• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's wrong with my Enfield?

I took the bolt out to clean the barrel and bolt.
After that was all done I was verifying that it works correctly and I noticed that it clicks the trigger twice upon cocking and sliding the bolt back.
I'm pretty sure it didn't do that before. Any ideas?

I know it's the trigger because if I gently put my finger over it, it flicks a bit when it clicks on the way back
You can see how it kicks my finger forward when it does it

The beginning shows you how it cycles smoothly when the bolt is cocked
Afterwards you can see what I'm describing

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not the rear sight. I just tried it.

It's related to the trigger part and the part that cocks back gliding over the trigger spring tongue part, sorry I don't know what that part is called

That looks to be a 303T, really cool. Being a 303T, Im not sure if the triggers were reworked or different than a standard No4 MkI.

edit: I believe the correct term is No4(T), not 303T. I'll do some research, but they have a very simple trigger system that shouldn't be hard to identify a problem with.

Last edited:
Look at the bottom of the cocking piece. It will be obvious where the two clicks are generated. With the bolt removed, actuate the trigger and you'll see where it and the sear interact with the cocking piece.

If you do a google search for Lee Enfield cockinmg piece you will find photos of the assembly.

The clicking may have become audible from cleaning the action but was always there... unless you reassembled it incorrectly.

Nice no4(t). Only sniper rifle I've yet to obtain from that time period....

Can't load vid on iPad at work, but will chime in later if no one hasn't yet

Thanks guys! Too bad I don't have the scope for it [sad2]
It's a 1944 and everything looks correct sans scope.

Look at the bottom of the cocking piece. It will be obvious where the two clicks are generated. With the bolt removed, actuate the trigger and you'll see where it and the sear interact with the cocking piece.

If you do a google search for Lee Enfield cockinmg piece you will find photos of the assembly.

The clicking may have become audible from cleaning the action but was always there... unless you reassembled it incorrectly.

Are you saying the clicking is supposed to be there?
I only took out the bolt (didn't even take the bolt apart) I can't comprehend how I assembled that incorrectly when sliding it back in.

How do I know if it is a H&H?

I picked my Enfield up on a whim and have not gotten to learn more about it yet. I finally got around to taking it to the range to give it a go and I seem to like it. But after cleaning this didn't seem right.

Some usually had a contractor marking of "S51" on the butstock. Is it bedded? When you say picked it upon a a whim......do you mind me asking how much you paid for it? Where? I only ask because I always enjoy those stories.."Yea I found this old Parker at a garage sale for 50 bucks" Im waiting to find a deal like that to happen to me.......

I will have to check for the markings later when I get home.
All I remember is seeing ENGLAND and 1944 and the serial number on it. I have to look up where the other markings are

I don't believe it is bedded but not sure about that

I bought it from a member on here last winter, I forget what I paid exactly but I remember it being around $350 and I got over 200 of 303 brass and projectiles, 2 or 3 bandoliers with old military ammo, box of clips and an old rifle sock to go with it. I think that was everything that came with it. Might have gotten more ammo too

I think I got a super deal on it [grin]

*edit I just found my old PM with the deal. I bought it for all for $360

$ 275 The rifle
$ 20 270 Sierra bullets
$ 15 Lee dies
$ 10 290 rounds of 303 brass
$ 5 10 rounds of .303 military ammo.
Free Bunch of 303 clips
Free Leather and web slings
-------------
$ 325

I have something that might be a cleaning kit, round tubular container. If it is for the 303, I'll throw it in.

Seperately, I have 50 rounds of vintage British 303 ammo, on clips, in a bandoleer ( which is dated 77 ) The ammo is
dated 04
I have been advised this stuff is worth at least $ 1 per round.
Take all 50 rounds for $ 35, or buy lesser amounts at $ 5 per 5 round clip.

Last edited:
Thats a smokin deal if its a real No4(T). The scope bases and optics are out there, but for a complete rig, they're getting harder and harder to find, and priced accordingly. Heck even if its not a 'Real" (T) variant, its still a good deal, and then with the componants, even better. When I get home I'll get my No4 off of the wall and give it a look to see if I can reproduce what yours is doing and maybe give some usefull insight. Might be worth what you paid for it but couldnt hurt.

Are you saying the clicking is supposed to be there?
I only took out the bolt (didn't even take the bolt apart) I can't comprehend how I assembled that incorrectly when sliding it back in.

It sounds like the sear popping up into the 'half cock' followed by 'full cock' positions. When you hold the trigger back you feel the action of the sear moving into these positions transferred through the trigger. You cleaned grease/lube/crud out of there that could damp the noise.

Look at diagrams of the action. It's a very simple assembly and it should be obvious what is going on.

Alright guys
Upon closer examination I find new nothing of interest. I don't see any No4 T, where should I look?

I do see M47C then 1944 and the serial number starting with P33XXX and TR under that

There are different markings on the bands up towards the barrel. Are these supposed to match? N79 and S76
On the bottom of the stock directly under the cheekrest it has S5 stamped into the wood

There's some kind of squiggles on the safety lever I can't make out what it is

SM stamped on the part of the sight that moves up and down by twisting the adjustment knob

Bottom side of stock behind the trigger is SL N 74 upside down V and a star

Towards the front of the receiver on the right side is a crown and ENGLAND

It also has a brass buttstock

Last edited:
Just an update, I bought a scope from Peter Laidler who seems to be the go to guys for any Enfield knowledge.
It's a No32 MKII W from 1943 [smile]

It looks so much better like this. Now I have to send it off for fitting of the mounts
Don't worry I was just holding the scope with my hand.. Couldn't find a better thing to point it at to test it [wink]

10514601_10152367325998611_3993699435618529152_n.jpg

10556307_10152367326093611_2484547878289759776_n.jpg

10492563_10152367326173611_4582669270082490196_n.jpg

1623690_10152367334343611_4730283454270615615_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom