What's the scoop on custom ear plugs?

rogersmithiii

NES Member
Since the older posts here are out of date, any suggestions on custom ear plugs? The references in older posts don't seem to be in business anymore.

My dentist has them. He's a gun guy and saw them advertised at a LGS. Had them custom-made for him when he's in the office. Turns out hearing loss is prevalent among dentists because of the high pitch of the drill

My dentist has them. He's a gun guy and saw them advertised at a LGS. Had them custom-made for him when he's in the office. Turns out hearing loss is prevalent among dentists because of the high pitch of the drill
Yup, cumulative hearing damage is definitely a thing. I have lost a tremendous amount of my hearing due to years of operating power tools with unprotected hearing.
Now I spend everyday trying to protect what I have left.

Got a set from ESS. Also tried the $15 DIY solution from Cabelas. ESS's plugs are slightly softer, but also 4-5x the price. Both do the job.

There was a vendor at NorthEast Regional.

Edit to add: EAR SAFETY SYSTEMS

I have two sets made by Steve from Ear Safety Systems. One set has a filter plug in it the other is just solid. He molded me right at a match at Pioneer Sportsmen in NH during a NH State IDPA Championship match. I liked them so much my wife had a set made up during a Mass State IDPA Championship match before Covid. She has concussion syndrome issues and can be sensitive to loud sounds at times and didn't like too many over the counter ear plugs.

Yep. That is who did mine and they have been reliable for years now. Marlboro Gun Show will be in a few weeks. He’ll be at the back wall.

They won't stay in when putting on a full face motorcycle helmet, the only reason I bought them and told him so. He assured me they would stay on while putting helmet on.

Wasted a bunch of cash on that experiment.

Nice guy though.

They won't stay in when putting on a full face motorcycle helmet, the only reason I bought them and told him so. He assured me they would stay on while putting helmet on.

Wasted a bunch of cash on that experiment.

Nice guy though.

I never had a problem putting my helmet on over either ESS plugs or the DIY ones. But my current helmet pulls them out when removing the helmet. Never had a problem with any other helmets. If I stop in Marlboro I'll ask him to make them smaller, maybe that will help.

I never had a problem putting my helmet on over either ESS plugs or the DIY ones. But my current helmet pulls them out when removing the helmet. Never had a problem with any other helmets. If I stop in Marlboro I'll ask him to make them smaller, maybe that will help.

Wouldn't that entail him molding a new pair for $100?

I just use Moldex Spark Plugs now, disposable and blocks out the right amount of wind where I can still hear my engine.

The problem is the small plugs he puts in to tie the string on. They stick out some and things can get stuck on them. I had some low profile ear muff that wouldn’t sit flush on my ears because of those tabs. If I did it over again I wouldn’t have him install those plugs.

Wouldn't that entail him molding a new pair for $100?

I just use Moldex Spark Plugs now, disposable and blocks out the right amount of wind where I can still hear my engine.

Yes, I would get a new pair. You're supposed to get a new pair every few years as your ears change slightly.

Or maybe I'll try to dremel my DIY ones down more.

The problem is the small plugs he puts in to tie the string on. They stick out some and things can get stuck on them. I had some low profile ear muff that wouldn’t sit flush on my ears because of those tabs. If I did it over again I wouldn’t have him install those plugs.

Ya, I think that was my problem.. On a snug helmet they would become dislodged slightly and with no way to put them back into my ear properly without removing my helmet, rendered them useless for what I wanted them for.

I've been using set from ear safety systems. Best investment I've ever made for the hobby. Couldn't be happier.

With that said, I recently ordered a new set from Big ear inc

Claims a 37db noise reduction while still allowing normal conversation. My current plugs I could wear for hours with no issues, and I have. However, at Appleseed events constantly taking them out for instructions and discussion is a pain in the ass.

The service thus far has been great. You can order an at home molding kit at no charge and no requirement to purchase.

My wife took the molds, compared them to a sample they send in the box, and to my current plugs. Very happy. Was very easy. They send extra molding material in the box, just in case your first attempt doesn't work out.

I had enough that I did molds for my brothers ears.

I would highly recommend ear safety systems, but if you want to take another route, check out Big Ear inc.

Once I get the new plugs I'll post a review of the finished product

I have two sets made by Steve from Ear Safety Systems. One set has a filter plug in it the other is just solid. He molded me right at a match at Pioneer Sportsmen in NH during a NH State IDPA Championship match. I liked them so much my wife had a set made up during a Mass State IDPA Championship match before Covid. She has concussion syndrome issues and can be sensitive to loud sounds at times and didn't like too many over the counter ear plugs.

I didn’t like them because they were bulky and didn’t flex very well. I’d get air gaps with a good cheek weld and they would get uncomfortable after a while. Also very expensive for ear plugs. The Surefire EP4 plugs are only like $12 bucks a pair and work way better for me.

Had mine done at Camp Perry last summer. The vendor made no big claims for dB reduction and if I recall the number he gave, it was lower than for the typical foam plugs. The foam plug claims must be BS, because these things work as well as foam plugs with a headset over them. I have yet to go to the Marlboro show but might go just to have another set- I like them that much.

If you don't mind me asking- what are the concussion syndrome symptoms? Last February we came back from Florida and I slipped on a mound of ice that was buried in 4" of fresh powder. Feet flew out from under me and I cracked my noggin pretty hard on the ice mound. I've had tinnitus in one ear ever since- sometimes it's bad enough I can't hear a damn thing in that ear. Other times it's moderate. Glad I have the solid custom molded ear plugs- they do a good job.

