When coyotes attack

Ernie Brown Jr. would be proud of this guy!

[shocked]

Awesome responses. Those are a couple of tiny ass coyotes though. I suppose they’re standard sized and we just have bigger ones here. But still, awesome reactions.

Ernie Brown Jr. would be proud of this guy!

[shocked]
Meh. You have the thing by the tail, but do NOT proceed to bash it's brains out by slamming it's head off one of those fence posts?
At the very least, pin it to the ground and hammer fist it to break a few ribs.
But it might have been hard in his house dress and flip flops.

Meh. You have the thing by the tail, but do NOT proceed to bash it's brains out by slamming it's head off one of those fence posts?
Definately skipped a step....swing it like a baseball bat into the side of the dumpster.....then throw in dumpster.

Trash guy gonna get a surprise when he opens that thing!

That coyote could've been rabid. Doing the above is actually the last thing you want to do, unless you like getting rabies shots and paying a $1500 deductible for the $30K+ medical service bill.

(we went thru this a few years ago when the wife grabbed a raccoon that was going after our free ranging chickens, and it tested positive for rabies).

We have 2 coyotes (at least) take up residence in our neighborhood. About a week ago they were brazen enough to walk across my front and side yard in broad daylight! They looked well fed. :eek: I have had multiple sightings as well as neighbors (mostly the ones with chicken coops), as well as hearing some evening howling.

Last edited:

I spend a lot of time in Wompatuck (part of which is in Cohasset), sometimes at night and alone, and there is absolutely at least one decent sized pack living in there, and I think there's actually more than one as I've heard them barking and howling from one direction and then another pack will return the howl from another. Over by the Cohasset commuter rail station in particular. I have no idea how many there are in a pack but when they get going it sounds like at least a half dozen getting into it. One night a few weeks back I found myself on a trail and a bunch of them started howling some distance ahead of me. I really didn't want to turn back so I kept going, and never saw any of them, but it was a little unsettling.

I never really worried about them bothering me but after seeing some of these recent stories about them attacking adults I'm thinking twice and am considering bringing a rape whistle with me.

We have 2 coyotes (at least) take up residence in our neighborhood. About a week ago they were brazen enough to walk across my front and side yard in broad daylight! They looked well fed. :eek: I have had multiple sightings as well as neighbors (mostly the ones with chicken coops), as well as hearing some evening howling.

View attachment 853939

I spend a lot of time in Wompatuck (part of which is in Cohasset), sometimes at night and alone, and there is absolutely at least one decent sized pack living in there, and I think there's actually more than one as I've heard them barking and howling from one direction and then another pack will return the howl from another. Over by the Cohasset commuter rail station in particular. I have no idea how many there are in a pack but when they get going it sounds like at least a half dozen getting into it. One night a few weeks back I found myself on a trail and a bunch of them started howling some distance ahead of me. I really didn't want to turn back so I kept going, and never saw any of them, but it was a little unsettling.

I never really worried about them bothering me but after seeing some of these recent stories about them attacking adults I'm thinking twice and am considering bringing a rape whistle with me.

IMG_8406.gif

That coyote could've been rabid. Doing the above is actually the last thing you want to do, unless you like getting rabies shots and paying a $1500 deductible for the $30K+ medical service bill.

(we went thru this a few years ago when the wife grabbed a raccoon that was going after our free ranging chickens, and it tested positive for rabies).
Respectfully, the guy already had the yote by the tail. And your advice in that situation is what exactly? To allow it to eat your dog because you are worried you might get bitten? Nope.
I am not trying to adversarial, but the day I cower from, at most, a 30-40lb coyote, that the guy easily lifted with one hand, will be the day I give up.
I'm sure the shots suck, and again, not trying to be a jerk, but I have much better insurance than that. I will never pay a $1500 deductible, and neither will anyone that works for me. Ever.

Just headed-off a coyote attack on our chickens....

It's late in the afternoon, its been raining all day. We are both home and we let the chickens out to run around for the afternoon. Because they want out.

.... then, very late in the afternoon, the perimeter alarms are sounding-off, like they often do.

But I have learned not to be complacent, and to pay attention to every single alarm and check EVERY time.

This time, it is NOT a false alarm. It's a gosh darn coyote slinking in and coming down out of the woods .... to take one of our chickens.

And it's still very light out .... Only 6:15 pm

(Re-evaluaton: yes, I saw one yote, but it there could have been more)

When I went out I grabbed a suppressed 10/22.

I was able to get several rounds off before it jammed.

... "son of a mother!"

The bastard ran off. There's a good chance i hit it, because that suppressed 10/22 is dead-on with zero recoil.

Tomorrow, I will be re-cleaning ALL fire arms....spotless.
Also, changing perinteter alarm batteries, checking trail cams, and dumping large quantities of human pee jar along that area.

Any how... I HATE coyotes!!!

Last edited:
Just headed-off a coyote attack on our chickens....

It's late in the afternoon, its been raining all day. We are both home and we let the chickens out to run around for the afternoon. Because they want out.

.... then, very late in the afternoon, the perimeter alarms are sounding-off, like they often do.

But I have learned not to be complacent, and to pay attention to every single alarm and check EVERY time.

This time, it is NOT a false alarm. It's a gosh darn coyote slinking in and coming down out of the woods .... to take one of our chickens.

And it's still very light out .... Only 6:15 pm

(Re-evaluaton: yes, I saw one yote, but it there could have been more)

When I went out I grabbed a suppressed 10/22.

I was able to get several rounds off before it jammed.

... "son of a mother!"

The bastard ran off. There's a good chance i hit it, because that suppressed 10/22 is dead-on with zero recoil.

Tomorrow, I will be re-cleaning ALL fire arms....spotless.
Also, changing perinteter alarm batteries, checking trail cams, and dumping large quantities of human pee jar along that area.

Any how... I HATE coyotes!!!
I don't have chickens, but many neighbors do. I get at least one coyote that seems to follow me around at night when pulling the trash barrels to the road from the back of the house. He stays inside the tree line and walks with me, when I hear him I shine my light on him and he scoots off into the woods. Not all the time, but has happened a few times now so I keep an eye out.

Back
Top Bottom