• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can I get my pistol instructor certification?

shotgunwilly870

NES Member
I'm sure this topic is here somewhere I can't find it though, I'm looking for a place I can get my basic pistol instructor certification if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Scouter-Rick teaches it down in Kingston and Taunton. Jon Green does it in Northboro. Choose the one whose schedule fits your schedule and location is within reasonable traveling distance to you.

Here's Rick's info for his next class:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...rearm-Safety-Instructor-Taunton-5-17-and-5-18

The Training Forum (Derek put a tab on every page at the left) is the place to look for this info.

In MA, it's a two step process:

1. Get NRA instructor cert from an NRA training counselor (as mentioned, Jon Green and Scouter Rick have great reputations)

2. Send $50 and a copy of your LTC and NRA cert to the MSP to get a MA instructor's certificate good for 10 years.

I took mine with Scouter Rick in Taunton. Great guy, great class. Would highly recommend. Send him a PM for his class list.

After the ten years, does it cost another 250$ to renew?

There is a renewal fee to keep "Current" with the NRA. The MSP cert is $50 for 10 years.

You will have additional fees, as you add certs.

If you are looking to make money, talk to other Instructors. You will need a range for anything other than Home Firearm Safety, and many clubs frown on using the range for non-cub commercial purposes. The full Basic Pistol course runs 8 hours...think about the hourly rate you're earning, with what you charge.

I, and my son, have our certs as a "public service", and only get street cred and experience. You lean a lot teaching.

Are there other benefits to getting your Pistol Instructor Certs, other than being able to properly train someone? I am surprised to see so many people interested in this and have a hard time believing everyone is actually teaching and instructing in an official basis.

Actually, I think that most of the Instructors around here do it for the Good of the Order. I know that there are some that make a few bucks, but unless you have a facility like the one in Holliston, it would be tough, IMO.

Some have reportedly used it as a work-around to get rid of restrictions.

I assist in 4-6 classes a year, in different roles.

Pay doubles every year.

To teach the Basic Firearm Safety course, which NRA course do I need to take? I've heard that the Pistol Instructor course counts, as it obviously focuses on the LTC side of the house.

Back
Top Bottom