• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When To Draw If Encountered With "Everbody Put Your Hands Up This Is A Robbery" situation?

GlockJock

NES Member
So we were just having dinner at a restaurant, nice place on Route 1, and my daughter (LTC) who always looks around/thinks about "what if?" situations, leaned over and whispered to me "What if those two want to rob the place? When would we draw?"

This was the specific situation/layout etc, and I actually was curious as to what everyone here thinks...We were is a "back" room, off of the "main" restaurant area. Very busy..The place feels/seems like a converted bar, with a few "side" and "back " rooms (actually a real firetrap, the more I think about it, cuz if there were a fire/explosion from the kitchen, our only way out would be to actually pass the kitchen door, run past the bar and run outside. The "fire"/"emergency" exit was around another corner, past the restrooms, probably impossible to get to during a fire/emergency/robbery.

So my "kid" (she's 23 now, some of you know her and I from the range and clubs, etc) whispers "Dad, those two" and I look toward the bar and there's indeed two "punk" types who had wandered in from the road and were already bothering people, being arseholes etc. They "didn't look right". looked like they were "jacked up" on something (everything?) and it was making people uncomfortable indeed. If we were in Texas or Kentucky (etc) the owner/bartender/patrons etc would have probably "shown the two young gentlemen to the door", but here in MA they have the "right" to harass Liberals etc without fear of any "retribution" etc. The way they were carrying themselves would have earned them "Get the f*ck out of here and never come back" in many states, but, again, here we are in Liberchusetts. To make a long story short, we had finished our meal and paid the check anyways and were heading out. Walking past them I "eyed" one of them but he was "eyeing" the place, nervously checking out the bar, the rest of the restaurant etc. Nothing happened, but my daughter's question brought to mind a very good "NES Question":

Its just that these two brought the subject to mind with my kid AND my wife who is also LTC, who as mentioned ALWAYS thinks about fire exits, "cover" if some wingnut starts randomly stabbing people (Bertucci's, South Shore a couple years ago), etc etc....Suppose they realized they were out of cash for the next bag of heroin or meth, each pulled guns and yelled "Everyone, this is a ..." (like in "Natural Born Killers", and no I don't watch many movies but yes I DO frequently think about the "what ifs" in life)...

Do you wait to be shot? Do you hope they take the cash from everyone and scram? Do you wait til they're walking around ordering everyone to empty their pockets, see the G43 in mine (but NOT the G26 also I carry on my ankle) and see the daughter's LC9s etc and they "wig" out" and just use this as their flipping/tripping moment and start killing "for the fun of it" etc?

Do you wait and hope the situation dies down? Given the aforementioned "trap" situation, does that influence your "decision" and potential "timing" as to when its "go time"? I'm also with my wife and kids, all of whom are LTC and carrying, but I really have zero desire to have a shootout that involves my loved ones, yet I don't want my loved ones to be randomly executed like the folks at Luby's in Texas years ago. This (ESPECIALLY in this God forsaken Liberal hellhole) has to be one of the biggest/worst fears of any gun owner here. When to use it/draw it etc

I feel like Karl Malden in the old American Express commercial asking this (LOL), but...What would you do?
"What WOULD you do?"

Just sayin'

If your drawn down on its most likely a bad Idea to try to draw your weapon from concealment.?
Im on the thoughts that robbery at gun point is the goal of the robber for everyone to just give up their shit. Those that are going to shoot generally just do.
Now what would I do. Well if I felt there was no other choice I would go all wild west!

If someone is yelling at you to "put your hands up", you really need to survey the situation before pulling your gun.
ba9.jpg

Personally? I'm not opening fire unless my life or someone else's is in imminent danger.

If I could get at my weapon and have it at the ready but concealed, I would certainly do it, but I am not opening fire to protect property, it is not my cup of tea.

It is just too much of a hassle, and it rarely ends well.

You may be trained to shoot accurately at close distance, you may get a shot off, maybe two, but if the bad guys just start sprayin' and prayin' and wound or worse an innocent bystander because you wanted the preemptive strike, it is not going to end well for you in the legal system or court of public opinion.

Many CCW holders think they can shoot another human being, it isn't as easy as you think.

You draw, present and hesitate for one second, the bad guy goes into fight or flight mode and takes your moment of weakness as an opportunity to start shooting

The question you need to ask yourself is " if push came to shove can I take a life on reflex, am I trained and conditioned to draw and put 2 center mass/largest area of exposed flesh, evaluate and if required keep firing until the threat is stopped, while trying to find cover and possibly having to reload on the move... all in the matter of a few seconds while under extreme stress"

Last edited:
Next time, don’t let the hostess seat you so far from an exit.

Situational awareness.

Otherwise, see post #6 and watch the last ten minutes of the film depicted there. Act accordingly. Be Jules, not Ringo.

My wife asked me that question once. I told her that if they came in and robbed the place , empty the til, and didn't bother anyone else, not my problem.
Now, if they started threatening us or other customers, that would be a different story 'cause we could be next. I don't have that USCA insurance or whatever it is so I want to lay low if you know what I mean. You young guns can go all wild west if you want but my gun is to protect mine and me.

admittedly I would need to read more about what an appropriate response should be. But you have to also consider that in Mass and unless you are a cop on duty or off you are guilty until proven innocent when it comes to guns.

My first thought is that if me alone or me and my family are not in immediate danger then I would prepare for a defense while looking for an exit. My rule is that my guns are to only defend me and mine. So if I can get me and mine out then whatever happens to whoever is left is at the will of the bad guy.

I am not a hero and I will not put my life or freedom at risk for a majority of people who vote to infringe on my rights.

The OP mentioned the stabbing a few years ago....if I were there I would prepare to defend myself but I would not fire unless me or mine were threatened. Otherwise it plays out the same way as long as the BG doesn't decide to include me or mine.

I think that if U carry,,,ur paying attention to WTF is goin on around you,,,and ur with family,, and you can manage ur safe exit and if you can’t you know when you should present the equalizer,,,ur not a LEO

It’s going to differ in every situation because of layout, personalities, etc. I’m carrying to protect myself and my wife/family.

God forbid I miss and hit someone that shouldn’t have been. I’d have to be 125% confident before I drew.

View attachment 294570

Read this (very short) book, it says a lot of good things on this subject.

and this book too.

upload_2019-7-24_21-48-13.png

My wife will only sit facing the Entrance when we're out to dinner.
I'm not drawing on someone to protect my money or things, my family, in a heartbeat.
If I'm at the bank and there's a stickup I'm on the floor with everybody else.
If they start shooting people then it's on because I could be next.

Or, what if you are armed in a restaurant or major Boston hospital and someone starts stabbing an innocent, and you have a chance to save that persons life? Each scenario has played out in MA with an appropriate IM or PB PRN.

Last edited:
Or, what if you are armed in a restaurant or major Boston hospital and someone starts stabbing an innocent, and you have a chance to save that persons life? Each scenario has played on in MA with an appropriate IM or PB PRN.
If the good doctor had a sidearm he would have had at least some sort of chance. But even the fastest draw might prove too late.

"Like" most people "here" I would only "draw" if I felt like my "life" or my "loved" one's lives "were" in "imminent" "danger". If "some" "crackhead" is just "robbing" the "store" or bank "or" whatever, I'm not "getting" involved.

"Like" most people "here" I would only "draw" if I felt like my "life" or my "loved" one's lives "were" in "imminent" "danger". If "some" "crackhead" is just "robbing" the "store" or bank "or" whatever, I'm not "getting" involved.

Just wanted to quote this message.

Back
Top Bottom