When shovels are illegal...

Buddy of mine posted this on his FaceBook page.

I HAD to share it

Before the American revolution, metal shovels were illegal. The Ames shovel and tool co. made shovels and guns much to the dismay of the British empire. When shovels become illegal, only criminals will have shovels.

Shoot...I'll have to make sure my shovel is mass compliant next time I go through the garage. I heard spade shovels will no longer be legal to sell through a FSL, but FTF transfers are ok. Is the one shovel a month thing going into effect anytime soon? I sure hope not...

Last edited:
Don't try to order a folding camp shovel from any large online company and have it shipped to MA because they won't. The ones with the picks and attachments are considered for 18 and over and MA AG has forbid them from being shipped in. So technically they may not be illegal but they are not allowed to be shipped in. The time has already come.

Shoot...I'll have to make sure my shovel is mass compliant next time I go through the garage. I heard spade shovels will no longer be legal to sell through a FFL, but FTF transfers are ok. Is the one shovel a month thing going into effect anytime soon? I sure hope not...

Wouldn't that be a FSL? (Federal Shovel Licence, As apposed to a Fed Firearms Licence.)

Don't try to order a folding camp shovel from any large online company and have it shipped to MA because they won't. The ones with the picks and attachments are considered for 18 and over and MA AG has forbid them from being shipped in. So technically they may not be illegal but they are not allowed to be shipped in. The time has already come.

So glad I don't live in Mass [grin]

Is this a joke?

I really can't tell. On the one hand, it's so absurd and matches the tone of the other (more obvious) jokes it must be a joke.

On the other hand, I can imagine someone thinking that restricting folding shovels was a good idea and passing some dumb law.

Actually, a shovel can be a serious weapon.
I remember a conversation with a WW1 vet (back in the 70's) and he told me about fighting in the trenches of Europe. He said that many soldiers sharpened the edges of their "entrenchment tools" and used them to cleave the enemy. They were far more effective than the issued knives for hand-to-hand combat.

Is this a joke?

I really can't tell. On the one hand, it's so absurd and matches the tone of the other (more obvious) jokes it must be a joke.

On the other hand, I can imagine someone thinking that restricting folding shovels was a good idea and passing some dumb law.

No joke. You want a pocket knife from SG or any other major online provider that the AG went after and they say no dice because it is a restricted 18 and older item. And you guys thought the ammo restriction into this state was stupid.

It wasn't that shovels were illegal per se in colonial America, the manufacturing of goods was what was illegal.
The colonies were only supposed to provide raw goods with England, in return for low wages and the ability to buy the finished product from England.

This is just part of the fuel for the fire

SG has the same issue here in CT. I CAN buy ammo, complete AR-15 kits (less lower of course), and just about anything else from SG........except...... I can't buy a knife of any kind. They won't ship knives to Connecticut or some stupid reason. Not that I would want one of theirs but just not being able to get it bothers me. Stupid, stupid laws.

Rome

MGL C. 140: S.122a

An assault shovel shall be defined as having the ability to fold and has 2 or more of the following features...

1) Is capable of julienning a potato.

2) Has the capacity to serve as a boat oar.

3) Has an included bottle opener that extends below the axis of the handle.

4) Can be utilized as a grappling hook.

5) Has the capability of being used defensively as a shield.

Last edited by a moderator:
MGL C. 140: S.122a

An assault shovel shall be defined as having the ability to fold and has 2 or more of the following features...

1) Is capable of julienning a potato.

2) Has the capacity to serve as a boat oar.

3) Has an included bottle opener that extends below the axis of the handle.

4) Can be utilized as a grappling hook.

5) Has the capability of being used defensively as a shield.

GROUP BUY!

It wasn't that shovels were illegal per se in colonial America, the manufacturing of goods was what was illegal.
The colonies were only supposed to provide raw goods with England, in return for low wages and the ability to buy the finished product from England.

Gee! Just like today. All those other countries aren't supposed to be manufacturing stuff. Their proper role in the grand scheme of things is simply to sell raw materials to the US so that we can manufacturer stuff, then buy all that stuff from us. If they don't fall into line, then we need some tariffs or quotas to protect our manufacturers from foreign (i.e., unfair) competition. Things would be so much simpler if we could just make it illegal for them to manufacture any stuff that a sufficiently influential group of Americans might find profitable to make.

Ken

Actually, a shovel can be a serious weapon.
I remember a conversation with a WW1 vet (back in the 70's) and he told me about fighting in the trenches of Europe. He said that many soldiers sharpened the edges of their "entrenchment tools" and used them to cleave the enemy. They were far more effective than the issued knives for hand-to-hand combat.

Well, actually, shovels and screwdrivers are the favorite weapons in the 3rd world countries where firearms are restricted. Back in the day you could always find a Spetznaz type of a shovel in a trunk of a “serious guy” in Eastern Europe. Russian forces still train in hand-to-hand shovel combat. Spetznaz guys spend a lot of time perfecting their shovel fighting skills.

Cold Steel sell copies of Spetznaz shovel. Their versions a bit heavier than Spetznaz, yet it is still lighter than NATO spade.

Here some demos.

Here some Russians playing with their shovels [smile]

Last edited by a moderator:

Seriously? This state is even more effed up than I though.

Back
Top Bottom