• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When Seconds Count.........

I just had an interesting incident. I'm a guy in a wheelchair. Our house is about 200ft. from the road. I am home alone, it's dark, raining slightly and only a couple of lights were on inside the house.

I was on the computer and the front doorbell rang once. About 5 seconds later the outside screened storm door was opened (it was unlocked) and someone tried to turn the knob of the interior door. I was about 10 ft. away and I'm thinking "is somebody trying to break in"? Everyone that knows me uses a different door and always calls out my name. I grabbed my mace spray nearby and flicked on the sconce lights but nobody was there. My handgun was in a Fort Knox pistol safe in another room. No car in the driveway that I could see. I put on several more lights inside and outside the house.

I called the town cops and told them what happened and they said they would check it out. Thirty five (35) minutes later a cop showed up at the front door and we spoke through the screen door. I told him what happened. He seemed amused and he said "Well, what do you want me to do"? "It sounds like kids ringing a doorbell to me". I said "Yes maybe so but it's kind of unsettling to me, could you look around the perimeter of the house"?". He could clearly see I am in a wheelchair and I was a little rattled. I'm thinking I'm paying over $8,000 a year in property taxes and this is the absolutely useless police response I get?

Anyway, it got me thinking about that slogan "When seconds count the police are still minutes away". So true for me tonight. It was also a good reminder for me to hit the range. I haven't been there in a while.

sounds like you "bothered" this cop.. that sucks. doesnt sounds like kids playing ding dong ditch to me tho..sounds like a thwarted B and E attempt. 8 grand a year in prop tax you must have a nice house too.

Im not joking when I say this but can you rig a cool carry holster up to your wheelchair? that would be kinda cool if you ask me and its always gonna be right there with you. hopefully the unsettling feeling fades tonite.

I just had an interesting incident. I'm a guy in a wheelchair. Our house is about 200ft. from the road. I am home alone, it's dark, raining slightly and only a couple of lights were on inside the house.

I was on the computer and the front doorbell rang once. About 5 seconds later the outside screened storm door was opened (it was unlocked) and someone tried to turn the knob of the interior door. I was about 10 ft. away and I'm thinking "is somebody trying to break in"? Everyone that knows me uses a different door and always calls out my name. I grabbed my mace spray nearby and flicked on the sconce lights but nobody was there. My handgun was in a Fort Knox pistol safe in another room. No car in the driveway that I could see. I put on several more lights inside and outside the house.

I called the town cops and told them what happened and they said they would check it out. Thirty five (35) minutes later a cop showed up at the front door and we spoke through the screen door. I told him what happened. He seemed amused and he said "Well, what do you want me to do"? "It sounds like kids ringing a doorbell to me". I said "Yes maybe so but it's kind of unsettling to me, could you look around the perimeter of the house"?". He could clearly see I am in a wheelchair and I was a little rattled. I'm thinking I'm paying over $8,000 a year in property taxes and this is the absolutely useless police response I get?

Anyway, it got me thinking about that slogan "When seconds count the police are still minutes away". So true for me tonight. It was also a good reminder for me to hit the range. I haven't been there in a while.

Also keep in mind, what would you do if there was more than one attacker? Your can of mace might not affect the other attacker and then you will be up shit creek without a paddle.

My suggestion: rig up a holster to your wheelchair for your handgun on your strong side and a mag holster (s) with as many extra mags as you feel you need. Since you are always in the wheelchair, you will always have quick access to your handgun and you will still meet the dumb storage rules (since you are in control of it).

Glad to hear everything turned out alright.

Glad to hear you're still here to share your story. The 5-0 response sounds about par for the course. Their focus is so so narrow minded on catching criminals that they forgot their own slogan of days gone by: Protect & Serve. WE are their paycheck source, and they treat citizens like garbage.

Any thought to carrying even when at home? As you said, your pistol was locked in another room.

ETA: As others have said, rig up a holster to that bad larry and carry all the time. If I were in your position, my chair would look like it was issued by the Navy Seals. [smile]

sounds like you "bothered" this cop.. that sucks. doesnt sounds like kids playing ding dong ditch to me tho..sounds like a thwarted B and E attempt. 8 grand a year in prop tax you must have a nice house too.

Im not joking when I say this but can you rig a cool carry holster up to your wheelchair? that would be kinda cool if you ask me and its always gonna be right there with you. hopefully the unsettling feeling fades tonite.

