading the full article before jumping to conclusions -

FWC Wildlife officials say they were able to corroborate the park officials' version of events with surveillance footage.

"For more than twelve years, Wild Florida's mission has been to provide an unforgettable Everglades experience that promotes a connection with animals while inspiring education and conservation. Unfortunately, we are sometimes faced with unforeseen situations and circumstances that require an immediate response to ensure the continued safety of visitors, staff, neighbors, and, most importantly, animals in our care. In September 2022, a new rhino began to pose an imminent danger to the park at large, and after consultation with leadership and Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) guidelines, we made the difficult decision to humanely euthanize the animal. As an organization, Wild Florida will continue providing the best care for our animal family and promote the importance of conservation through our educational programs."

WESH 2 received the following statement from Kate MacFall, Florida Senior State Director of the Humane Society of the United States:

"The rhino died a needless horrific death, all in the name for a ticket to the roadside zoo. A young white rhino is a wild, dangerous animal. It's no surprise that he would pose a danger to people and the other animals, especially in captivity. Florida has many problem exhibitors; this authority was clearly not capable of handling this animal. Why were they not able to safely contain him? What was missing? What were they hiding from the helicopter? Would a necropsy be in order? Overall this is tragic to lose a member of a vulnerable species that had just arrived. The way he was killed with several rounds of bullets is not humane euthanasia."

For those somehow incapable of clicking the link and reading the full article before jumping to conclusions -

FWC Wildlife officials say they were able to corroborate the park officials' version of events with surveillance footage.

"For more than twelve years, Wild Florida's mission has been to provide an unforgettable Everglades experience that promotes a connection with animals while inspiring education and conservation. Unfortunately, we are sometimes faced with unforeseen situations and circumstances that require an immediate response to ensure the continued safety of visitors, staff, neighbors, and, most importantly, animals in our care. In September 2022, a new rhino began to pose an imminent danger to the park at large, and after consultation with leadership and Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) guidelines, we made the difficult decision to humanely euthanize the animal. As an organization, Wild Florida will continue providing the best care for our animal family and promote the importance of conservation through our educational programs."

WESH 2 received the following statement from Kate MacFall, Florida Senior State Director of the Humane Society of the United States:

"The rhino died a needless horrific death, all in the name for a ticket to the roadside zoo. A young white rhino is a wild, dangerous animal. It's no surprise that he would pose a danger to people and the other animals, especially in captivity. Florida has many problem exhibitors; this authority was clearly not capable of handling this animal. Why were they not able to safely contain him? What was missing? What were they hiding from the helicopter? Would a necropsy be in order? Overall this is tragic to lose a member of a vulnerable species that had just arrived. The way he was killed with several rounds of bullets is not humane euthanasia."
A lot of words but all I can visualize is a face of a tiger king and his ‘zoologists’.
It was a great show to illustrate the whole level of, well, disillusionment.

On any attempt to think of any smarter way to deal with that animal - visualize tiger king.

Nuke from orbit?

IIRC, back in the day, any rifle <.50 cal was considered a "Medium" for dangerous game. Not saying that tech in propellant, bullets, and firearms has not advanced, but those big beasts are not easy to kill.

A while back I read a memoir by Frederick Selous, who was a professional hunter at the end of the 18th century. On one elephant hunt, he bemoaned the fact that it took ten or twelve rounds (it's been a while, I forget the exact number) of rounds from his 16-bore elephant gun to take down one tusker. He was not sad at having to slowly kill the beast; he was sad that the time involved allowed others to get away. Hunting ethics have changed, somewhat.

A lot of words but all I can visualize is a face of a tiger king and his ‘zoologists’.
It was a great show to illustrate the whole level of, well, disillusionment.

On any attempt to think of any smarter way to deal with that animal - visualize tiger king.
“A lot of words….”

You’re making my point. You f***in smoothbrains…..

Somebody, who knew what they were doing, could have done it with any of the calibers there.
I think 375HH would be the default choice for most.

There's a guy in Africa (was a guy) who dispatched hundreds of elephants with a 275 Rigby, which is basically a 7mm Mauser.

Somebody, who knew what they were doing, could have done it with any of the calibers there.

There's a guy in Africa (was a guy) who dispatched hundreds of elephants with a 275 Rigby, which is basically a 7mm Mauser.
I read something about another guy who exclusively used .270 Winchester to shoot Elephants. Can't remember the name it was in the 50's, I read a book about the guy.

.375HH would have been my choice out of the three as well. But .458 Win Mag is better. or any of the Safari calibers beyond that.

375 h&h mag would have been my choice.
@drgrant ... your thinking is good ... The first rule for taking down large, dangerous game is "Bring Enough Gun" .. African plains animals are incredibly tough ... Many of the countries on the dark continent specify the .375 H&H Mag as the absolute MINIMUM for big-game hunting. Something that will stop a pissed-off rabid bulldozer high on PCP and Meth with one shot is enough gun.

Someone mentioned the .45-70 because of its usefulness for taking Buffalo. If the .45-70 worked on African big game, you'd see guides and other professionals on The Dark Continent using it. They don't.

@drgrant ... your thinking is good ... The first rule for taking down large, dangerous game is "Bring Enough Gun" .. African plains animals are incredibly tough ... Many of the countries on the dark continent specify the .375 H&H Mag as the absolute MINIMUM for big-game hunting. Something that will stop a pissed-off rabid bulldozer high on PCP and Meth with one shot is enough gun.

Someone mentioned the .45-70 because of its usefulness for taking Buffalo. If the .45-70 worked on African big game, you'd see guides and other professionals on The Dark Continent using it. They don't.
45-70 in its absolute highest loading that you could only run safely thru a Ruger #1 or similiar lockup bolt rifle might be OK.

Otherwise its not travelling fast enough to reliably penetrate deeply into overlapping ribs on things like Cape Buffalo, and 1/2" thick chain mail type hides of Rhino.

Plains Buffalo are tough, but they aren't built like an African Cape Buffalo, or Austrailan Water Buffalo.

I'm not saying it cant kill them if placed in the right spot...it certainly can....but there are other calibers that will penetrate reliably.

I just hope they don't do something stupid like give it a burial and ceremony and bullcrap as if its a person.

I'd like to see it made into hamburger. With how thick the hides are, I'm wondering what could be done with the skin. Not to mention that the FWC could get a great funding boost if they sold the horn, but you know they won't.

W. D. M Bell. Pretty amazing man and life he lived.

Back
Top Bottom