If you don't mind me asking- what are the concussion syndrome symptoms? Last February we came back from Florida and I slipped on a mound of ice that was buried in 4" of fresh powder. Feet flew out from under me and I cracked my noggin pretty hard on the ice mound. I've had tinnitus in one ear ever since- sometimes it's bad enough I can't hear a damn thing in that ear. Other times it's moderate. Glad I have the solid custom molded ear plugs- they do a good job.

My wife played multiple sports growing up and through High School and had a history of several concussions over the years. A few years ago she got hit in the head again and started having ongoing issues with bright or flashing lights, and even some sounds causing her to feel dizzy or out of it. She couldn't be around loud music etc... The ear plugs help a lot with that.

As far as your tinnitus, have you had an audiogram done? I know a woman that fell and hit her head so hard she broke some tiny bones in her ear and so basically has conductive hearing loss in one ear.

I didn’t like them because they were bulky and didn’t flex very well. I’d get air gaps with a good cheek weld and they would get uncomfortable after a while. Also very expensive for ear plugs. The Surefire EP4 plugs are only like $12 bucks a pair and work way better for me.

I mostly shoot pistol so cheek weld isn't an issue there. I don't really shoot rifle much but have shot trap wearing them a few times and never noticed any problem with fit or air gaps or anything like that while shooting. I can see how depending on your anatomy it may be a problem. I think he told me he can make them a little less bulky but that might also cut down the protection a bit.

Last edited:
My wife played multiple sports growing up and through High School and had a history of several concussions over the years. A few years ago she got hit in the head again and started having ongoing issues with bright or flashing lights, and even some sounds causing her to feel dizzy or out of it. She couldn't be around loud music etc... The ear plugs help a lot with that.

As far as your tinnitus, have you had an audiogram done? I know a woman that fell and hit her head so hard she broke some tiny bones in her ear and so basically has conductive hearing loss in one ear.

I mostly shoot pistol so cheek weld isn't an issue there. I don't really shoot rifle much but have shot trap wearing them a few times and never noticed any problem with fit or air gaps or anything like that while shooting. I can see how depending on your anatomy it may be a problem. I think he told me he can make them a little less bulky but that might also cut down the protection a bit.
Thanks- I will look into the audiogram.

Last weekend I went to the range and while a good distance away from the firing line, someone with a brake took a shot and that noise set off the tinnitus from about a 3 to a 9 out of 10. I was surprised that it was so much more sensitive than the other ear. I'll have to put the plugs in before I get out of the car now.

Yep. That is who did mine and they have been reliable for years now. Marlboro Gun Show will be in a few weeks. He’ll be at the back wall.

Guy named Mike used to set up at all of Patti's shows up here and would make them right there. Haven't seen him since before Covid - of course - but wonder if that's the same guy

I know they're not custom, but these came in my Woot feed yesterday

I was interested in these, but not sure how good they're

Harry
I have a set of the isotunes advance. For me personally they are extremely comfortable and do exactly what they should. Although I find them to be a little slow to return to normal after a shot rings out. The Bluetooth feature is nice for phone calls. I don't have to remove them for that. I don't use them for music but they actually sound pretty good. But overall they are excellent working and you can buy replacement ear plugs online for cheap money in all different shapes and sizes to fit your ear canal. Although they take a little time to get used to do to the wire hanging around the back side. But again overall a great product for around a hundred bucks

I have a set of the isotunes advance. For me personally they are extremely comfortable and do exactly what they should. Although I find them to be a little slow to return to normal after a shot rings out. The Bluetooth feature is nice for phone calls. I don't have to remove them for that. I don't use them for music but they actually sound pretty good. But overall they are excellent working and you can buy replacement ear plugs online for cheap money in all different shapes and sizes to fit your ear canal. Although they take a little time to get used to do to the wire hanging around the back side. But again overall a great product for around a hundred bucks

Don't want to hijack this thread, I know the OP was looking for non-electronic custom made-to-fit ear protection.

However looks like i'm going to do it anyway; I've had a nice over-the-ear set for years, work perfectly except for Rifle and Shotgun shooting, they just get in the way with cheek-weld.

I'm either knocking them off when I bring up the shotgun fast or I'm compressing my cheek-weld and its effecting precision shooting.
(Please note: precision is a strong word, more like me trying to get small groups at 100 yards)

I got the woot notification and started looking at in-the-ear alternatives, I did a bunch of research and ended up buying the Axil GS Extreme 2.0

Their web site has them on sale 35% off ($70), I paid $129.99. In my research both where very close in quality and function, the Axil just nudge out a little better.

They will be here on Tuesday and I will test them out next weekend.

They have a lot of features I don't care about, all I wanted was small hearing protection so I could get a better cheek-weld and not have to take them out to talk.
I don't like the muffled sound and the loss of senses when I just plugged my ears.

I don't need to listen to music or answer the phone, if I'm shooting I want to enjoy myself.
Besides, great excuse.
Sorry hunny, I was out shooting with our kids and didn't hear the phone, of course if I had heard the phone I would have stop at the 7-8 shops, looking for impossible to find items for you on the way home.

If anyone is intreated I can report back, I will most likely still use my over the hear version for pistol shooting, who knows time will tell
Harry

If you are a veteran, the VA might help out. Last fall I told them the standard foam ear plug didn’t fit well when shooting. I had to have another hearing test, then the girl made a mold of each ear canal. Couple of weeks later I stopped by and picked up my new silicone ear plugs. They actually work good and the price was zero.

Back
Top Bottom