Great minds think alike [smile].

My suggestion: rig up a holster to your wheelchair for your handgun on your strong side and a mag holster (s) with as many extra mags as you feel you need. Since you are always in the wheelchair, you will always have quick access to your handgun and you will still meet the dumb storage rules (since you are in control of it).

Glad to hear everything turned out alright.
This.

...and please change your avatar - its hard to look at.[laugh]

When I'm at home, I ALWAYS carry something. The time it takes someone to kick in your door and make it to your bedroom is usually less than the time it takes to figure out what's going on, get to your safe, open it, and then decide which is better, 9mm or .40. Especially given the mobility issues you sir should be strapped at all times. Unless you're driving one of these...

DSCN22531.jpg

This. Mace probably wouldn't have done much if there were multiple attackers or 1 attacker who has been sprayed in a training scenario. Glad you're ok though.

Glad nothing happened and you are ok, I wish I was surprised by this cops behavior, but sadly I'm not. Sound reminder for me to carry at home

Glad you're ok.

Cops are busy in breaking into people's houses and shoot their dogs.

I can already hear my friends and old lady busting my balls like I'm Wyatt Earp wannabe.

First, as others have said, glad you are ok. My family and friends know when they come to my house, that it is open carry. I'm just more comfortable being prepared. That is me.

I would also suggest that this might have been some kids being jerks, or the way I would think about it, it was a probing attempt, just to see your reaction. The next time might be much different.

Keep your sidearm with you at all times.

Oh yea, please change that avatar, I can't get that image unburned from my brain..... [crying]

I looked around online and this might work for me; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkGve5G3rGI&feature=youtu.be

I can already hear my friends and old lady busting my balls like I'm Wyatt Earp wannabe.

No, no, no. You have to do this right. You need something like this....

Scabbards_Gun_Leather.jpg

Strap that sucker on tight and put a short barrel 12 ga with a pistol grip in it. Then the next time someone decides to try your door, be very, very quite. [grin]

Glad you are OK.

I grabbed my mace spray nearby and flicked on the sconce lights but nobody was there.

I see what you did there..... [wink]

sconce[SUP]2[/SUP]
noun
1. Fortification . a small detached fort or defense work, as to defend a pass, bridge, etc.
2. a protective screen or shelter.

The real lesson is that when your home your gun should be with you and not in a safe in another room.

+1

Get a sweet shoulder holster and then use that other one as he suggested for a quick reholster and relocate scenario.

Better than some scumbag busting your head in after he busts down your door, buster.

Seconded. And surely your family can understand you have to make certain accommodations. Can't let them bust your balls about it. For all you know, you were 2 door hinges away from experiencing a fine example of why its a reasonable thing to do, carrying in home. Glad it didn't come to that.

A coach gun on your lap, a shoulder rig with a 1911 and an AR in a scabbard should do the trick.

A 3' by 4' steel "Welcome" mat with 120v source triggered by the doorbell should disuade those pesky kids...

Play the sounds of pumping the action of a shotty even if you only have a double. Glad you got a painless lesson this time around.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

The real lesson is that when your home your gun should be with you and not in a safe in another room.

Absolutely!

I have a friend and fellow gun club member who is wheelchair bound. Many years ago someone broke in while he was home . . . and found someplace else to be when my friend drew his pistol!

When I lived in downtown Lowell, we called the cops after the door to my condo was slammed- guy tried to get in using his shoulder and broke the handle on the process. Cop came 10 minutes later and much the same response except:

"Well he's not here, I don't know what you expect from me."

The genius then speculates it was a drunken lost neighbor on the wrong floor. He was annoyed that we called, so I never called again.

My girlfriend, now wife, still doesn't like guns, but slept well when I stayed in the living room with my .38 that evening.

Is 911 a joke like flava once sang? Maybe, maybe not, but when my spidey senses kick in, my first thought is to protect first, get safe, then call in the cavalry. I know, self help is bad but it sure beats being a victim

Is 911 a joke like flava once sang? Maybe, maybe not, but when my spidey senses kick in, my first thought is to protect first, get safe, then call in the cavalry. I know, self help is bad but it sure beats being a victim

1. When calling 911, remember the rapid response phrase.... " White Woman in trouble!!!" you will hear sirens right away. [laugh]

2. Who the hell is " Flava" and why does he spell it that way?

Back
Top Bottom