• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When coyotes attack

Comical that some people move into the suburbs and then bitch about encounters with wildlife. If it bothers you that much, move back to the concrete jungle.
I don't bitch about the encounters, just about all the costs incurred -- fencing to keep wildlife out of the garden, and then suppressors, ammo, and (sometimes) hunting licenses, because the fence doesn't work.

I will bitch about having to stop because of live animals in the road (turkeys mostly, sometimes porcupine, coyote, fox). Never happens when I have a plow mounted, only when I'm in a hurry (and in a vehicle with a tough-to-clean undercarriage).

I don't bitch about the encounters, just about all the costs incurred -- fencing to keep wildlife out of the garden, and then suppressors, ammo, and (sometimes) hunting licenses, because the fence doesn't work.

I will bitch about having to stop because of live animals in the road (turkeys mostly, sometimes porcupine, coyote, fox). Never happens when I have a plow mounted, only when I'm in a hurry (and in a vehicle with a tough-to-clean undercarriage).

Sounds like you would be more at home in Boston...

We just had kid's deer weekend and the results around here seem pretty low. Everyone is blaming the coyotes for the poor harvest. I personally think they're just being used as a scapegoat for a crappy deer herd.

Bitching is only recognized from NES Member's :rolleyes:

The kid the coyote dragged off was 2 years old. How did their weight compared to the weight of a (skinny) western coyote?

The father lost me at "Picking up a BOARD and going after the coyote."
HgAW7WZ.jpg

That coyote wasn't going anywhere. I should extract the woman's yelping from that video clip and use it in my e-caller.

My kids were out sledding last night and it had gotten dark. My daughter saw a coyote in the tree line and suggested they leave. My son took the option of barking at it and ran at it (it was about 100 feet away as the story is told). Coyote ran away. Then they all left and came home.

I don’t know whether to laugh at his antics or sigh that he may be “that guy”.

My kids were out sledding last night and it had gotten dark. My daughter saw a coyote in the tree line and suggested they leave. My son took the option of barking at it and ran at it (it was about 100 feet away as the story is told). Coyote ran away. Then they all left and came home.

I don’t know whether to laugh at his antics or sigh that he may be “that guy”.
From what I understand, a single coyote is unlikely to attack a human and does not want to be confronted at all. If it was a pack, maybe not the best idea, but still they will most likely run.

From what I understand, a single coyote is unlikely to attack a human and does not want to be confronted at all. If it was a pack, maybe not the best idea, but still they will most likely run.
From my observations while hunting (I've only witnessed 1-3 of them at a time), when there's a single coyote, they don't hang around much. But when one is lingering, there's usually another nearby.

From my observations while hunting (I've only witnessed 1-3 of them at a time), when there's a single coyote, they don't hang around much. But when one is lingering, there's usually another nearby.
Yep.

Eastern coyotes, having interbred with two species of wolf in their migration back to New England, have more wolf-like traits than the LA coyote in the story upthread; are bulkier and more likely to hunt in pairs or even small packs.

SCOTTSDALE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -- Families in north Scottsdale are on edge, and with good reason. A coyote has attacked two toddlers in the past week. “We are not going outside any time soon,” said one parent.

Arizona Game and Fish have dispatched four officers to north Scottsdale to patrol around the clock, trying to catch the coyote who attacked the kids. Federal agents have also been called in and are considering setting up traps.

Don't know what got this (probably coyotes) from the size, I'm thinking it might have been a fawn :

1679676091246.png
Earlier in the week I found this in the snow in close proximity :

1679676163451.png

Last edited:
Out here in MO, the cattle farmers all have donkeys to keep coyotes (and other dogs) out of their pastures. Donkeys do not suffer canines of any kind and will kill them given half a chance.

Coyote mauls toddler in front of mum on driveway before attacking second child

A toddler miraculously escaped after being mauled by a coyote before it ran away and attacked another child nearby. Police are still hunting for the wild animal after it attacked a 21-month-old boy in Scottsdale, north of Phoenix last week. Kelly Pirozzi, the mom of the toddler, told ABC News she was standing on the driveway of her home when the animal attacked her son.The beast bit down on his arm before she was able to tear him free. He was left with only minor bite marks after the terrifying attack and his mum said: ‘It happened so quickly’....

Our expert mouser got taken out by Wile E. early Tuesday morning. She was with us for 16 years and spent nearly every night outdoors doing her work. A coyote went after her in our driveway, but she managed to scoot up a tree. It was a large oak though and she didn't make it up to a limb. The coyote lunged up the tree, and easily made it nine feet up. The cat remained out of reach, but she couldn't hold on, and jumped to the ground to make a run for it. She evaded the coyote for an hour, out of view of the camera. The coyote eventually pinned her down. It's not a myth that coyotes howl after making a kill. RIP, Camo.

Perhaps they should call USDA snipers to take them out. /s

Back
Top Bottom